outside or inside?

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started a spay/neuter campaign in my neighborhood, which was overrun by stray and feral cats, about 5 years ago and we now have a very stable community of 25 outside cats being cared for by about 6 neighbors. Eight of the cats live at my house. One of the friendlier cats, Sammy, left my yard and was attacked by a dog. The cat survived but spent weeks at the vet and is now living in my den. He is 4 years old, has only one eye due to an infection when he was very young and still quite feral. He also has an extremely long body that never seemed totally stable to me. Now, my husband thinks Sammy is too vulnerable to put back outside. He thinks Sammy is slower, doesn't see well, and is much more likely to get caught by a dog or hurt in some way. I agree, mostly, but Sammy is miserable inside. He paces and looks under the door, and then goes underneath furniture to hide and sleep. I know eventually he will adjust to a life of lying in front of the window getting fat, but is that the best choice? He has no interest in any of the many toys I have bought for him. When he was outside he was so active and playful. Also we are gone for weeks at a time, and he would be looked after by a neighbor who would feed him, but he would have minimal human interaction during those times. I want to do what is best for him. It is so obvious he would be happier outside with his friends, but is it worth the risk? Can he be happy inside after 4 years outside?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Given all that you have said, it does seem like Sammy would be better off indoors, even if he doesn't yet appreciate it. I think a lot of outdoor cats aren't inclined to play with toys, but I am sure they would love cat trees/perches and use them as their form of 'entertainment'. I've included some links to TCS articles that you may find helpful (see below).

Do you have other cats? If yes, then eventually, when it is time for introductions, Sammy may enjoy their company. If not, could you handle bringing in another cat from outside, so Sammy would have a companion? This would be especially helpful if there is one of them that seems to get along best with Sammy.
The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (Including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

A very feral cat will literally climb walls and curtains, so Sammy is doing well 👍😃. His happiness isn't based on being outside with other cats. He needs more time to adjust to his new life, the smells, routines, sounds etc.

When you're away, be absolutely sure the neighbor truly understands not to open any doors without knowing exactly where Sammy is.

getting fat, but is that the best choice?
To bring him in, 100% yes.

In order to help avoid weight gain, look into feeding just wet food. There are a couple lower calorie kibble brands available, but they're few and far between, --no matter what the package says in the brand name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am overwhelmed by the responses from all of you, and I feel much more confident now that we're doing the right thing by making Sammy an inside cat. I am ordering him a cat tree right now. Your responses are full of good suggestions.

It's funny. What I do have inside is a dog! He is a sweetie and is terrified of all cats. He walks through my 8 cats on his way to the car as if he's walking the gauntlet. He pretends he doesn't see them. I'll keep my dog and Sammy apart for however long it takes for both to adjust. Sammy was very very close to another outside cat, but she would be one who would climb the walls if brought inside, so I don't think that will work.

I am going to check out some of the links everyone sent and will follow your advice. I love it that I'm not alone in this challenge, now that I've found this site!

Thank you so so much!!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS B bfmay !

Kudos to you and your neighbors for your TNR efforts and sharing the 'burden' of feeding and caring for these ferals.

I'm tagging Kwik Kwik as she can also offer personal experience on taming and getting a feral comfortable in your home though I know there are other members who have done the same.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, I brought an old, profoundly deaf, very feral cat inside last spring. (I think he may also be lacking peripheral vision.) After a few days of being terrified, and then several months of hiding from me, he is doing quite well. I'm still not allowed to touch him, but he slow blinks at me all the time and doesn't seem bothered when I walk past him. He has a cat friend that he knew outside and was also brought in... which makes me and the two of them very happy. They nap together and there's lots of mutual licking.

Keep in mind, though, that individual cats are unique and you may have a completely different experience with Sammy. But I think you're doing the right thing by bringing him inside. Regarding his friend: cats don't climb the walls forever. As long as they're being fed and treated well, they usually adjust. But if Sammy becomes friends with your dog, he won't be lonesome.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: :welcomesign:to TCS!!!!
It's a pleasure to meet you and you are definitely in the right place- EVERY cat deserves a home of their own and ANY cat can be a wonderful housecat - the formula is simple LOVE & PATIENCE.... The task however,might be challenging at times but just hold fast- Sammy will prove he was worth the challenges!

I tell you this with complete confidence- been socializing ferals for decades and not a one has been an unsuccessful transition - So,did you do the right thing?Absolutely!

Sammy has no idea what " happy' is - happy sure ain't rain,snow or sleet,dodging cars,predators to make a few and there's a huge difference in a life of leisure- compared to survival of the fittest.What makes a kitty appear to be ' happy" is seeing them confident and comfortable in their familiar territory- it's what cats thrive on, familiarity

Is Sammy feral,was he born outside and cared for by the humans - then he's probably semi feral if he's not bouncing off your walls

There's lots you need to have for him,he has no clue what a litter box is & cats don't magically know- not outdoor kitty's that had a gazillion options - so your going to want to start out with a litter box with dirt from outside in it pick up some litter attractant & sprinkle on top.... Dr Elsys Outdoor Life litter to mix in gradually later on to get him using litter

You say he's in the den,under a couch? Great! Does it have doors?Secure windows & escape proof the room,the house..... Keep litter box at one end of couch and food at the other and water away from both.... How's that for starters? A small closed room is best to start

We are here for you ! Congratulations ( you might want to consider bringing in his gal pal?)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree, mostly, but Sammy is miserable inside. He paces and looks under the door, and then goes underneath furniture to hide and sleep. I know eventually he will adjust to a life of lying in front of the window getting fat, but is that the best choice? He has no interest in any of the many toys I have bought for him. When he was outside he was so active and playful. Also we are gone for weeks at a time, and he would be looked after by a neighbor who would feed him, but he would have minimal human interaction during those times. I want to do what is best for him. It is so obvious he would be happier outside with his friends, but is it worth the risk? Can he be happy inside after 4 years outside?
I agree with the above posters and good articles linked for you to read by FeebysOwner FeebysOwner

He looks miserable now as this is his first time indoors after 4 years. He'll get use to it day by day if you guide him well. Spend more time with him and give him much love and assurance.

It is definite;y better for him to be indoors than outdoors due to his condition. At least, he knows you and that plays a big part in for him and yes, he can be happy as an inside cat.

Sammy was very very close to another outside cat, but she would be one who would climb the walls if brought inside, so I don't think that will work.
Is it possible to bring this cast in as well?

Sammy is beautiful! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're interested to know if an adult feral can be " happy " ( I use the term loosely)indoors then you might like to meet Timmy- Timmy the Happy Housecat,lol

It's a long read but you can see the transitioning process ( if you want to know the answer to your question just read my last update post on page 28)

Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Sammy's progress! He previously lived outside for his entire 4 1/2 year life and was friendly to me occasionally, on his terms. Now he is living inside and has been staying under the sofa in the den, a room which is a dedicated Sammy room. The update is that he is now coming out into the room immediately when I enter. He talks to me and purrs and cuddles. I visit in his room 4 or 5 times a day. He has also started sitting next to me on the sofa, sometimes even falling asleep. When I leave the room he goes immediately back under the sofa. But when nobody is in the room he eats all his food, drinks plenty of water, and uses the 2 litter boxes. Hope springs eternal, so in his room I have set up a tall cat tree/condo by a big window, 2 large scratching posts and several interactive toys. Maybe one day he'll feel confident enough to try some of these things and not spend his life under the sofa? Dare I hope that he will ever feel comfortable in the whole house? But I love knowing that he is safe! Never again will he know the terror of being almost killed by a dog.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Sammy's progress! He previously lived outside for his entire 4 1/2 year life and was friendly to me occasionally, on his terms. Now he is living inside and has been staying under the sofa in the den, a room which is a dedicated Sammy room. The update is that he is now coming out into the room immediately when I enter. He talks to me and purrs and cuddles. I visit in his room 4 or 5 times a day. He has also started sitting next to me on the sofa, sometimes even falling asleep. When I leave the room he goes immediately back under the sofa. But when nobody is in the room he eats all his food, drinks plenty of water, and uses the 2 litter boxes. Hope springs eternal, so in his room I have set up a tall cat tree/condo by a big window, 2 large scratching posts and several interactive toys. Maybe one day he'll feel confident enough to try some of these things and not spend his life under the sofa? Dare I hope that he will ever feel comfortable in the whole house? But I love knowing that he is safe! Never again will he know the terror of being almost killed by a dog.
He will,eventually he will come out and enjoy the entire house.

It's been almost 7 months now that Timmy's inside,he still stays mostly in the living room but he has at least visited every single room,even follows me into the walk in closet in my bedroom

Just takes time and doing exactly what you've been doing👍

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! He is beautiful! Welcome aboard. He is adjusting fast
My cat Coco was outside for 2 years,I took her in. Lived under couch 3 montha,bedroom a yr then came out on her own. At 4 yrs old your cat likes to hunt and hide so wand toys with attachments like a mouse,lots of chew toys,long or square scratch posts,cubes,cat tower, and cubes. My cats like weruva,nulo,and fancy feast classics
20230913_105617.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! He is beautiful! Welcome aboard. He is adjusting fast
My cat Coco was outside for 2 years,I took her in. Lived under couch 3 montha,bedroom a yr then came out on her own. At 4 yrs old your cat likes to hunt and hide so wand toys with attachments like a mouse,lots of chew toys,long or square scratch posts,cubes,cat tower, and cubes. My cats like weruva,nulo,and fancy feast classicsView attachment 467239
Thank you so much! I just ordered some of the things you mentioned. I really appreciate the encouragement and great ideas.