Status
Not open for further replies.

VadGTI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

You may remember me from such threads as:

Recurring constipation despite multiple vet visits - Any ideas?

and

Arthritis treatment

As some of you may recall, we've been battling constipation related issues for several months. That seems to have worked itself out, knock on wood. She goes pretty often, the stool looks good, and there's no more meowing or struggling in the litter box. Again, knock on wood.

However, her behavior has continued to change. A month or so before the first constipation episode, she started randomly meowing at night. Throughout the constipation battle, the meowing was becoming more frequent, and she soon started pacing. Per the threads above, tests were all coming back normal, other than the arthritis and constipation issue.

The meowing and pacing has now become much more frequent. She'll spend hours constantly walking the same path. Bedroom, hallway, bathroom, living room, dining room, kitchen and in reverse, where she returns to the bedroom, goes around the bed and stares at the wall for a bit. In the bathroom, she'll sit and stare at the corner between the tub and sink. As she walks, she's constantly meowing, and it's not her normal meow. She'll often do this at night (like this morning, where it lasted from 4 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.). She won't respond to her name as she does this.

Other behavioral changes: She no longer jumps on the bed, even though there's a stool/ladder for her to get up. She no longer interacts with us in the same way. We had a morning routine for years where she'd follow me around, jump on the bed and throw her self for rubs in the mornings and then hang out on my chest at night. She no longer does any of this.

She's also had several accidents in the last few weeks, including peeing on the dining room and hallway rugs and pooping and peeing outside of her favorite bathroom litterbox, including a poop this morning.

Basically, as far as her current activity, she's either pacing/meowing or sleeping. Could this be feline dementia? She just turned 12 in March. This all started in February and I can't imagine feline dementia progresses so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, without looking at your other threads, have you had her in to a vet? Have you had blood tests run and a physical check of her thyroid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VadGTI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yes, she's been to the vet twice since March. Blood tests and urinalysis coming back totally fine. They couldn't figure out the constipation issue and we started doing home enemas but that has resolved in the last few weeks (I'm running a poop log now, so I know we're on the right track).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet do a physical check on her thyroid, do you happen to know? She's only 12, that's just not that old.

Last edited:

VadGTI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet do a physical check on her thyroid, do you happen to know? She's only 12, that's just not that old.
I just looked back at the testing paperwork. They ran a T4 test (actually a Total T4, so TT4). The result came back as 2.3, with normal range being 0.8 to 4.7. So she was right in the middle for thyroid issues.

VadGTI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more thought, could she be going deaf?
You know, that's a thought... I'm pretty sure she's still reacting to noises relating to food, but I'm going to pay attention tonight to confirm. She may just be chasing her siblings when they run to the sound.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
{Troy McClure voice}
Hi!

You may remember me from such threads as:

Recurring constipation despite multiple vet visits - Any ideas?

and

Arthritis treatment

{/End Troy McCLure voice}

Ok, enough Simpsons humor. As some of you may recall, we've been battling constipation related issues for several months. That seems to have worked itself out, knock on wood. She goes pretty often, the stool looks good, and there's no more meowing or struggling in the litter box. Again, knock on wood.

However, her behavior has continued to change. A month or so before the first constipation episode, she started randomly meowing at night. Throughout the constipation battle, the meowing was becoming more frequent, and she soon started pacing. Per the threads above, tests were all coming back normal, other than the arthritis and constipation issue.

The meowing and pacing has now become much more frequent. She'll spend hours constantly walking the same path. Bedroom, hallway, bathroom, living room, dining room, kitchen and in reverse, where she returns to the bedroom, goes around the bed and stares at the wall for a bit. In the bathroom, she'll sit and stare at the corner between the tub and sink. As she walks, she's constantly meowing, and it's not her normal meow. She'll often do this at night (like this morning, where it lasted from 4 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.). She won't respond to her name as she does this.

Other behavioral changes: She no longer jumps on the bed, even though there's a stool/ladder for her to get up. She no longer interacts with us in the same way. We had a morning routine for years where she'd follow me around, jump on the bed and throw her self for rubs in the mornings and then hang out on my chest at night. She no longer does any of this.

She's also had several accidents in the last few weeks, including peeing on the dining room and hallway rugs and pooping and peeing outside of her favorite bathroom litterbox, including a poop this morning.

Basically, as far as her current activity, she's either pacing/meowing or sleeping. Could this be feline dementia? She just turned 12 in March. This all started in February and I can't imagine feline dementia progresses so quickly.
I've read this thread, and I think I've caught up on your other mentioned threads.

Regarding her meowing, pacing, and the decrease in jumping and interacting in the same ways, I would wonder if the hip arthritis is actually getting more painful for her. Have you gone over this possibility with the vet, maybe discussing various ways to address this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that this sounds like behavioral changes related to something going on physically, like loss of hearing or arthritis. It sounds like agitation, something bothering her or concerning her which has nothing to do with your care or treatment of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.