overdose on advil?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^You need actual medical care - find a way to get it ASAP. Nothing OTC is going to help you right now. You risk the infection spreading and putting you in the hospital.

Naproxen is just another NSAID. If ibuprofen didn't help it won't either.

Also, if you go to a doctor or back to the ER and want them to take you serious - don't even mention getting anything for the pain. Just demand that something be done for the infection and swelling. Relieving that will eventually decrease the pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in all honesty I don't care much about the pain. I mean I do of course but my desire is to rid the infection, and as you said, the pain will reduce.

The problem with it is I am so delirious right now I'm not sure I can drive. I haven't really slept since Friday because i close my eyes, fall asleep almost instantly, then I wake up 15 minutes later in a cold sweat and excruciating pain. SO I'd REALLY like a good 10 hours sleep

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there no one who can take you? The infection sounds like it could be very bad at this point...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then you need to call an ambulance. Infection in the blood is very very serious. Thats why everyone is telling you ASAP.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Advil is ibuprofen, and while you can take a good deal more than you might think, you CAN OD on it. 1200 mg per day is considered non-prescription max, but under prescriptions, you may see a lot more than that.

Tylenol is acetaminophen. Recently, researchers have been saying that the maximum recommended dose is very close to an overdose, so you should never take more than the recommended.

The problem with overdoses with these AND aspirin is that the OD symptoms can often be very similar to the reason you took the stuff in the first place.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well, in all honesty I don't care much about the pain. I mean I do of course but my desire is to rid the infection, and as you said, the pain will reduce.

The problem with it is I am so delirious right now I'm not sure I can drive. I haven't really slept since Friday because i close my eyes, fall asleep almost instantly, then I wake up 15 minutes later in a cold sweat and excruciating pain. SO I'd REALLY like a good 10 hours sleep
Get thee in an ambulance and get to a hospital! Now!

Mouth or ear infections can be extremely serious because they can cross the blood brain barrier and cause meningitis. By the sounds of what you describe you have a serious infection going on!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dental office I work in, we have specific appointments for emergencies only. I have to tell you-if a dentist has NEVER seen you before, you WILL have to see him before you get any meds!Any doctor I have worked for, doctors will NEVER just call something in if they haven't seen you before!

Anyways, you need to get to a hospital NOW! That infection sounds bad!

Good luck

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Is there an abcess?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to wait until about 3 am when the hospital should be empty. I'm feeling less dizzy now anyway. I'll be fine.

Between this and the diabetes thing can you tell I dread hospitals?

Yeah there's an abcess. it's very easy to see now.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know what happens. I was going to suggest oil of cloves, but it's way past that. You need the emergency room - we are so worried for you!!!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah I'll follow up. I'm just waiting till the wee hours of the morning when it's quiet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending MEGA prayers and vibes that your hospital visit goes well - I can't believe that they didn't get you on antibiotics last time and now you've suffered so long and your condition has deteriorated

. If you can't drive yourself, then first thing in the morning, call your local senior center & see if they have volunteers who'd drive you....age is not the issue, your condition is, and they should understand.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you've decided to go back to the hospital.
Be pushy, don't let them send you home without treatment.

What diabetes thing? That must have slipped my mind (see people, I can't remember everything). Do you have diabetes or strongly suspect that you may? Because if so, that combined with dental issues is very serious.

A few months ago I had an uncle admitted to the hospital in a coma. It turns out that it was from his teeth. His diabetes had caused them to decay quickly and put him at more risk from infection - in this case an infection that was turning into sepsis. He ended up getting them all removed.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THanks both of you.

I found out i have diabetes a couple months ago. my glucose was over 400 at times. It's MUCH lower now though.

I actually got pissed a few minutes ago and called that same dentist to get their service. So i could check and see if they had a cancellation. She actually got me in at 7:30 am which is only about 8 hours from now. so i'm sure i'll be fine then.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they are going to see you this morning. They won't be able to actually do anything, but they can give you antibiotics that you desperately need. As bad as it sounds, I would probably do a follow up round of antibiotics instead of just the one bottle. Sometimes with a tooth infection that bad, even if they pull the tooth, etc. after the swelling goes down, the infection can linger.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is lovely. lol

I just got back from the dentist. She was kind enough to tell me that it's not an abcess. it's THREE abcesses. at one time? no wonder this is hurting so bad. She did a drill and drain thing, gave me a zpack and vicodin to last for a week. I lost my insurance a few months ago so it's out of pocket but I'm not about to have my teeth pulled. So i have to get 3 root canals. $5280.00 nice huh?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow!!! Yikes! At least you're getting it treated and I get - in spite of the pending cost - that you are feeling better!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually it's a bit embarassing. the first thing i thought was 'my god, am I not taking care of my teeth? i brush 3 times a day at least, and floss once" but i guess it doesn't always help.

Maybe the one infection just spread internally. Who knows. I can assure you I don't have 'crack head mouth'

And yes, I'm getting the work done. The last thing I could imagine is walking around with 3 teeth missing.