Overgrooming , should I let him outdoors?

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old cat is compulsively overgrooming. He's either sleeping or licking.  He was an outdoor cat at our last home, but we're in an apartment now, and I am keeping him indoors-- although my housemate's cats are indoor/outdoor, and my cat is thankfully very road-savvy.

When I got my Friendly Gray Lion, he was bald in the animal shelter, had all the advanced vet testing, skin-scrapings, allergy tests, etc. and nothing. No fleas then or now. So yes, I understand that this is merely stress-- but I don't think Feliway is going to help him. I'll purchase one, but itdidn't help him before, only being allowed outdoors helped him. (excellent hunter, came home each night to sleep with me)

I am worried that Lion wil never come back, because a neighbor lady leaves food out, and for the 2 weeks since we moved here, Lion has been kept in the room we share. (That's no fun) I do ay with him with toys that are interactive. Ive taken him out 3 times on a comfortable harness and 6 ft lightweight lead, but I think it makes him worse afterwards.. I'm not sure.

My only other option would be to get anti-anxiety meds from a vet, keep him doped up enough to break the cycle.

Would you do this, or allow Lion to be indoor-outdoor? (A quiet street, a road-savvy cat, very mellow, but one other cat, a potential tough-guy cat roaming the neighborhood) Yes, I know that this is a cost-benefits risk. I've always been an "indoor only" viewpoint person, until seeing how my cat responded to having freedom to enjoy the outdoors in our last home, watching his health improve as the overgroming stopped.  I do worry of the risks though. Sigh. This isn't easy!

Thank you for your ideas for my sweet, friendly fellow!

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I agree it is probably stress and since it has only been 2 weeks since the move, that might be the why. If you try the feliway diffusers, they do take time to work, and you may need more then one, but if he is in just one room, one should do. The pheromones need time to become infused into the room, which takes at least a week I think.

Have you tried any of the spirit essences? Like rescue remedy or similar?

Honestly, I'd hate to see him outdoors and I too am a believer in keeping cats safely indoors or leash walked. Another option, and I don't know what you housing situation is, is to make a safe outdoor enclosure maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Katluver for your input. He unfortunately slipped out when I went outdoors, and now I just need to try to breathe.
 I'm anxious, but realize that this is what he likely needs. I may still decide to try (again) to keep him indoors, again trying the plug-in diffusers, his scratch tree, toys, etc. but honestly: these have not helped him before when we lived in an apartment for 6 months. To watch him franticly pulling his hair out, making sores in his skin,  and know that the only other viable option may be dope-up drugs, is worrisome. (Stress is pretty serious when the animal makes sores on his skin). No doubt, this is a risk, a cost/benefits balance.  
I'm not sure I want him outdoors, but I am sure I want him to be peaceful and content.  I wish that enriching/enhancing his indoor environment was enough for him, and it's surprising that it isn't, because he's such a mellow cat. I can't be the first person to have an outdoor cat not respond to homeopathy in his water, diffusers, cat trees,  interactive toys, etc.

I believe he will come home, and I will try to breathe deeply until then. I love him so much, I just want him to be well and happy. Thank you for any kind thoughts for my friendly Lion and I.

Last edited:

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Friendly Gray Lion is home!
 He was gone all of 1 and a half hours, 2 hours max. He was right in the yard, he likely didn't go far. He came immediately when called, as he usually did when outdoors at our last home! He always stayed near the house at our last home, too. Maybe a brief visit to neighbors on either side as part of his usual survey routine. I will get a break-away collar and tag for him too, though, just to be safer that he isn't mistaken for a stray.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad he's sticking close to home! It occurred to me, though, and I am not sure of your situation, but is it possible to make an enclosure for him? That way, he can be outside but not loose.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Friendly Gray Lion is home!
 He was gone all of 1 and a half hours, 2 hours max. He was right in the yard, he likely didn't go far. He came immediately when called, as he usually did when outdoors at our last home! He always stayed near the house at our last home, too. Maybe a brief visit to neighbors on either side as part of his usual survey routine. I will get a break-away collar and tag for him too, though, just to be safer that he isn't mistaken for a stray.
You should have him microchipped, also. That way, if he is ever lost, the shelter can scan him and call you.

purrbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ondine, I love the enclosure idea, but unfortunately, I am staying at a friend's home right now, and that's not an option. Thank you for the idea though!

Catspaw, YES! Microchipping is a super idea. I'll arrange for that at the vet's as well as getting him a break-away collar and tag with phone number and address on it.

Thank you to all who read and responded to this. The cat lovers here are so very kindhearted, and you all seem to 100% understand how much my cat means to me. This is a great forum with the best people! Thank you.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are most welcome. We are here because we love cats so much, and want all cats to be as happy and healthy as they can be.