outside cat

PatL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I saw a cat come to the end of my driveway it was freezing that night. I called it It didn't run but was peeking at me from behind my car. I put food out on the side of my house where it is dark. The next day the food was eaten. I also put out shelter but I do not think the cat uses it. Although there was a blanket in it and it smell like cat pee! Someone told me that it must have peed in the shelter but to mark the territory. All i know it stress me out because I can't stand the thought of it being out in this frigid weather But I put the food out and the shelter every night and the food is gone in the morning. I put it out at the same time every night. Do you think it has somewhere to go if it doesn't use the shelter?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's very hard to tell between a feral cat and a cat with an owner who doesn't care. Either way, if you're concerned about the cat, you're doing the right thing by putting out food and offering a shelter out of the elements.
As far as having a place to go when it's not using the shelter, I'd say it does. Most cats (and all animals for that matter) have a strong survival instinct, which just like us include food, water and shelter. It may not be an ideal shelter and it might not be up to what we would want for kitty, but even a bush can provide some type of shelter that's better than sitting out in the open.
I'd encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. Maybe improve on the shelter to make it more attractive to kitty and you might just find a cat in your shelter one morning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing and the fact that the food is gone is a good sign. Feral cats, or even wary strays, are hard to "convince" that they should use the shelter or heated bed or whatever you have. They make their own decisions. Don't torture yourself thinking about where the cat goes. It is not like you slammed the door in his face as he was begging to come in and if he is abandoned or feral he is completely grateful for the food. I would keep the shelter going and he might get up the nerve to use it.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely think if the cat is eating and leaving that he or she knows a shelter to go to! Cats are very resourceful. They need a lot of calories in the winter so by helping it to eat you are helping it stay warm!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They use a tremendous amount of calories just to keep warm. Feeding that cat is just the right thing to do to help it survive. i, too, think it has shelter somewhere but needs more food.