Outside Christmas decorations....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear I think my DH is 8 years old. He started decorating outside weds and still has more to do. I don't know what he's going to decorate now...I can't see one thing that isn't covered! We made a deal when we moved in that he would decorate the outside for Christmas, and I would take care of the inside...biggest mistake of my life!

We have all the windows outlined in colored lights (I like that), Icicle lights around the roof...double, colored and white (ok, like that too). A herd of lighted deer (as in 5, including a little fawn) in the yard...like that too. Now, we get into the blow up things..we have a 9ft snow man, a 5 ft penquin..ok, I can deal with that (but he wants to get more). You have to understand, all this is in a very small space because most of our front yard is fenced in because of the dogs. So, the fence has to be decorated. So, we have red and green light ropes wrapped around the fence (but don't reach far enough to actually FINISH the fence), Oh, and we have santa sticks sticking out of our porch rail that light up along with candy canes along our walkway.

Now, I could deal with it...if that was it. BUT (always a but) DH has another little wonderful item that he can hook things up to that plays to music! So he turns this on, and things start flashing on and off...it's a nightmare!

Oh, and remember the plastic santas from the 60's/70's? He has one and he tied it to the telephone pole outside. Looked like someone was going to burn Santa as a witch or something (lots of dead weeds around the pole). Well the wind blew him over and now it looks like Santa got hit by a drive by.

I just let him go...he enjoys it so that's what matters. I'm just glad we live at the END of a dirt road so not many people will see this!

Sorry, I just had to vent. MIL thinks it's cool. I think they're ganging up on me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love outdoor xmas lights, we go all out at mums place. Roof, windows, garden, trees - everything
We can't have the blow up stuff cos it melts and sags in the heat.

Then around xmas time we go for a long drive checking out everyone elses houses, especially the street that wins best decorated.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For us less is better. We have a neighbour down the street who decorates for every event, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. They have a small place and so many decorations that it looks like a dog's breakfast!

They must think it looks great because they seem to add to it every year and I suppose as long as it makes them happy, why not!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I swear I think my DH is 8 years old. He started decorating outside weds and still has more to do. I don't know what he's going to decorate now...I can't see one thing that isn't covered! We made a deal when we moved in that he would decorate the outside for Christmas, and I would take care of the inside...biggest mistake of my life!

We have all the windows outlined in colored lights (I like that), Icicle lights around the roof...double, colored and white (ok, like that too). A herd of lighted deer (as in 5, including a little fawn) in the yard...like that too. Now, we get into the blow up things..we have a 9ft snow man, a 5 ft penquin..ok, I can deal with that (but he wants to get more). You have to understand, all this is in a very small space because most of our front yard is fenced in because of the dogs. So, the fence has to be decorated. So, we have red and green light ropes wrapped around the fence (but don't reach far enough to actually FINISH the fence), Oh, and we have santa sticks sticking out of our porch rail that light up along with candy canes along our walkway.

Now, I could deal with it...if that was it. BUT (always a but) DH has another little wonderful item that he can hook things up to that plays to music! So he turns this on, and things start flashing on and off...it's a nightmare!

Oh, and remember the plastic santas from the 60's/70's? He has one and he tied it to the telephone pole outside. Looked like someone was going to burn Santa as a witch or something (lots of dead weeds around the pole). Well the wind blew him over and now it looks like Santa got hit by a drive by.

I just let him go...he enjoys it so that's what matters. I'm just glad we live at the END of a dirt road so not many people will see this!

Sorry, I just had to vent. MIL thinks it's cool. I think they're ganging up on me.
Wow, your house sounds like it looks awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our yard IS a dogs breakfast! I have no problem with lights or the decorations...but in moderation. I'm more of a garland with lights in it kind of girl. I guess I'm more traditional or old fashioned. I have the same beef every year, but as I said it make him happy so that's good for me.

This is what he "wants" our house to look like...but we don't have the money to get everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXgA...eature=related

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well don't show him this then!
(Already posted in another thread, but I am evil, lol)

EDIT: LOL!!!!!. We must have posted at the same time!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Well don't show him this then!
(Already posted in another thread, but I am evil, lol)
LOL...that's what made him get the stupid music thing last year! I do have to say that is cool. But didn't he spend over $10,000 to get everything and get it programed? We don't have that kind of money and everything is a hodge podge.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him have fun - you agree the outside was his. Just remind him that he needs to put in a little overtime to pay the electric bill after Christmas.

Personally I think its cool to see the houses all decorated with lights, etc.

Just do NOT show him the light shows with the TSO music on utube - don't want him to really get ideas!

Woops - too late@!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Let him have fun - you agree the outside was his. Just remind him that he needs to put in a little overtime to pay the electric bill after Christmas.

Personally I think its cool to see the houses all decorated with lights, etc.

I like simplicity too, but your DH sounds so passionate about Christmas decorations!! It's cute, because really I haven't been excited about Christmas lights since I was 8 too
I am always just too lazy, I consider decorating too much work and not worth it in the end...

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds cool. No lights this year for me other than a little 3' tree with 100 lights on it and some mini ornaments. This was my house last year though.

It's a bad photo. There is somewhere in the area of 60,000 lights up in that photo. Maybe more, I don't remember. I don't have Light-O-Rama or Animated Lighting equipment though so no flashing to TSO music for me. The year before this photo, the weather person at the local NBC affiliate joked on the news that the house was visible to weather satellites. At least I think it was a joke.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are all nuts!

I love christmas too but i think down under if i were to put anything in my front yard someone will steal it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Sounds cool. No lights this year for me other than a little 3' tree with 100 lights on it and some mini ornaments. This was my house last year though.

It's a bad photo. There is somewhere in the area of 60,000 lights up in that photo. Maybe more, I don't remember. I don't have Light-O-Rama or Animated Lighting equipment though so no flashing to TSO music for me. The year before this photo, the weather person at the local NBC affiliate joked on the news that the house was visible to weather satellites. At least I think it was a joke.
Holy Crap!!! Yeah, I don't think I'm going to show DH that pic...he doesn't need anymore ideas! I can hear him now (hmmmm...honey, you know, I do have some extra 4X4s I can put together and get some extra lights....).

The music thing he got actually was from Lowe's or Sears (can't remember which) and it really didn't cost that much. Only about $60 I think, but you can't really program the lights to the music, it's already programed in for you so it's pretty much random. I think it's from Mr. Christmas.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

You are all nuts!

I love christmas too but i think down under if i were to put anything in my front yard someone will steal it!
You know, I never really thought about that. But maybe that's the beauty of having Christmas when it's cold....it's TOO flipping cold for someone to be out stealing in the middle of the night. Plus, the ice holds everything in place.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Our yard IS a dogs breakfast! I have no problem with lights or the decorations...but in moderation. I'm more of a garland with lights in it kind of girl. I guess I'm more traditional or old fashioned. I have the same beef every year, but as I said it make him happy so that's good for me.

This is what he "wants" our house to look like...but we don't have the money to get everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXgA...eature=related
I liked this one better. The other one was too "busy" I don't do the light thingie either. Too much trouble.. lol

You need to take pics when he is done!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Holy Crap!!! Yeah, I don't think I'm going to show DH that pic...he doesn't need anymore ideas! I can hear him now (hmmmm...honey, you know, I do have some extra 4X4s I can put together and get some extra lights....).

The music thing he got actually was from Lowe's or Sears (can't remember which) and it really didn't cost that much. Only about $60 I think, but you can't really program the lights to the music, it's already programed in for you so it's pretty much random. I think it's from Mr. Christmas.
You can show your DH the pic.
Here's a video from the same year.
There are plenty of reasons not to put up a large display. For example, when you have over 600 strands of lights, that means that there is at least 1,200 little tiny fuses. When one fuse blows out, the whole chain (usually 400 lights or so) blows out. When there are so many lights, you first have to figure out where that chain starts, which is always a journey. Then you have to figure out which tiny fuse blew of that chain. It also can be the case that a local dog just loosened the power plug to the chain... which of course - you only figure out after you've gone through all the little fuses and you have no idea why the chain is still out.

Then there is the fun of when it rains. Lots of little fuses blow if it rains while the lights are on. Forgetting to cut the power when it rains results in having to clear your schedule. If the little fuse to a snowflake blows, you have to set up a ladder and climb a tree to replace it. Of course, each time you go up a palm tree, it could be your last.

The fun goes on. The only reason to put up a large display is if you're absolutely bonkers. I am bonkers. As proof that I'm bonkers, let me point out that I'm Jewish.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I like simple best. The most I can manage is 3 strands of tiny white lights.

I don't like the inflatable thingies. Our neighbors had a Santa; one day, when it was deflated, and laying face-down on the lawn, the wind kept picking up the thing, and it looked as if Santa had passed out drunk on the lawn and was trying to raise himself up! Lordy, that was FUNNY!

I kinda go for the Williamsburg look myself. DH and I have a Xmas Eve tradition: we make a thermos of cocoa, take some cookies and a lap robe (for me), and drive through the neighborhood to gawk at the lights. When we approach our house, we always notice how pathetic it looks in comparison!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

You can show your DH the pic.
Here's a video from the same year.
There are plenty of reasons not to put up a large display. For example, when you have over 600 strands of lights, that means that there is at least 1,200 little tiny fuses. When one fuse blows out, the whole chain (usually 400 lights or so) blows out. When there are so many lights, you first have to figure out where that chain starts, which is always a journey. Then you have to figure out which tiny fuse blew of that chain. It also can be the case that a local dog just loosened the power plug to the chain... which of course - you only figure out after you've gone through all the little fuses and you have no idea why the chain is still out.

Then there is the fun of when it rains. Lots of little fuses blow if it rains while the lights are on. Forgetting to cut the power when it rains results in having to clear your schedule. If the little fuse to a snowflake blows, you have to set up a ladder and climb a tree to replace it. Of course, each time you go up a palm tree, it could be your last.

The fun goes on. The only reason to put up a large display is if you're absolutely bonkers. I am bonkers. As proof that I'm bonkers, let me point out that I'm Jewish.
And I say again....Holy Crap!! I did show DH the video and it gave him even more ideas. I do have to ask where you got the igloo and polar bears...they are REALLY cute.

Oh yeah, and we already have to find a tester to find out exactly which light is burned out. Taking into account rain, snow, dogs, cats...and wind...we're basically screwed. We'll be climbing up on the roof Jan 2nd trying to find the lost icicle lights.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I like simple best. The most I can manage is 3 strands of tiny white lights.

I don't like the inflatable thingies. Our neighbors had a Santa; one day, when it was deflated, and laying face-down on the lawn, the wind kept picking up the thing, and it looked as if Santa had passed out drunk on the lawn and was trying to raise himself up! Lordy, that was FUNNY!

I kinda go for the Williamsburg look myself. DH and I have a Xmas Eve tradition: we make a thermos of cocoa, take some cookies and a lap robe (for me), and drive through the neighborhood to gawk at the lights. When we approach our house, we always notice how pathetic it looks in comparison!
See, I'm like you. I like simple. Something that isn't going to blow away or throw me into a seizure when I'm coming into the driveway.
I love the look of simple lights, garland, a wreath....maybe a reindeer or two in the yard for effect. I grew up near the "historic district" in my town and the decorations were beautiful. Very simple. Candles in the windows, garland around the door, bows here and there highlighted by white lights. That is my dream...a victorian Christmas. Ah well...inside will be better.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do have to ask where you got the igloo and polar bears...they are REALLY cute.
The igloo was from Target. They sold them back in 2007, but I haven't seen them since. It might be different though where you are. As for the polar bears, that depends on which polar bear(s). The mother and cub scene were separately purchased. You probably can still find those somewhere if you'd like. The large animated/large one was from Target. I think the small one was from Home Depot. The rocking polar bears were from Target, purchased on different years. The one that rocks forward and back was purchased in 2006 or 2007. The other one though was purchased last year. Like the igloo, I also have not scene them since. The polar bear on the see-saw came with the see-saw and a penguin at Home Depot.

I think that's all the polar bears there were.