Overweight tabby but not overeating

Charthecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Hope everyone is having a purrrrrfect day! :geekcat:

I have been noticing that my 6 year old (going on 7) tabby, Bentley, is not losing any weight but feeling heavier. Many people mistake her to be male because of her size.

She has been on the BARF diet for the last 2 years and we’ve been feeding her under the recommended amount for her age, weight and activity level from the get go as weight management. Her feedings are twice a day and they are controlled by us. She also is on a 24 hour fast once a week.

In the beginning, it seemed to work, where she lost some weight and became more active. Now it seems she’s reached a plateau.

We noticed, she is getting less and less active. We have assumed it is due to fear and stress. There are many other cats around in our condominium complex and my fur baby hisses when she sees every one of them. So since we’ve lived here, even though given the freedom to roam outside, she chooses to stay indoors and pretty much sleep all day. I’d also like to note that we adopted 2 feral kittens about 1 month ago. Let’s just say that Bentley is still adjusting.

With regards to pooping, I clean her litterbox shortly after at least once a day. I was thinking that she could be constipated but I don’t hear her straining when she goes and her poop looks normal. Is pooping once a day normal?

Can stress and fear cause weight gain even though she’s not overeating or are there possible underlying causes?

Open to any recommendations and solutions.

Picture below was taken just before posting this thread.

B7978280-0DB8-42D6-9E63-E5EABDF33E4C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
I have a lot of questions.. ..

Are you actually weighing her every couple weeks and keeping a log? Are you feeding her any canned food? Has she been seen by a vet recently? What is the barf diet?

Pooping once a day is normal.

Have you tried any calming products? Can you place some static cling window coverings on the lower part of the glass so she can't see the cats outside?

Did you go through an introduction process with her and the kittens?

Do you play with her regularly?

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

She looks like she's in good body condition but here's a way to better determine that (if this guide isn't as user friendly as you'd prefer, there are other adult cat body condition charts on the internet)

Using a cat body condition score - Royal Canin

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I missed that. Good eye FeebysOwner FeebysOwner !

24 hour fasts are supposedly good for tanked Betta fish. Not so for cats, because their livers function in such a way as to require food regularly, (ferals living the incredibly hard life that they do don't always have the option, which is likely a contributing factor in their shorter lives).

Here are a couple of quotes from a TCS article;
A healthy adult cat should be eating roughly one can (6 oz) of wet food or a cup of dry food each day. Quantities differ, according to the cat's weight and level of activity and most cat owners soon find out just how much their own cat requires.

Cats are built to consume food on a daily basis. Once calories stop coming in, the liver begins to process the cat's fat reserves. Unfortunately, cats only do this for a short while. When too much fat reaches the liver, it begins to "pile up" in there, in essence causing liver inflammation. This condition is called hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, and in cats, it can be very serious and even fatal. Their liver simply isn't built to deal with burning fat into energy for long periods of time.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to what’s been said about fasting and hepatic lipidosis, have you checked her thyroid?
Most people associate thyroid issues with skinny-always-hungry, but it can also work in the opposite direction.

Also, when you say BARF, are you referring to a brand? Or are you referring to a homemade diet? Is the formula designed for cats or dogs? Sometimes a formula designed for dogs will have extra veggies and carbs that cats can’t really process (they don’t have the same digestive enzymes as dogs). If you are using a dog formula, that could also contribute to weight gain, as well as stress on the pancreas, liver, and kidney.

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every authority on cat nutrition that I'm aware of says that fasting cats is dangerous to their health and strongly contraindicated.

I'm also aware that many raw-feeders do regularly fast dogs w/o negative effects, but cats are not dogs.

There are downsides to the BARF diet, especially the inclusion of plant ingredients and (therefore) carbohydrates that are not species appropriate for obligate carnivores, and which are directly linked to weight gain. For this reason BARF has largely gone out-of-fashion as a raw feeding model.

You might reconsider how you formulate your raw meals (and think about removing all plants and carbohydrates) The amount of calcium/bone in the BARF model is an additional cause of concern. Cats should ideally be getting soft-edible bone in the 6% range.

The excessive amount of bone that is commonly called for under the BARF model is constipating. It is what one should expect from feeding excessive bone and further evidence that one should make changes. To provide an example, the estimated bone content of mice and rats (cat's main prey in the wild) is about 5% bone.

Bill

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Box of Rain Box of Rain - perhaps I shouldn't have, but I just assumed this is the diet being referred to - if followed correctly, it would seem quite appropriate. There are two much more specific guidelines included in this link - which I also provided links to.
What is a BARF Diet for Cats? Safety, Preparation, FAQs & More | RAWZ (rawznaturalpetfood.com)
Feline Nutrition's Easy Homemade Cat Food Recipe (feline-nutrition.org)
Making Cat Food (catinfo.org)
Traditionally advocates of a BARF diet (which was the pioneering raw diet at one time) have called for the inclusion of plants (that are not really species appropriate for obligate carnivores) and bone percentages that are far too high. In addition to grinding everything, which eliminates the dental benefits of cats tearing meat and gnawing bone.

There are now variations in BARF formulas, with some adapting to legitimate criticisms of the original model, but for the most part BARF has been supplanted by the "prey model" (PMR) in the raw feeding community as a more optimal way of raw feeding.

Bill

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
… There are now variations in BARF formulas …
Which is why I asked the question of what formulation the OP is using.

Over the years, I’ve seen lot of folks who may have started on their raw journey with BARF for their dogs just assume it would be fine for their cats as well... which is indeed not the case.

Also, personally, I feed our dog the cat formulation, without extra veggies and such. Dogs are carnivores, not true omnivores. While dogs can process those things, it’s really more of a survival mechanism of their system meant to get them through lean winters. They aren’t actually supposed to be eating veggies as part of their everyday diet.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which is why I asked the question of what formulation the OP is using.

Over the years, I’ve seen lot of folks who may have started on their raw journey with BARF for their dogs just assume it would be fine for their cats as well... which is indeed not the case.

Also, personally, I feed our dog the cat formulation, without extra veggies and such. Dogs are carnivores, not true omnivores. While dogs can process those things, it’s really more of a survival mechanism of their system meant to get them through lean winters. They aren’t actually supposed to be eating veggies as part of their everyday diet.
Yep. One can look back at the emergence of BARF and appreciate that at one time it was at the forefront of re-thinking how to best feed carnivorous pets, but time marches on and some of the deficiencies (including excessive amounts of bone and the inclusion of plant based ingredients) of the original BARF model have become apparent.

A cat (or dog) fed a properly balanced raw diet should produce a minimal amount of stool and it is typically firm, but they ought not be constipated (and excessive bone/calcium is almost always the culprit otherwise).

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charthecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!

Are you actually weighing her every couple weeks and keeping a log? Are you feeding her any canned food? Has she been seen by a vet recently? What is the barf diet?

Have you tried any calming products? Can you place some static cling window coverings on the lower part of the glass so she can't see the cats outside?

She looks like she's in good body condition but here's a way to better determine that (if this guide isn't as user friendly as you'd prefer, there are other adult cat body condition charts on the internet)

Hi! Welcome!

Hello! Good to be here and happy to know this site exists for beloved cat owners. Thank you for your response.
To answer your questions…
I am not weighing her directly or keeping a log. Just going off of how she feels when I carry her day by day. I am not giving her any canned food or even dry food, strictly BARF (bones and raw food) that I purchase from a distributor. Her last vet visit to get clearance to travel (we relocated from Europe to Costa Rica) was almost a year ago and everything was good then. Her annual checkup is approaching.
Yes, we’ve tried many calming products to no avail. Her anxiety seems so great that it supersedes any effects a calming product is supposed to have.
She loves to sit out on the window ledge, being a spectator to her surroundings. The hissing and hostility happen more when she’s in direct proximity to another cat.
We have gone through some type of introduction process with her and the kittens. Whether it’s the correct way, I don’t know. Force was not involved. We are letting her get acquainted with them at her own pace. She was staying in the master bedroom to get fed because the kittens would be in the kitchen. In the past few weeks, she’s been okay eating in the kitchen as long as there is distance between her and the kittens. She will hiss with occasional air swatting if any eye contact is made, for example when they pass by her or vice versa.
We try to play with her regularly but she shows no interest, not even the laser. She was more playful as a kitten but through the years, she just gets more excited about eating than playing. We definitely show her love and affection and give her attention throughout the day (we work from home).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What did you feed her before starting the barf diet? She was less interested in mealtime and more interested in play then, correct?

Stress doesn't cause weight gain. It appears to me that you're way underfeeding her yet you're detecting that she feels heavier.

I would suggest that she needs to be seen by a vet sooner than later.

Last edited:

Charthecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:. Echoing Furballsmom Furballsmom . Except that I know BARF stands for "bones and raw foods" (muscular meat, bones, and organs).

What I don't understand is why you put your cat through a 24 hour fast weekly.
The weekly 24 hour fast has been corroborated by Madeleine Innocent, a homeopath. There are also other sources online that support this When we fast Bentley, she still has access to water. When it comes to health for us humans and fur babies, my partner and I strongly believe in a natural and holistic approach, hence switching Bentley to a BARF diet 2 years ago.

In addition to what’s been said about fasting and hepatic lipidosis, have you checked her thyroid?
Most people associate thyroid issues with skinny-always-hungry, but it can also work in the opposite direction.

Also, when you say BARF, are you referring to a brand? Or are you referring to a homemade diet? Is the formula designed for cats or dogs? Sometimes a formula designed for dogs will have extra veggies and carbs that cats can’t really process (they don’t have the same digestive enzymes as dogs). If you are using a dog formula, that could also contribute to weight gain, as well as stress on the pancreas, liver, and kidney.
Thyroid came to mind. BARF is not a brand but a type of diet. They have a BARF distributor here where we live in Costa Rica and it is all natural, prepared once you place an order so mimicking as if you’re preparing the food yourself. It is specifically for cats.

What did you feed her before starting the barf diet? She was less interested in mealtime and more interested in play then, correct?

Stress doesn't cause weight gain. It appears to me that you're way underfeeding her yet you're detecting that she feels heavier.

I would suggest that she needs to be seen by a vet sooner than later.
Bentley always has been a foodie from the get go. Before BARF, she used to be on a combination of wet food/dry food diet, brands that were recommended by the vet (names escape me now). In the beginning it was free feeding (new pet owner mistake) and over the years, I learned about the importance of controlled feeding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
my partner and I strongly believe in a natural and holistic approach,
Can you get your cat to a reliable, certified vet, preferably cat-only if you can find one in that country?

I could comment about the fact that your approach obviously isn't working for your cat and she's trying to tell you, but in any case I'm very concerned about her health and wellbeing. I'm sending good luck vibes to Bentley and to the kittens. Oh, by the way, I hope to goodness you aren't fasting the kittens.

Before that, I'm repeating this in case you missed it above
These are a couple of quotes from a TCS article;
A healthy adult cat should be eating roughly one can (6 oz) of wet food or a cup of dry food each day. Quantities differ, according to the cat's weight and level of activity and most cat owners soon find out just how much their own cat requires.

Cats are built to consume food on a daily basis. Once calories stop coming in, the liver begins to process the cat's fat reserves. Unfortunately, cats only do this for a short while. When too much fat reaches the liver, it begins to "pile up" in there, in essence causing liver inflammation. This condition is called hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, and in cats, it can be very serious and even fatal. Their liver simply isn't built to deal with burning fat into energy for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Charthecatlover Charthecatlover I would be very wary of trusting a homeopath's advice about cat nutrition or health. We have an article here explaining the dangers of homeopathic remedies.

Are Alternative Treatments Safe For Cats? – TheCatSite Articles

There was even a petition among vets in the UK to ban the use of homeopathic remedies in veterinary medicine, because so many animals were being harmed by this

Why we are calling for a ban on vets offering homeopathic remedies | Danny Chambers

Unsurprisingly studies have also found that homeopathy is ineffective with human beings too. It's of no more use than blood letting or sugar pills, any benefits are thought to simply be a placebo effect gained from talking to a sympathetic listener

Homeopathy's lack of effectiveness is no surprise

As others have said, fasting even for a short period can be dangerous to cats. Please talk to a licensed vet if you are concerned about your cat's well being.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The weekly 24 hour fast has been corroborated by Madeleine Innocent, a homeopath. There are also other sources online that support this When we fast Bentley, she still has access to water. When it comes to health for us humans and fur babies, my partner and I strongly believe in a natural and holistic approach, hence switching Bentley to a BARF diet 2 years ago.

Thyroid came to mind. BARF is not a brand but a type of diet. They have a BARF distributor here where we live in Costa Rica and it is all natural, prepared once you place an order so mimicking as if you’re preparing the food yourself. It is specifically for cats.

Bentley always has been a foodie from the get go. Before BARF, she used to be on a combination of wet food/dry food diet, brands that were recommended by the vet (names escape me now). In the beginning it was free feeding (new pet owner mistake) and over the years, I learned about the importance of controlled feeding.
Madeleine Innocent also believes that AIDS in humans is best treated with homeopathy--which is a totally ineffective pseudoscience (and a fraud on the public)--so I'd suggest consulting better sources on feline nutrition. Her advice is dangerous.

Bill

Charthecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get your cat to a reliable, certified vet, preferably cat-only if you can find one in that country?

I could comment about the fact that your approach obviously isn't working for your cat and she's trying to tell you, but in any case I'm so concerned about her health and wellbeing that I'm going to leave this thread. I'm sending good luck vibes to Bentley and to the kittens. Oh, by the way, I hope to goodness you aren't fasting the kittens.

Before that, I'm repeating this in case you missed it above
These are a couple of quotes from a TCS article;

We are not fasting the kittens. Bringing the kittens into our home was not a matter of, “Let’s get more cats.” The kittens chose us when we helped get their feral mama spayed. At first we were providing food for her on our balcony and soon her litter discovered where her food source was coming from. The initial intention was to foster them but as much as we have won their hearts, they have won our hearts. There are many homeless/feral cats in Costa Rica. We are more than happy to help in any way we can. Bentley has shown to be adaptable to change but it has to be at her pace. And to not exacerbate feelings of jealousy, we haven’t been fasting Bentley as often since the kittens came into the picture. I think you missed that in the beginning BARF did help her lose weight and we even noticed an increase in activity, and now she seems to have plateaued.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens chose us when we helped get their feral mama spayed. At first we were providing food for her on our balcony and soon her litter discovered where her food source was coming from. The initial intention was to foster them but as much as we have won their hearts, they have won our hearts.
They do that :)

I think you missed that in the beginning BARF did help her lose weight and we even noticed an increase in activity, and now she seems to have plateaued.
You're right I did, sort of. The diet itself is one thing, but the fasting is another thing.

I mean, obviously you're here because you're concerned.

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is the bone percentage of the BARF formulation? A raw fed cat should not be straining to defecate or constipated in the least on a raw diet and when it does happen it is almost always do to an excessive bone ratio. Excessive bone can cause a serious mineral imbalance and significant health consequences as a result.

And what sort of vegetables are in the mix and in what percentage? Carbohydrates from plants can cause weight gain and contribute to a lack of energy.

What are the mix of organs and offal, and in what percentages?

I'm very supportive of raw feeding--done correctly--and feed a raw diet to my cat (and dog), but am mindful the risks from unbalanced BARF formulations.

Bill

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't humans and the window to cure them of illnesses is smaller than that for humans. Sometimes homeopathic treatments take too long to work for a cat and the cat crosses over before the cure can be effected. This, unfortunate reality, is why a visit with a mainstream vet to get things in balance might be the best approach, at least for now.