Pain meds for spaying

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've scheduled my baby to be spayed on june 23rd. It's going to be at our local humane shelter, because they do it for 50 dollars and my mom's not willing to pay the 180-350 that the veterinary hospitals around here offer. I asked them about the process; they told me that the cat shouldn't drink or eat after 8 PM the night before, and to bring her in at 8 AM. When I asked about pain meds, the lady over the phone said they don't send me home with any. My cat is really quite the 'fraidy cat, lol... when she's in pain, she wants to tell the whole world about it. If the shelter's not going to offer me any pain meds... is there anything I can give my cat in the following days to ease her pain?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they normally don't send any home.
You might ask if they give the pain shot that is normal for most clinics, the effects last around 24/48 hours without the drunken kitty effects.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never received or requested pain meds for any of my spayed cats. Never seemed to need it and I don't think it is normal for them to be given out.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I have never received or requested pain meds for any of my spayed cats. Never seemed to need it and I don't think it is normal for them to be given out.
A GOOD CARING Vet will send the cat home with pain meds! THIS is MAJOR surgery and she WILL be in pain!

I have had 3 girls spayed and one boy neutered and all got pain meds! (SO did I when I was spayed!)

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got pain meds with mine. the vet would not let me leave with out them. they gave me Metacam ... but we found out the hard way enless your kitty has a full tummy they will throw it back up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

A GOOD CARING Vet will send the cat home with pain meds! THIS is MAJOR surgery and she WILL be in pain!

I have had 3 girls spayed and one boy neutered and all got pain meds! (SO did I when I was spayed!)
I didn't know people were spayed! LOL

well, I did call back and the person who answered the phone replied that all the cat got was the anesthesia for the surgery. I guess I'm just a bit more worried than most, because my cat is a drama queen
The last time she had some blood drawn for testing, I brought her home and she lay in her basket for a day and half, refusing to eat or drink (the vet had said "she might feel sore for a few hours, but that should be it"). I think if she was able to talk she would probably be constantly saying, "I'm going to die! This really hurts! Owwwwww! What's wrong with you all! Pay more attention! Dying cat over here!" :p

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat or dog altered that didn't get either a pain shot, or oral pain meds for after care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure they probably have the stuff for pain meds- after all, they probably do even more major surgery at the shelter. They're the biggest one around here. If it costs me a bit extra to ask for a pain shot or meds, I wouldn't mind paying.

We'll see. I'm very prepared for my cat to lay in her basket for a week and pretend like everyone should come pay her respects before she passes.
She ought to get an Animal Oscar.

shadow_kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See shadow got put "under" for the spaying and then when she woke up she got a shot of pain meds. then today i start her oral pain meds. she gets 1 drop every day for the next 2 weeks. that really is suprizing that they did not give her anything for it.

i also had the option of getting before spay blood work (did not vet did blood work last month) a IV line so they have a direct path if they need to give her meds, and also i could have her micro-chipped.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do send pain meds home after spay's and neuter either, everything is given before and afetr the surgery. I just wanted to point out that afetr your kitty is spayed DO NOT give her any human pain meds if you thinks she is hurting, call the vet instead. Cats are very sensitive to medications and alot of human meds could kill her.

p.s When I was "spayed" also they sent home percocet, I took one and flushed the rest down the toilet because I did not like the way they made me feel.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties all got a shot at the vets, no meds were sent home with them and they all acted like nothing had happened to them.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Low cost spays and neuters do not include pain meds.

The whole reason spays and neuters cost about $200 is because you get more.

Preanesthetic blood screen.
Heart/Oxygen monitoring.
Pain Injection.
Pain meds.
Post op exam.

When my dog got spayed she was sore for a few days, and the incision the doctor made was TINY and she was still super sore. I didn't take the meds home for my cat after he got neutered because it takes like 5 minutes and yeah his bum was kinda sore for a day, but he was fine the next day. For spays I wouldn't mess around considering they move all the guts around and pull the ovaries up to cut them out... it's just painful. Even having an injection won't help the pain for the next few days. Plus pain meds help calm them down too.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here they give a pain shot at the surgery and that is it. Mine have varied in their reaction and pain. Some cats obviously feel it and meow and can't walk comfortably for a day or two, others seem to be fine in a few hours. I would ask if something is available, even if it costs extra.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK it isn't normal to be given pain meds after a spay - the last foster I had neutered was more hyper after the spay than before, and the way she was playing, you wouldn't know she had just come home from teh vets (I didn't encourage it, nor play with her though), and the first foster I had spayed climbed the 6ft wardrobe as I had taken away her 6ft bed in case she strained her stitches!!

jenscuffins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spaying(a complete ovariohysterectomy) is a major procedure with a moderate level of pain involved. Depending on the anesthesia given, little to no pain control may be achieved post operatively. If the Humane Society does not offer pain meds upon request, I'd call your regular vet before the surgery and explain.Don't be suprised if they are not extremely willing to help help out because the procedure was not done there.You know your cat best... pain control after surgery is important to recovery time. Agvances in veterinarymedicine prove that something that causes pain in us is also painful to pets, they just hide it better. Studies have shown uncontrolled pain can lead to chronic pain issues (and behavioral changes)in some pets.It's worth looking into for your girl(Would you want surgery without pain meds?!?)

zephyer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is being spayed right now..I got a voucher from the county as I am disabled...the clinic wanted $18 for take home pain meds...which I can't afford...but looking at the paperwork, I see they would give me 1 - 50 mg tab of Tramadol...BID for her for pain...that's good stuff...poor Abby...I have no money....I'll comfort her best I can...