Outside Teddy

teddybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Does anyone know how i should train my 3 m/o Teddy to start going outside by himself. We are on a corner block so we have no front fences and just some small fences around the back and side. How can I train him so he is used to being outside without running away? And at what age should I start?

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can't teach him not leave your yard. I wouldn't let him out by himself at all, it's very dangerous (plus in Australia cats are really bad for the environment). If you want Teddy to be able to enjoy the great outdoors, get him a harness and a leash.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way at all to train a cat to be outdoors and not run off, whether in response to an unexpected threat from neighbouring dogs, other cats, people, or just his own curiosity. Commit to keeping him indoors, or train him on a leash and harness (one that goes around behind his front legs as well as his neck). You also haven't said when you plan to have him neutered, and that's going to make a big difference in his being indoors (without spraying).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teddybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H will be neutered at 5mths. So in 2 mths time. He is mainly an indoor kitty atm, but he does go outside if we are out there. Any ideas for neutralising his smell inside then? I bought a carpet foam but our place isnt entirely carpet. My sister has 2 older male cats and they are always outside on their own. They come back every morning and every night without fail!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet and/or wherever cleaning products are sold about new enzyme cleaners. There are very good ones over here now, but I have no idea what's sold down under.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not just turn him loose without supervision. I'd build/buy a nice size cat enclosure that is protected from other animals or train your kitten for a harness/leash and stay out there with them for awhile.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Ask your vet and/or wherever cleaning products are sold about new enzyme cleaners
Get some BioZet washing powder or liquid, shake with water in a spray bottle and use to clean up urine smells.

Or there's a product available at most pet shops and online called P*ss Off, don't know if I'm allowed to write what it's actually called