Overgrooming/allergy

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old cat has had this bald spot for about 2 years now. I've taken her to the vet at first they said it was fleas but she had none and she's indoor only. They gave her a steroid shot and allergy shot, it seemed to help a little bit but she went straight back to licking and biting. I brought her back to the vet a few months ago because she started getting scabs, they said she had a bacterial infection from the scabs so she got more shots.
The scabs have healed up but she continues to not let her fur grow back.
I do have her on HomeoPet Feline Skin and Itch drops I put in her wet food, it does seem to be helping and she's growing fur back but Amazon has it shipping every 2 months and she's currently out. I changed it to ship every month now. I almost went as far as paying $500 for allergy testing!
20210825_142608.jpg

20200720_104937.jpg

Her tummy now after being on the drops plus leg fur is back!
20211006_132841.jpg

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you think it's allergy related, could you try exclusion feeding for a bit to try to narrow it down if allergy test is not an option?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get another opinion from a different vet. The current vet seems to be not concerned about finding the reason fro the large bald patch and giving you band aid treatments which clearly aren't helping very much.

A food trial can be done without the vet being involved, just to see if your cat has some sensitivity / allergy to something in food. Food sensitivities are common in cats and can cause all sorts of skin issues. Chicken and junk fillers are common culprits of skin issues. A cat can eat the same food for years before a reaction occurs. Pet food companies often change suppliers, change ingredients or recipes, etc without putting any notice on the label. What brands and types of food are you currently feeding your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd get another opinion from a different vet. The current vet seems to be not concerned about finding the reason fro the large bald patch and giving you band aid treatments which clearly aren't helping very much.

A food trial can be done without the vet being involved, just to see if your cat has some sensitivity / allergy to something in food. Food sensitivities are common in cats and can cause all sorts of skin issues. Chicken and junk fillers are common culprits of skin issues. A cat can eat the same food for years before a reaction occurs. Pet food companies often change suppliers, change ingredients or recipes, etc without putting any notice on the label. What brands and types of food are you currently feeding your cat?
Currently feeding her blue Buffalo skin and stomach sensitivity food, I tried a bunch of foods and brands except prescribed food for her but it's very expensive for me

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it this one? BLUE™ Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe It looks like it only comes in dry form? The food contains chicken which is a very common culprit of food sensitivities and skin issues in cats. I suggest avoiding chicken for a good 13 weeks or so to see if that helps the bald skin issue or not. Blue Buffalo does make limited ingredient diet dry and canned foods that are generally good for cats with food sensitivities. The different formulas do contain potato which may be a trigger of sensitivities / allergies in some cats.There are other novel protein foods you can try for a food trial. Prescription food isn't necessary at all.

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it this one? BLUE™ Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe It looks like it only comes in dry form? The food contains chicken which is a very common culprit of food sensitivities and skin issues in cats. I suggest avoiding chicken for a good 13 weeks or so to see if that helps the bald skin issue or not. Blue Buffalo does make limited ingredient diet dry and canned foods that are generally good for cats with food sensitivities. The different formulas do contain potato which may be a trigger of sensitivities / allergies in some cats.There are other novel protein foods you can try for a food trial. Prescription food isn't necessary at all.
I'll see how that goes :) I'm moving in a few months, hopefully will find a better vet, I currently live in a small town so vet options are limited unfortunately

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She loves these, should I stop the chicken ones as well?
Screenshot_20211007-204339_Chrome.jpg