Outside watering in Winter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a question about using rubber feed tubs to keep water out for a couple of strays/feral cats, raccoons birds and any other critters out there. I'd like to use the rubber tubs since they won't break, hard to dump, birds can perch on the rim and it would be easy to get the ice out but don't know if they would be safe. Has anyone ever used them for watering.
I don't have an outside electrical outlet. Thanks

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have used Fortex brand rubber buckets for years as an outside water source for my dogs. The dogs will ask to go out just to get a drink from the bucket rather than use their crock bowl in the house. 🙄 We also have one of the Fortex rubber bowls (like the one in the photo) that we used on the farm for various horse or chicken purposes. I think we even used it at one time as a pool for my tiny call ducks. Currently it's in use in the backyard as a source of water for the wild birds while the fountain and birdbath are both empty for the winter. The sparrows love it and the doves bath in it.
The black rubber stinks to high heaven at first. You can either leave it outside somewhere for a few days to air out or soak it in vinger and water for a few hours. I do keep mine in a shady spot, both to keep the water cool and because it is made of rubber.
Screenshot_20230113-124206_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We have used Fortex brand rubber buckets for years as an outside water source for my dogs. The dogs will ask to go out just to get a drink from the bucket rather than use their crock bowl in the house. 🙄 We also have one of the Fortex rubber bowls (like the one in the photo) that we used on the farm for various horse or chicken purposes. I think we even used it at one time as a pool for my tiny call ducks. Currently it's in use in the backyard as a source of water for the wild birds while the fountain and birdbath are both empty for the winter. The sparrows love it and the doves bath in it.
The black rubber stinks to high heaven at first. You can either leave it outside somewhere for a few days to air out or soak it in vinger and water for a few hours. I do keep mine in a shady spot, both to keep the water cool and because it is made of rubber.
View attachment 441026
Thanks, sounds like exactly what I need. Gonna triple check they are pure rubber before I use them, can return if I need to. They are a different brand. We do have a T/S store. They didn't have any smaller rubber tubs in stock, I got the tubs at Farm and Home. They are outside airing out, not much sun lately. Sure takes a long time for the rubber stink to go away.
20230113_132619.jpg