Overdue Cat. Advise Please.

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All. Firstly i am new here and was looking for some advice. My cat is pregnant for the first time. I didnt no she was pregnant until just over 2 weeks ago. I have a male bsh (Carrick) and Polly is a normal cat. Neither of them go out. So he is 100% the dad. I didnt no they mated and didnt even know she was in season. So i had her scanned because i suspected she was pregnant as she was getting fat and her nipples were huge. The sonographer said she had about a week and half to 2 weeks left. The 2 weeks has now passed. And Polly is still very pregnant. I keep thinking today is the day. But nothing is happening. I had her rescanned 2 days ago for peace of mind. And she said all looks fine its just a waiting game. Does anyone have any reassurance for me as im getting quite nervous that its taking so long :(
Thanks for reading sorry its so long. Lucy xxx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything is ready and waiting for the arrival. She definitely cant get any bigger and shes looking so fed up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The question is if she has dropped? Almost all do a couple of days before delivery.

As a rule of thumb advice its almost always better to wait it out than panic stricken force things.

Unless you discover something alarming as heavy bleeding or high fever.

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean has she dropped?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Prior to birth, kittens “drop” down close to the birth canal in preparation for labor and delivery. Once dropping occurs, a cat is very close to labor.

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How can i tell? Sorry for the questions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats will often look thinner in their sides and heavier towards their rear. But if you can’t tell, don’t stress about it.

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i will have a look when shes up and about. Thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They come when they come :). It's not usually a problem as long as she isn't in distress.

Has the male been neutered yet? If not, keep him away from her until after she's spayed. She can get pregnant again right away, and that's not exactly good for her! (Plus I don't know how many kittens you want. . .) And males can stay fertile (sperm hiding in the tubes) for a couple weeks after they're neutered.

Usually cats birth easily, but be sure to keep the vet's emergency number handy just in case.

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My little princess had her babies yesterday morning. She had 2. One is black like her and the other is blue like its daddy who is a bsh. Definitely no more. Was quite worried as i had her scanned and they said they saw 4-5. But hey ho. Must of been wrong. The babies were pretty big so my friend said. Kitten 1 was 119g and kitten 2 was 121g. Weighed them both tonight and theyre 158 and 155g. Does this sound ok?.I am so happy with how she is. Shes a natural!! Shes so happy and content and so are her babies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty big! And they put on a lot of weight too! She must have good fat milk. Keep weighing them every day; you want to see them gain around 10g a day. But I don't think that will be a problem ;).

We need some pictures!

Lucywebb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In not sure how to upload pictures?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In not sure how to upload pictures?
Click on "upload a file" (next to "post reply"). Once you've uploaded (and you can include multiple photos in one post), you have to choose whether to insert the photo as a full image or as a thumbnail.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear mom and the babies are doing well!

Are you able to keep dad away? They could mate again at any time.