Outside Cat I Adopted Because Of An Illness Who Wants To Be Free

galigach

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the cats I feed in the neighborhood is a 7 years old male cat, named Mini. I know him since he was born. He always follows me asking for extra food but never allows to touch him. A week ago I noticed he also did not come to eat for a few day, I found him sit alone in the bushes. His eye looked strange and some discharge running from it. Since it is impossible to pick him up and take him to the vet, I brought a professional catcher who eventually succeeded to catch him and brought him to the vet. The vet examined him, took blood tests and told me he may have eye cancer and cannot be outside anymore and asked me to set an appointment with an oncologist.

I took him home and since I have other cats, I put him in a small room alone.

He was very frightened and did not exit the carrier for a day, after a day he began to eat and drink, and continue hiding in his carrier. I showed him the litter box and he learned after 2 days to use it.

I give him wet food as a treat but he only eats when I leave him. When I tried to put the plate near the carrier he hit me and I suddenly realized that he is dangerous. Since then I put the plate at safe distance.

Last Monday I had to call the catcher to my home in order to take him to the Vet hospital for the oncologist appointment. The oncologist told me he must be first examined by an ophthalmologist in the hospital. There was one available, he told me that it can be or melanosis or melanoma, he can't be sure. He asked me to photos of the eye in a month, 2 months and 3 month and to send him.

I have 7 cats at home and it took a very long time for them to get along. I didn't plan on adopting another one.

Mini was happy outside, I was always loved him the most and was worried about him if he didn't come to eat. He is very gentle and graceful.

At home he is miserable, he is not used to be locked up in a room, he doesn't recognize me as he did outside, and he cries and hides from me.

It will take ages for him to trust me and get use to the other cats.

I feel I ruined his life by taking him home.

I don’t know what to do, let him go back to his old life with the risk of cancer. I may not catch him again.

Or force him to adjust to my home, my cats and being confined to a small flat in order to try to save his life.

What is the right thing to do?

Thanks,

Gali

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is so kind of you to bring him in and get his eye checked. It sounds like he is a true feral, so it is normal for him to be scared and aggressive. If you can, I think you need to try to keep him inside. If his eye is cancerous, it may eventually need to be removed to prevent the cancer spreading, and as he is so hard to catch, you might never trap him again.

Have you brought in ferals before? If not, or even if you have, here are some TCS articles that might be helpful.

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
Handling Feral Cats
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Good luck with him. Please keep up posted.

Also, I'm going to tag Jcatbird Jcatbird who has trapped and socialized many, many feral cats, as she may have some tips for you. Here is her thread, if you want to check it out: My Feral And Rescued Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

galigach

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help.

All my adopted cats came from outside, all were rescued from a dangerous situation or illness. No one was 7 year old as Mini, one of them was almost as feral, it took her 3 weeks for her to stop crying and months until she got used to being at home. I took her in because she started crossing a busy road every 2 days. She was a little more friendlier than Mini. But when I took her I had only 4 cats and let her after a week in my bedroom with them. She is now happy at home and forgot she was ever outside.

Gali

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bringing a feral inside is no easy task, but it is so rewarding. I recently brought 3 inside. One was 8 years old, one 6 and the other 3. They have been inside for almost a year now. The progress has been incredible. I also have 3 other resident cats. Introductions have been more difficult since it is 3 vs 3.

Time and patience is your friend. He can and will adjust and he will learn to love living inside. If you send him back outside, you will worry when he gets ill and you find it hard to retrap. Please give him time to adjust.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really understand what you mean. The crying and their fear makes us feel guilty but you did the right thing by bringing him in. I have just brought in the last older male feral out of a colony of over 100. At first he ws terrified. He loved me outside and would even let me pet him and would eat from my hand but when I brought him in it was like I was a stranger and a threat to him. I have been working to earn his trust back. He was crying and howling all the time at first. He hid and if I walked in the room he ran. He even leaped at the top of a window, spread out like a flying squirrel. I felt awful but I knew it was a life or death issue. Outside meant death. It has been a few weeks now and he has changed. He does cry some nowbut it is mostly that he is lonely and wants me with him. It takes time. Of the 100 all of them adjusted. Some took longer than others and some became so tame they got adopted. 71 so far. I still work with the rest. BJ is the last one and was the hardest to get near for a long time. I can actually pet him now. Sometimes he still swats me with a paw but he has come a very long way. He is really getting kind of spoiled! Lol It rained a lot lately and he seemed very happy to lay in the window to watch. He purred when I petted him then. First time for that inside! I can use a hairbrush to pet him. He likes the brush. I also use a wand stick to scratch his head. Petting is fairly new but he improves daily. Now he lays on a table when I am out there or even rubs against my legs. You’d never know how feral this cat was to begin with. He is still a feral cat but he is also loving me again. They begin to understand that food is coming, they are safe, they will get petted, they will be cared for if they feel bad and they are loved. Please hang in there with him. If you put him back out you may never get him again. He does care about you or he never would have come around you to begin with. He is just scared right now. He gave you his trust and it is still there. It’s just hidden under his fear. Reassure him, tend to him and above all, love him. He will settle in time. What you have done for him and your other cats is awesome! You’re a very special person. I know everyone here will try to support you as you make decisions with him. We all want the best for you and all the kitties. If you need help or advice, just post again. Many will be reading and hoping for you. Thank you for all you have done. I am glad you posted on TCS. I think you will find lots of good people and help here. You are not alone in this struggle. rubysmama rubysmama gave you some great links to check out. Very good advice has come in from all the others who posted too. I send you all the hope and good luck I can. We’re all here if you need us. Welcome to TCS galigach galigach :alright::heartshape::rock:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was a healthy feral cat who had lived his entire life outdoors, I would have recommended that you release him back outside. However, he has cancer. It is going to take him at least a few months or longer to adjust to his new life inside, and to your other cats. It will be difficult, but it is be best for him to remain inside so you can get him the medical treatment that he needs. If you release him back outside, you may be constantly worried about his health and well-being, and you may not be able to trap him again. So hang in there. I think it is wonderful that you are taking such great care of him, you are a wonderful person.