Outside dog?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand your frustrations. I would certainly take the time to look into a walker or pet sitter, as pricey as that can be. Leaving her outside, as we've all mentioned, is really not a good option, for several reasons which others have stated. On the other hand, keeping her crated for any more than 4 hours a day indoors is really not a great idea either...she needs to have stimulation, human interaction, and exercise.

I know you love Lola, and have followed your threads about her closely...

You mentioned that your hubby can probably come home 4 out of 5 days to give her some attention. So perhaps, the type of schedule you're looking for will look something like this:

8-noon : Crated with a Kong toy, and other things to do.
12-1 p.m. : Hubby comes home, and plays with Lola, potty break, mid-day meal.
1-2: Lola spends time in the safe room.
2-4 : Dog walker/sitter comes over for playtime, walk, and stimulation, potty break.
4-5 p.m. : Lola in safe room.
5 p.m. - you come home...potty break, Lola's dinner, etc.

Does this sound feasible, or at least something similiar? 10 hours is a lot of time to be spending alone for a dog, and at least this way, she'll have a bit of variety, and human interaction while you're both working.

Good luck, and let us know if you need further help working it out...there are probably a lot of options out there if we put our heads together.

barryz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with above - not outside (I have 3 GSD and they are indoor dogs, and very lucky as we both work from home so with our dogs 24/7), especially at that young age - she is a baby and as a baby needs feel safe and secure.

Potty pads are not the best thing but if there is no other solution, better potty pads than leaving outside.

When I was a teenager I was walking neighbour dogs and even took them to training so maybe there is a teenager who wants to earn some pocket money after the school? Or a retired lady in your area? With a small dog like your Lola both ways could be used.

I would put an add at local shop or buss station or even church, leave the phone number and I'm sure somebody bearable will respond.

Believe me, people who pointed that it is not good for a puppy to be left for so long alone, are right. Puppy neds a human contact especially at this age. If they are left alone it could create beheivior and mental problems.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone pretty much gave you some great advice about not leaving her outside. With all the crazy people out there and the designer dogs breeds, someone might want to steal her if she really looks like a Chi mix. Plus what if another animal jumped the fence, what if you don't happen to spay her in time and you let her out one day (of course I would hope that wouldn't happen) and a big old male jumps the fence, she could get heartworm, fleas, worms, etc.... Just some other things to think about.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I also agree, its not a good idea to leave her outside for long periods...I learned that the hard way with my Collie.

At 14 weeks shes still a baby and I think shed feel very overwhelmed in such a huge place alone. I dont think you are being cruel at all, as long as she has a proper place to relieve herself, a place to sleep and lots of toys!

Invest in Kongs, doggie Puzzles, squeekies, ropes etc. Leaving a dog outside alone for a prolonged period of time can cause fence guarding which is truly annoying to you and neighbors.

I think a puppy shouldnt be left alone all day, outside..just my opnion of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let you all know that, because of some other reasons, we decided to take the dog to a friend's house where she can get more attention. This might be permanent or until we find a more permanent home.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Just wanted to let you all know that, because of some other reasons, we decided to take the dog to a friend's house where she can get more attention. This might be permanent or until we find a more permanent home.
Well you did what was best for her then.
Thats alright..