Overweight week old kitten? Gas, diarrhea

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 week old kitten who weighs 588g!!! I am worried there might be something wrong. He is mom's favorite and is always latched to her, he is playful (kinda a little slow compared to the rest), he goes in and out of the playpen but doesn't run around like crazy (like the rest). His belly looks big but it is not hard. He's still not using the bathroom on his own since Mom is always stimulating him. Could something be wrong or is he just a big baby? He is the white kitten on the bottom.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just about right---they should be roughly 500 grams at 4 weeks. At any rate, mother-fed babies can't be overweight; they grow as fast as they're supposed to grow.

However, his stomach does look too big to me. If he were proportionately heavy I'd say he's fine, but that doesn't look normal. It would be a good idea to have the vet give him a checkup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet was closed today but I will be calling in the morning and see if I can get pictures to them. They're only doing emergencies at the moment so I can't just show up, I will ring them as soon as they open. Maybe worms? Neither him or mom have been dewormed. She's a rescue, all the other kittens look fine. His belly isn't hard to the touch either and he likes belly rubs so I know he is not in pain.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good idea to check with the vet! Let’s hope he’s just a little piggy who will grow into his belly!

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I must of taken that picture after a big feeding. His belly looks much more normal today

Attachments

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't get a hold of a vet! They all either hang up on me or tell me this is not a emergency therefore they cannot help me. Ughhhh so frustrating

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your little guy sounds like he’s fine. All other signs are normal. He may just be eating lots to grow on and will be a big boy. :)

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found him by the dry food bowl today having his first nibbles (it's softened and always available to all). He is way more active and playing a lot more. I've ordered some pyrantel to deworm everyone. To my understanding after all the research I've done the dosage is .1ml/lb repeated after 2 weeks, is this correct? Asking a vet is not possible, unfortunately they're being very rude and won't help unless he is seen (he can't be, they're only doing emergencies). His belly has gone down a bit and now seems to be like he has some extra skin. I see this in adult cats where they have a bit of floppy skin between the rear legs. Otherwise normal, hopefully he is either a obese little guy or some worms to get rid of 😬. He is 4 weeks 3 days weighting a big 600g. My 5 weeks 5 days are just slightly bigger.

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I have a mom cat who gave birth to her litter 5 weeks ago. Babies and momma were all dewormed on Wednesday 6th May, 2020 (3days ago) with pyrantel. Mom cat is having smelly gas and had diarrhea on Thursday, now having what I call "soft serve ice cream" with some formed parts. Also very stinky 😬 I haven't seen any worms in the poop yet. Should I be concerned about this? What is causing her smelly gas? The kittens are not displaying diarrhea neither is my other queen and her litter (who were also dewormed). She's otherwise acting totally normal

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update everyone! He was dewormed and is very active now. I was finally able to get a hold of a good vet and his belly is just a primordial pouch. Is saggy skin without anything filling it in! So happy that he's alright! I had seen it in adult cats but I guess some kittens can be born with it although is not as common! He also has began to eat wet and dry food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has mama been tested for parasites? If not, it’s probably a simple fix as I suspect she could do with being trated for parasites - metronidazole is usually prescribed. She’s been dewormed, so that leaves intestinal parasites. Easy to remediate!

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has mama been tested for parasites? If not, it’s probably a simple fix as I suspect she could do with being trated for parasites - metronidazole is usually prescribed. She’s been dewormed, so that leaves intestinal parasites. Easy to remediate!
She has not been tested since the vet won't do it "it is not a emergency" :( so I dewormed with pyrantel. Should I also treat the babies for intestinal parasites? And do I have to wait after giving pyrantel or it doesn't matter?

Zayasrios

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also she has never had diarrhea until after deworming

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may possibly be a reaction to the pyrantel. Give it a couple of days and let’s revisit the issue.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dewormer will sometimes cause diarrhea, if that's what it's from then it should clear up in a couple days.