Pain killers for cats

Jazmine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat just got 9 teeth removed and I was wondering what medicine works best for cats? They gave my cat Onsior but I did some research and I don’t want to be giving my cat that medicine because of all the side effects. Anything would help. Thank you !

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are notoriously difficult to treat for pain because they can have a very bad reaction to drugs that are safe for humans and other animals. Even a slight over dose of a pain killer usually given to cats could cause liver damage, so you need to be very careful about what you give them.

Please just follow your vet's advice. Don't try to treat your cat yourself or give them anything you read about on the internet.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of teeth removed! My kitty got Onsior and buprenorphine after her dental in January (7 teeth removed). The Onsior was great, but the buprenorphine made her unable to fall asleep -- she was awake but so sleepy for 2-3 days. :disappointed: On the positive side of things, she didn't seem to be in pain and was extra affectionate.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of teeth removed! My kitty got Onsior and buprenorphine after her dental in January (7 teeth removed). The Onsior was great, but the buprenorphine made her unable to fall asleep -- she was awake but so sleepy for 2-3 days. :disappointed: On the positive side of things, she didn't seem to be in pain and was extra affectionate.
One of the semi-ferals I have in my courtyard had all her teeth remoed but the four canines. She spent three days at the clinic, but I'm sure they didn't give her the brupenorphine. I think they just gave her some metacam.
And yes, she's much more affectionate and feeling better than before.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feral kiity who passed last week due to cancer that was missed in her eye/ face was given only gabapentin for pain before and after enucleation. I wonder if that was enough. I don’t know if they gave her something stronger after the surgery.