Oven-Dried Tomatoes

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I keep waiting for you to post your address with an invitation for dinner.
Me too!!

Thanks for the step by step on the tomatoes! We have 12 tomato plants that are loaded and still green right now. We had one decent size harvest a few weeks ago then everything just halted. So, I'm going to have to try this when all these ripen.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Me too!!

Thanks for the step by step on the tomatoes! We have 12 tomato plants that are loaded and still green right now. We had one decent size harvest a few weeks ago then everything just halted. So, I'm going to have to try this when all these ripen.
You know what you can do with those green tomatoes, don't you?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked about a quart of cherry tomatoes this morning... but it's hot and humid today, so no oven. Maybe I'll try next week when it's supposed to be cooler.

Mike- are you talking about fried green tomatoes? That's just about all I can eat at this one BBQ place we go to since I don't do the meat thing (we mostly go for the beer). FGT salad, and FGT sandwich (which they put on the menu after making it custom for me a few times a few years ago- I still think they should've named it after me!) Pretty much like a caprese salad/sandwich with a spin. Yum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You know what you can do with those green tomatoes, don't you?
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Mike- are you talking about fried green tomatoes? That's just about all I can eat at this one BBQ place we go to since I don't do the meat thing (we mostly go for the beer). FGT salad, and FGT sandwich (which they put on the menu after making it custom for me a few times a few years ago- I still think they should've named it after me!) Pretty much like a caprese salad/sandwich with a spin. Yum.
Do you know I have never had a fried green tomato? Ever? Are they good?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I keep waiting for you to post your address with an invitation for dinner.
Originally Posted by calico2222

Me too!!

I pm'ed you both.....come for dinner anytime!

Our tomato plants are so heavy with tomatoes, but they weren't ripening. They were just hanging there. They've finally started to ripen now, but we're not getting a lot of tomatoes at one time...maybe like 40 or so? Which is barely enough for one quart of sauce for the freezer, once it's cooked down a bit. It's frustrating. I think we planted 12 or 14 plants: one Lemon Boy, a couple Century II plants, and the rest are Romas. The Lemon Boys are beautiful now, a bright lemon yellow and very sweet.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I pm'ed you both.....come for dinner anytime!

Our tomato plants are so heavy with tomatoes, but they weren't ripening. They were just hanging there. They've finally started to ripen now, but we're not getting a lot of tomatoes at one time...maybe like 40 or so? Which is barely enough for one quart of sauce for the freezer, once it's cooked down a bit. It's frustrating. I think we planted 12 or 14 plants: one Lemon Boy, a couple Century II plants, and the rest are Romas. The Lemon Boys are beautiful now, a bright lemon yellow and very sweet.
I love yellow tomatoes! I never had one until last summer and they are SO good! I'm going to have to get one for the garden next year, we couldn't find any plants this past spring.

I actually just had my first fried green tomato this week. It was...different. Very tangy. I think I would have liked it better with some seasoning, these were just floured and fried. I'm going to have to give them a second chance...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

I just picked about a quart of cherry tomatoes this morning... but it's hot and humid today, so no oven. Maybe I'll try next week when it's supposed to be cooler.

No...

I was talking about my mother's "Green Tomato Mincemeat" recipe.

Mom Widmayer's Green Tomato Mincemeat

Don't let the name put you off; this is a vegetarian recipe, no meat in it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

No...

I was talking about my mother's "Green Tomato Mincemeat" recipe.

Mom Widmayer's Green Tomato Mincemeat

Don't let the name put you off; this is a vegetarian recipe, no meat in it.
My father would have dearly loved that recipe in a nice pie. He was always a mincemeat fan, made from meat or from green tomatoes. Mom used to make green tomato mincemeat, just for Dad. She also made mincemeat from venison, I think.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandfather was an avid deer hunter and we always had venison.She always made mincemeat with venison.I never really knew that there was any other kind til after she passed away.It was quite rich and yummy as I recall.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby got us a dehydrator (one of the ones with a fan in it so they work faster) and we did tomatoes from the garden as well. Yum!!! We also did our own basil and strawberries. I have not done the beans from the garden, i've been blanching those and freezing them instead. I did try though bananas from the store in them, but they did not turn out good. I think they were too thick from the directions on the machine and they browned up bad and had a funny taste. I am going to try another batch this week. I am also going to do apples, grapes and maybe pears from the backyard. (Just realised we have a pear teee back there that is producing tons of pears!) funny, since we've been here two years now!
i loved reading this thread and hearing of some of the other uses for the garden veggies and I will continue to check back for more tips. Oh, and Kitters will have her own dried catnip too!