Over Grooming

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
10 years ago I got my rescue (and grotesquely abused) cat. He is vet presumed 15, currently. When I got my cat he had self inflicted and human inflicted wounds. He was put on Xanax as needed and Prozac daily. We weaned him of both as he turned into a wonderfully trusting and well adjusted member of our family.

He occasionally will get stressed out and over groom, causing little bald spots and light bleeding. It’s always in the same spots and I of course extensively had him tested to be certain it was not other overlooked issues.

Well my question is, we got a new kitten for him (he loves kittens and lost his kitty companion recently). I’m very big on having pets in twos.. there’s just so much I can’t do for him since I’m not a cat. I need human interaction so I feel he needs cat interaction.

Although he behaves very happy around kitten, the overgrooming is a red flag, and the fact that he’s doing a new spot is alarming.

If he causes harm we use an e-collar for healing (he doesn’t seem to mind it) and Xanax as needed once the e-collar is removed (though it’s been over a year since that was needed).

What do you think? What would you do? I’ve been through so much with this guy, am I just emotional and over thinking it?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm maybe he needs to be on Prozac until the kitten is a year old? Or at least 6 months old? I’m wondering if
it is better for him to be on a light Prozac 24/7 over him stressing out to the point that he over grooms? (Some cats like people just need antidepressants. If your cat is one, why not give them to him?)

Maybe this question could be better answered in health forum?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So, he has gone over a year without over-grooming and having to have Xanax, and this just started up again when the new kitten was brought in? In addition to the new spot he is over-grooming, is he still continuing to also irritate the 'old' spot? Either way, he is reacting to the new situation of having a kitten in his home, which changes the dynamics for him dramatically.

Even if he likes kittens, he is older - and already prone to anxiety - and generally it can take a lot longer to get an older cat to adapt to new circumstances. Did you do the proper introduction process when you brought in the new kitten? How long has the new kitten been in your home?

He might need something consistently for a while until he has had time to adapt to his new life with another kitten in the home. If you would prefer to not use Prozac, ask your vet if there are others calming treatments you could try instead.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
We got the kitten 4/27/19
He was born 4/20/19

I originally went to the pound to look at kittens because he is territorial and mean to other adult cats and I felt it was too risky to try. When I was there a woman was attempting to surrender the 7 day old that had been rejected by its mother. The staff couldn’t take on the feed schedule. Long story short, I have experience hand raising kittens (and rodents, which are raised similarly).. my 15yo cat has also been exposed to newborn kittens and he LOVED them before so I was excited. I had to make sure he was healthy before introducing them so he “met” the kitten 5/29 after a thorough check up and deworming. I put kitten in his own carrier and let big kitty smell him through bars.

We did this for 5 days then I let big kitty smell him while I held kitten.

Now big kitty will groom baby kitten and get me if kitten cries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I see, his behaviors say “I love this baby thing!” But hod bald spots tell me something is bothering him and the new kitten was coincidentally on the same time line

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he is accepting the kitten quite well, but is still probably stressed by the changes going on. It's kind of like people who easily get stressed out by changes they have to face even if they may be looking forward to the change. Based on what you have described, I think his over-grooming and the new kitten are not coincidental.

If he has done well on Xanax before, perhaps try it again, and once you stop it, see if he has adjusted to the changes brought on by this new addition to his household.

If you truly believe it is something else, then he probably should have a vet check up just to see if there might be a health issue brewing that is contributing to his current anxiety.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently bottle raised 3 kittens and oh my goodness do they take a lot of attention!!! My bud who was super attached to me wound up becoming their uncle; however I could tell he missed his 1 on 1 time with me. If you can I would try giving him 30-60 minutes a day, every day where you are just cuddling him and ignoring the baby in the other room. If you could I would give him morning and evening cuddles. (Wait until the kitten figures out how to get out of soft crates or get into the sofa :lol: ) Not to mention when the kittens hit around 2 months old they become little terrors who always want to play and have a hard time accepting that an adult cat doesn’t want to play at the moment. When your bottle baby reaches that age; I bet your older cat would appreciate a couple hours a day with the kitten locked in a kitten proof room.

I hope everything works out! Take lots of pictures; they grow up so fast!!! There is a kitten / pregnancy forum if you need help/advice for your wee baby kitten.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Happy stress is still stress. It sounds like he is being a wonderful Papa cat and that take a lot vigilance.

Have you tried anything gentler recently like Bachs rescue remedy or Chamomile tea? You always have the prozac and xanax to fall back on if needed.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
10 years ago I got my rescue (and grotesquely abused) cat. He is vet presumed 15, currently. When I got my cat he had self inflicted and human inflicted wounds. He was put on Xanax as needed and Prozac daily. We weaned him of both as he turned into a wonderfully trusting and well adjusted member of our family.

He occasionally will get stressed out and over groom, causing little bald spots and light bleeding. It’s always in the same spots and I of course extensively had him tested to be certain it was not other overlooked issues.

Well my question is, we got a new kitten for him (he loves kittens and lost his kitty companion recently). I’m very big on having pets in twos.. there’s just so much I can’t do for him since I’m not a cat. I need human interaction so I feel he needs cat interaction.

Although he behaves very happy around kitten, the overgrooming is a red flag, and the fact that he’s doing a new spot is alarming.

If he causes harm we use an e-collar for healing (he doesn’t seem to mind it) and Xanax as needed once the e-collar is removed (though it’s been over a year since that was needed).

What do you think? What would you do? I’ve been through so much with this guy, am I just emotional and over thinking it?
My cat is a rescue, from a kitten mill. She is best with another cat. I got a kitten. She was over grooming before the kitten. The kitten is growing up. She is still over grooming the same spots. If I have the cone on her, she scratches the spot on her neck. I don't know why. I tell her to stop licking herself raw. She moves to the next room, so she can hurt herself in peace. The vet told me to switch food, she likes the food she has, she went on strike. He said go to a dermatologist. I don't have the money.. I don't want medication. After reading this, it maybe the only option.
I've always been away for long periods of time. She seems happy when she plays with the kitten, and we three play together with interactive toys. I bought her a soft collar. Ive taken her to an University vet area, and they don't know what is wrong either.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is a rescue, from a kitten mill. She is best with another cat. I got a kitten. She was over grooming before the kitten. The kitten is growing up. She is still over grooming the same spots. If I have the cone on her, she scratches the spot on her neck. I don't know why. I tell her to stop licking herself raw. She moves to the next room, so she can hurt herself in peace. The vet told me to switch food, she likes the food she has, she went on strike. He said go to a dermatologist. I don't have the money.. I don't want medication. After reading this, it maybe the only option.
I've always been away for long periods of time. She seems happy when she plays with the kitten, and we three play together with interactive toys. I bought her a soft collar. Ive taken her to an University vet area, and they don't know what is wrong either.
You can try a calming spray like Feliway which may help if she is scratching from the anxiety. But she could have food allergies to grain, poultry or other things. So I would also take a second try at changing her food but introduce it gradually by mixing it in with her favorite.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can try a calming spray like Feliway which may help if she is scratching from the anxiety. But she could have food allergies to grain, poultry or other things. So I would also take a second try at changing her food but introduce it gradually by mixing it in with her favorite.
I use hills science diet. Salmon skin and stomach grain free
She doesn’t like Core
Before that it was instinct the dog food had lead in it. So I switched. Idk 😐 what to try

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet. That said over grooming is a reaction to stress. I know it sounds weird but prozac may help. (They make it in a cream.) it takes weeks to get the right dose & a bit of trial & error. Since she is a kitten mill rescue I’m assuming it is stress & may require a more serious solution, medication. Instead of all the other behavior solutions. Your vet will know best.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im trying a limited ingredient diet, its EXPENSIVE. I hate to medicate her for her environment

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm the most common allergies are fleas, corn, wheat & poultry. So if you think it is allergies Treat your yard, house & cats/dogs for fleas along with reading the label to everything you feed your cat.

⭐you can give your cat an oral medication to help with the allergies. There are a few, ask your vet. Also ask if an allergy test is possible.

taste of the Wild makes a trout & salmon dry food my boys liked (& was safe for Dante’s allergies.)They were so so about the venison dry food. I found this site because my cat had food allergies. They also sell wetfood made of novel proteins, including rabbit. Though pricey, the cats like it. Just be sure to read the labels to everything and only test 1 new food each month or two.

Treating allergies is a PITA because first you have to eliminate every possible allergen and get your cat balanced out. Then you have to introduce a teeny tiny amount and look for a reaction.

Here is Dante’s belly which was missing fur (I thought he was getting fatter.) Sadly Dante passed.

I wish you the best of luck & hope your baby has a long happy life!

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked in chewy and taste of the wild (? River canyon?) salmon & trout is chicken free but the venison has chicken in it 😕

they also had quite a few LID dry foods on chewy. My current cat is fed mostly wet. Fancyfeast puts chicken in everything! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m sure if you go to the forum about food, they can help you find what you are looking for.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked in chewy and taste of the wild (? River canyon?) salmon & trout is chicken free but the venison has chicken in it 😕

they also had quite a few LID dry foods on chewy. My current cat is fed mostly wet. Fancyfeast puts chicken in everything! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m sure if you go to the forum about food, they can help you find what you are looking for.
thanks.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I belong to a fb group. for persians. they have similar experiences. im trying origen six fish. no chicken. thanks to danteshuman i realize i cannot give the treats i bought.
i'm trying to get her a dental, maybe that's it. i have to separate the cats because the other cat is grooming her causing more damage. i found a surgery suit that fits her. ill take her in the vet tuesday, and i have a second opinion scheduled next week.