Oxyfresh and Kidney Disease

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat has a kidney disease and he has gingivitis, and when he eats kibbles he kind of keeps dropping them or swallow them entirely. So I am wondering if Oxyfresh Dental Gel works on cats with chronic kidney disease? Does it help to remove the plaque/reduce his gum inflammation?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Gingerboy! Your question is a very good one and I hope that you get an answer soon. For Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and gingivitis, wet food is recommended. Gingivitis is extremely painful and trying to eat kibble will hurt - a lot. I soak any kibble that I feed and I make a thin gruel out of any canned food. Avoiding fish is important for kidney disease. I have cats with stomatitis which is an autoimmune disorder so I often add slippery elm decocotion to their gruel to help the food get through less painfully.
You may find useful information at this website:
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are referring to Oxyfresh Dental Gel for cats, right? I don't have any experience with it, but providing it is the formulation made for cats it is considered safe. I would not use the human version though.