Owners of Pet Feral Cats

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know how many of you have pet cats, who were originally feral, that right away got accustomed to the house and have always acted as if they had always been a house cat.

My long haired tabby, Dolly, was born as a feral outside my apartment in May 2012. Neighbors and I always noticed how friendly she was and she'd always be the one to be hand fed and come right up to us. She didn't even mind making herself comfy on the sofa of my place before going back outside with her fellow ferals before I closed the rear door.

I adopted her in October 2012 and she right away became accustomed to being a house cat. She likes to get cozy with me, loves attention, enjoys playing, likes to be brushed, and a vet said that she was one of his best cat patients ever. She even lets me rub her on the belly and doesn't mind getting lightly padded on the side. She grooms me too.

So, do any of you cat owners have pet ferals who have always been like Dolly, making it hard to believe they were originally feral?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never had a feral cat, but I have noticed a few members who have a similar story to yours.

I guess Dolly may have had feral parents, but it sounds like she knew kindness from a very early age.  She's one of the lucky ones.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess Dolly may have had feral parents, but it sounds like she knew kindness from a very early age.  She's one of the lucky ones.
This. At best she was a semi-feral.  She was not actually feral.  Feral usually means had no exposure to humans and is deathly afraid of them.  She had exposure to humans and liked them. It sounds more to me like she was an outdoor cat with feral parents than a feral cat.

True ferals never adapt to household living easily in my experience.  Some never can.  Many at best manage to coexist in the house but never seem to be really comfortable. Feral kittens are a different matter and can be socialized. True ferals usually can be socialized only to an extremely limited extent.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one who was quite wild, but probably not a true feral. When I took her to the low-cost spay clinic, the techs told me that she was reallyreally wild and I should release her as soon as possible, because she would be too stressed if I kept her inside to recover. But about a month after I released her, she decided I was her new bestest friend, and would rub up on my legs and let me pet her. So I brought her inside and she's perfectly friendly. Still shy with strangers though. I suspect she was a farm kitten (not very socialized but not fully feral) who was dumped in town at a young age.

I also have a family of ferals living indoors, a mama cat and her 4 kittens. I caught them when the babies were 10 weeks old. The 3 female kittens have all tamed to some extent, though not very trusting, but mama cat and the boy are still fully feral. They have completely adjusted to indoor living, seem quite happy lolling around the house (the mama cat will sleep on her back in the middle of the living room, LOL), and get along great with the other cats, but I can't get within 6 feet of them before they run away. I have never touched either of them, not even with the tip of my finger.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my 8 indoor-only pets started out feral. But none of them took to being inside right away. Some were clearly happy to not be outside dealing with other cats to get their food, and knew we were helping them feel better, so were "happy," or at least seemingly grateful or relieved (not sure the right word here!), but definitely not comfortable. :lol3:

theboysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes i have 2 boys. one was separated from his wild mother when he was just a few weeks old and i found him. his brother managed on his own for five months until i could tame him enough to touch him and bring him into my home. both have become real home boys. if fact i cant get tom to stay outside in an enclosed patio for long he wants in the house!

buddy is just that, a real pal. tom has a medical problem so he's a little crusty but i love them both.