Over 30 cats found- what to do!!!?

5kittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have people I know who I recently found out to own over 30 cats (unspayed and unneutered!!) I am so upset as anyone would be. But I cannot get them into trouble in any way. It would be like telling on them and the friendship we have with this family is very special to us, it would be devastating to lose them as friends. But this is an emergency! I have never dealt with this. I am asking what do I do!! I want to help these kittens. They will just keep multiplying. The winter is coming and even though there is a place that should stay warm enough- they could die because some are very small (most are kittens). Does any shelter take poor things like these in? The people are helping them out but the situation is out of control in my opinion. And if animal control gets to them, will all of them be put to sleep? Also there's a possibility our local city might open a huge cat sanctuary but I am not waiting that long. It would just be a good place for them here. But I am terrified for these poor things. I know these people wouldn't mind keeping some cats but most they will be willing to give away. Helpp!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @5kittymama  Welcome to The Cat Site.

Are these cats being kept indoors or are they an outdoor feral colony? How used to people are they? Can they be handled or are they very wild? What do you friends want to do? Would they be happy to have some of the kittens re-homed and keep feeding the rest once they're spayed and neutered?

The first thing you need to do is start getting them fixed. I suggest getting in contact with the ASPCA or Alley Cat Allies and asking for their help. Shelters will take in and re-home young kittens but you need to call around and make sure they're going to a no-kill shelter. As far as I know Animal Control will PTS the cats if they are feral or semi-feral, but there are other options.

I've heard that ASPCA won't prosecute if a person volunteers to turn their animals over to them, so your friends won't get into trouble. That might be the best place to start. Call your local ASPCA and ask what your options are. 

Thank you for trying to help. Please keep us posted on how everything goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5kittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are used to people. Very sweet cats. I think they might be starving though, last time I saw them, one of them was wondering around looking very down. He came up to people and was mewing. I don't think they feed them for days. I had no idea this was happening and I visit their house often so. This is also an hour away from my home at the farm but I'd be willing to drive an hour to have some care do them. The people they are staying over own other animals and these animals are crucial to their survival. They are poor themselves so they cannot get into trouble over animals. Yes they will be willing to keep some. They need to have some around for them to keep mice away. I haven't asked how much they'd like yet but I am sure it's nowhere near as much as what they have now. I am also not sure if they'll allow the cats toxget spayed and neutered because I don't know if it's against their religion. They are Amish.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I am also not sure if they'll allow the cats toxget spayed and neutered because I don't know if it's against their religion. They are Amish.
This makes it sound like they do allow it: Fix It in the Farmland

While most Amish have no objection to altering their animals, they generally don't do it because of the cost and the difficulty of transporting dogs and cats to and from veterinary clinics located in more heavily populated areas. As a result, the Amish contribute disproportionately to the county's pet overpopulation problem.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the meantime, can you take some bags of dry food to them so these cats can eat? Nursing moms especially need extra nutrition to provide for the babies. It sounds like the cats are starving.

I suggest that you begin asking them if they are okay with you working to re-home some of the moms and babies, and if trapping and spaying/neutering others is okay. Surely they realize that doing nothing will cause the colony to grow, and since they are unable to afford to feed them there is the potential for charges of neglect should it come to that.

Then you need to begin making calls to the various organizations mentioned by Norachan. Some of the shelters will likely give the moms and babies to foster families to care for, with the ultimate goal of re-homing them.

You are very kind to be concerned for both the cats and the family.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've received great advice!

Your friends may be very grateful for your help too, think of it that way, as well as how many cats you will be helping first hand to live many years of a better life!

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have over 30 cats myself, so the number alone wouldn't concern me. Their condition, however, is cause for concern.

Have you tried talking to them about the health of their cats? Are they approachable on the topic? If you can link up with a rescue in your area they can probably hook them up with a low-cost spay and neuter for the lot of them, then you could offer to help with a crowdfunding campaign. If you can discuss this with them, approach it from the angle of being concerned for the animals' wellbeing and wanting to help. Ask them if they would consider surrendering some to a rescue as well.

cliftonv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do not call animal control they will kill the lot that many cats you need to get the females spayed , there were 30 strays where i live and i took when i could 1 or 2 and got spayed , i stopped at ten females , got laid off and cant afford it now but it has made a huge difference 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

you need to get the females spayed , there were 30 strays where i live and i took when i could 1 or 2 and got spayed , i stopped at ten females , got laid off and cant afford it now but it has made a huge difference 
Do you have any possibility to get help from some rescue group or a shelter nearby, to cover the self costs?   And your part will be that which you do:  do the self work of trapping and returning, or help these rescuers do it....

Tx for your helping these  our little sisters!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you been able to bring food to these cats?

Have you been able to rally help yet from any organizations?

I know how concerned you are, and how difficult it is to do this on your own, so hoping you have support. We are here to support you in any way.

Please give us an update when you can.