? Oxytocin induction failed....HELP!!!!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pondwader

I've always been told that a cat should not be given oxytocin injections until after labor has begun and preferably after at least one kitten has been born. I've been told it can cause the uterus to rupture if strong contractions result with the cervix not being open enough yet?

I had a queen that had to have oxytocin injections during queening many years ago, she had already delivered 6 and was having difficulty with the last two. It was a huge litter for a siamese, and only 5 out of 8 made it unfrotunately, but I remember it vividly... middle of the night, emergency vet trip etc. That queen was spayed as soon as that litter was weaned as well.
I am glad I am not the only one who has been told this. I have been told that cat inductions are not an option, and c-section is the only option for a cat who is overdue. I was surprised by the decision of the OP's vet to induce with oxytocin, and was curious if this was something new.
Here is another curiosity question, can a cat who has had a c-section still be bred again? My decison would be to have the cat spayed, however, my curiosity is whether breeding again is a safe option.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Here is another curiosity question, can a cat who has had a c-section still be bred again? My decison would be to have the cat spayed, however, my curiosity is whether breeding again is a safe option.
Stormi, if I recall correctly, one of the Bengal breeders here (shoot - I totally can't remember the name (SolarityBengals maybe?) had a cat with a c-section and the cat is now pregnant again? Does that sound familiar?

On a somewhat unrelated front, I got pregnant with my daughter 12 weeks after my son was born via c-section. The doctor said that it was completely safe. So I would think it was quite possible to have a repeat breeding, especially since most of the dedicated breeders I know don't usually breed their queens more than once a year...

possumstew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The agency I deal with spays and neuters adults and kittens/pups 6 months plus. With babies there's a very binding spay/neuter agreement and the reimbursement of part of the adoption fee upon submitting proof of having done so at six months. I wish they did the pediatric spay/neuters - reasons for not doing so may be financial, though.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by possumstew

The agency I deal with spays and neuters adults and kittens/pups 6 months plus. With babies there's a very binding spay/neuter agreement and the reimbursement of part of the adoption fee upon submitting proof of having done so at six months. I wish they did the pediatric spay/neuters - reasons for not doing so may be financial, though.
We used to adopt out on a spay contract....the spay was even covered under the adoption fee..they just needed to take the kitten to the vet by the date we supplied. Unfortunately we found that even with our best efforts...we had kittens that would come back to us pregnant. A cat can become as early as 4 months of age...leaving a 2 month window for escape/oops pregnancies. I have also found that financial reinbursement does not increase the chance of compliance. What exactly is the compliance rate of the agency you are working with?? I'd be interested as I have read as low as a 60% compliance on a spay contract. I'm also curious about the "binding contract"...if they do not hear back, do they go and take the cat back?? What if the person has moved?? What if they gave the kitten to someone else?? Too many open ended questions for me to ever feel comfortable with handing over an intact kitten. We fix our kittens at 10-12 weeks and have not had a single problem.

Katie

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i doubt it would interfer. the drug is mainly used as a pain reliever, and in cat that are IN labor, but its stalled, its used to stimulates contractions <snip> IF that didnt stimuate her to have contractions, then she isnt ready, maybe in a day or two. if she did implant late which happens, then she will go when she is ready, i think time to worry would be about 75 days. cause then you knwo even if she implanted late, she should have gone into labor by then.
Whoa! Oxytocin is NOT a pain reliever. It is a hormone that stimulates contractions (and milk production). When used in humans it requires close montioring of the patient (and baby) to be sure that overly strong/long contractions do not occur. It can cause uterine rupture at the worst case scenario. Trust me I did many a pitocin (Oxytocin/Pitocin same medicine) drip, we montiored the patients vital signs, frequency and quality/intensity of the contractions, and fetal heart rate, every 15 minutes. It is very, very powerful.

It is not to be used in a cat if a malpresentation is present, and if my cat did not respond (as happened once) I would request my vet to do a c/section (In my case, she delivered as they were preparing to do the c/section...she received several doses, at timed intervals).

I can see if you want to get a second opinion - I'd for sure request an xray to see if there is a kitten malpresenting, maybe request one more series of oxytocin shots and then to c/section if no contractions.

You risk the kittens by going into day 70 and over, those little placentas are not designed to last forever..no placenta, no kitten.

I must say that price tag for a c/section is far beyond any I have ever heard. I would have expected in the 400-600 range tops.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i misquoted, but i WAS right in saying that its for cats ALREADY in labor, so back off, people make MISTAKES

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i misquoted, but i WAS right in saying that its for cats ALREADY in labor, so back off, people make MISTAKES
Yeah they do, including me, all too often
But I would want someone to correct me. This is an important topic, it's an important decision to be made. Please don't take my post (if you did) personally. Hard to take the teaching aspect out of a retired nurse.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont mind being corrected, not at all! but it just sounded belittling, so i struck back, sorry!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i dont mind being corrected, not at all! but it just sounded belittling, so i struck back, sorry!
I am sorry too...no intention to belittle. I always have had a habit of giving more information than some folks want (not saying you, just explaining why I went into details & my experience in using it with humans
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few nights ago Terror had 5 healthy fat kittens. 1 light grey tiger, 1 orange, 1 darker tiger and 2 calicos. Thank you all for your help and concern. Terror is a great mom and loves her babies soooo much. She watches them while they nurse on her and she touches them with her paws.

THanks again
Cathy

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cathy,
Congratulations, I'm glad to hear she's delivered and that the kittens are doing well