outdoor security enclosure

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am furious with myself for not doing this earlier. Now I have lost another little friend and canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t stand to lose one more.

I am very interested in cat fencing. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care for the shorter, weaker units, but this company makes a tall fencing product that not only should keep my cats out of the woods, but would be a big deterrent to any animal trying to get in.

http://www.purrfectfence.com/photo_gallery.asp

I was curious if anybody had any experience with this product.

I realize that there are a few of you that donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t feel this is 100% adequate for the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s safety, but it sure seems like a great compromise to me. They still get to enjoy the (back) yard, but they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t go near the woods where we have had predator problems. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really care if the neighbor cats find their way over the top…they were all interacting before anyway and I can just let them back out the gate. Our cats still wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be allowed to go outside unless one of us is home, so there is still supervision in case there is a tussle. We also try to get them in every night except Panda loves to stay out late in the summer weather. I usually gotta go find her in one of her regular hang-outs. With this system, I already know where she will be so I can bring her in at dusk.

I can see that a coyote could still get over top if he was desperate, but it would be the most difficult target in the area. Few in my neighborhood have fences this tall, yet there seem to be a lot of cats around. I am more concerned about the raccoons and opossums. They will still climb in easy to get to our fig tree, but might have difficulty getting out. No biggie…I could just leave the inside gate open for them to escape during the day when there are no cats out back. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m more concerned about them damaging the fence than attacking the cats.

Obviously, something could dig under, but I think if I stay vigilant and inspect the perimeter quite often, I can make repairs whenever necessary.

I really would prefer to avoid having to assemble a large cage in the backyard, but if I have to, I will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and ordered two units of the Purrrfect fence. I will have the backyard secured before spring is official. It will take a lot of work and I'll have to clear some debris away from the existing cyclone fencing, but I am motivated.

I will ask my wife to take some pictues of the process and I will give a review of the finished product perhaps with some occasional updates. I guess I can post some links to Photobucket or from my Comcast Photoshowâ„¢.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Especially if you are letting your cats out in the enclosure/fenced area under supervision, I think that looks like a great solution. I didn't look real closely, but my main concern with raccoons and possums would be chewing through the fencing itself. Please, let us know how this works for you!

I'll move this to Care & Grooming, since this isn't so much about cat behavior.

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that type of fencing, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have an outdoor enclosure for my crew. It's not nearly as large as those, our enclosure is about 8ft x 7ft. I had a simple little cage in mind, but my husband insisted that we use lots of wood & build it strong. He made it so strong, that think that we can actually house a tiger in there! For access, we mounted a doggie door on a piece of plexiglass. During the day, I open the my window & pop in the doggie door & at night I take it out & lock my window.

He's a link to my album, if you want to check it out... our cat enclosure.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by cagnes

I'm not familiar with that type of fencing, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have an outdoor enclosure for my crew. It's not nearly as large as those, our enclosure is about 8ft x 7ft. I had a simple little cage in mind, but my husband insisted that we use lots of wood & build it strong. He made it so strong, that think that we can actually house a tiger in there! For access, we mounted a doggie door on a piece of plexiglass. During the day, I open the my window & pop in the doggie door & at night I take it out & lock my window.

Dont really have anything to add about the actual topic, but your enclosure is sweet! One question, why is there one kitty that's allowed outside of it? hahaha, all the others are looking at him like "hey! no fair!"

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Dont really have anything to add about the actual topic, but your enclosure is sweet! One question, why is there one kitty that's allowed outside of it? hahaha, all the others are looking at him like "hey! no fair!"
Thanks! Well, that's Peanut & she has special privileges.
She was my 1st cat, also the alpha of the family & was an indoor/outdoor kitty when I got her. I've tried keeping her indoors only, but she won't have it. She never really accepted the other cats & just keeps her distance from them. When she wants to go outside, she gets aggravated & turns into an evil witch (feel free to interchange the "w" with a "b") & and will attack everything in site... the other cats & me included!
So... when Peanut wants to go out... we let her out. Thankfully, she stays in the back yard & doesn't go near the street & she sleeps inside every night... in my bed on my legs.
My other 5 are indoor only.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you've lost a kitty. I definitely have been there. The last one of ours got let out in the night by the dog!
Around here, they don't even last one night with the coyotes. Anyway, we have a privacy fence (6') that we have had a system put on - I think it's called the Cat Fence. The man who installed it also came back many times to fine tune it. (AND he made a donation from our payment to the local no kill shelter.) At the base of the fence, he put the chicken wire stuff into the ground so they couldn't get under.

Let us know how it goes - because a 6' privacy fence is really expensive, and a prerequisite for the type of cat fence we have, so it would be nice to be able to recommend something not so prohibitive.

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading about another enclosure and I thought it was from the ‘behaviorâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] forum so I started this thread there as well. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll learn my way around soon enough.

Originally Posted by valanhb

... my main concern with raccoons and possums would be chewing through the fencing itself.
Mine as well. Actually, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see this fence stopping them from climbing INTO the enclosure, but they would have trouble leaving. With my cats inside at night, I think Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll leave the gate open so they can get out. Thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s another gate big enough to keep a big dog out still, but not the raccoons and possums. They love figs!

Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s great! I wanted something a bit larger without having to build a zoo habitat display lol. Your kitties are all gorgeous and healthy!

Panda is our oldest (8) and she will have special privileges too. She has never shown an interest in those woods. Prolly how she got to be 8!

Originally Posted by kluchetta

...they don't even last one night with the coyotes....(snip)....

Let us know how it goes - because a 6' privacy fence is really expensive...
That sounds like a dangerous neighborhood, but I imagine you are in a more rural setting. No one around here would guess that there is a coyote problem; weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re 15 minutes from downtown Portland in a heavy residential area. But there is a large swath of woods that runs around a butte and down the hill. I like the woods; I just wish there werenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t any coyotes there. They are not really indigenous to this area. Theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve multiplied more as the wolves have been pushed out from the rural perimeter.

It will be expensive. But if I can spend 2k on a guitar, I can spend it on my cats. Just put it on the mortgage loan.

My wife and I discussed getting a new kitten today from a shelter. Gibson is only 2 years old and needs a playmate and Panda wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have anything to do with him. Gibson and Linus wrestled for long periods of time. I have some video of them playing together, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s so much fun and I hope the new kitty will play with him the same.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked at this fencing system and plan on trying it alsowhen I can afford it. let us know how it works for you.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I love your enclosure!!!!! That is exactly what I want to do for mine!!!
I also love the wood. What did you use for wood and screen?

cagnes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I love your enclosure!!!!! That is exactly what I want to do for mine!!!
I also love the wood. What did you use for wood and screen?
Thanks! We used regular 2x4 studs (not treated) & redwood planks for the shelves. It's pretty much protected from the elements since it under a covered patio, but I did go ahead & seal the lumber with a deck type stain/sealer. The wire is a rubber-coated small livestock type wire that we got a Lowe's. I think it came in rolls of 50 ft long x 4 ft high.

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it took a lot longer to acquire the materials than was advertised, but we're in business. I claimed that we'd be done before spring but we just got started. Both the weather and some less-than-purrfect communication by the folks at the cat fence company sidetracked this project for a month.

I ordered the fencing materials from their web-site and the charges went through immediately. The site claimed that the materials would be delivered in 7–10 days. After a week, I got to thinking that I should have made the order over the phone. After all, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not like we were just ordering a CD from Amazon, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s nearly 2K worth of stuff.

That was my mistake, but when I called, they were completely unaware of the order. Apparently no one was minding the web-site. The charges go through an automated system but it would appear they could be more vigilant about customer service.

Come to find out, they are behind in production and it will be a couple more weeks before delivery. Also they are on the east coast (Pennsylvania), and we are in Portland, Oregon. Since my wife and I go to work relatively early, we have to make the calls at 5am (8am east) and we canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be here for any return calls.

They kept saying that they would leave a message with information and tracking numbers, but it took a few tries before we received a message telling us that we would be receiving our purchase soon. Still, no tracking number.

I was enjoying my day off a couple weeks ago when the UPS truck pulled up, out of the blue, and the guy started unloading these huge bulky packages. It was obvious what it was so I went out and helped the guy (ok…I just directed him where to put the stuff…lol…).

After inventorying the lot, I realized that we were still missing the gates. The next morning (at 5am), I called and the nice lady explained that the gates were on back-order and would be sent asap. On Monday afternoon, there was a message that we should expect a shipment this week. Still…no tracking number.

Thursday, I came home from work to find…………….wait for it…………….

…not the gates, but another complete delivery of fencing material. The same order of two fencing kits that we had already received the previous week.

We double checked, and we were NOT charged for the second order. Naturally, we called them the next morning and fessed up. In my youth I may have had delusions of dishonesty, but thankfully, maturity brings responsibility for most of us.

I asked them to make arrangements have this stuff picked up. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s like, 300lbs of posts, rolled plastic and wire, and assorted accessories. We have since received the gates (again, no official communication with a tracking number), yet still no word about the other order.

Honestly, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want it. I put two 70lb boxes in my garage, but the big tubes that the posts come in, and the rolled fencing, are still leaning on front porch. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not really concerned about it getting swiped…itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s too heavy (and tough to sell for drugs lol…). And I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care about it being left in the rain; itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a fence for cryinâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] out loud. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just in the way and the materials I ordered turned out to be precisely the correct amount for our backyard project. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll bet Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m gonna have to pay to have this stuff sent back, and then haggle with these guys to reimburse us, weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll see…

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
enough negatives. The installation DVD is pretty good. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s an hour long and not only explains how to assemble the fence (A LOT of assembly required), but tackles many of the on-site challenges youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re likely to encounter.

The initial sales pitch for this product is outstanding and would really strike a chord with members of this forum. If youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re an owner of an indoor/outdoor cat, you probably spend a lot of time wondering where your pet is, and are they ok. At least I hope you do because you should. I have stayed up all night waiting for one of my cats to return like a missing teenager and I have had the heartbreak of them disappearing. With this fence, they can play outside on a quarter-of-an acre, and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll always know right where they are.

If this product works as advertised (and I install it properly), Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll never have to worry about anything except whether Gibson is taunting Panda. And since we adopted Kyra (what a sweety!) she has had to stay indoors and now she will be able to venture outside too. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure she used to be an outdoor kitty because she keeps trying to slip out. Vigilance!

I will try to post links to some photos as we progress. Cynthia took some “before†photos of the back yard. We have had to clear a significant amount of brush and debris away from the entire perimeter of the yard and it will take several hours with a chipper-shredder to get rid of it all. I had to dig out a couple mid-sized stumps too…busted one of my shovels, dang-it.

I have set almost all of the posts in place, only the gate posts are left but they will require precise measurements and probably some trial and error. Like I said, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll try and take some pictures before I continue so you can see the project progress and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll post links to them here in chronological order. Except for the order screw-ups; so-far-so-good. Wish us luck!

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure. Folks have posted photos of their enclosures of varying sizes here. Usually cyclone fencing and 2x4's. They always end up looking like a zoo display and are generally the size of a room in your house. If this fence doesn't keep my cats in the yard, that's next, but I would prefer they get as much running room as possible.

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worked on this for 5 hours today and made good progress. Unfortunately, I didn't take anymore pictures yet.

That's ok, I'll show you the 'before' photos.

We had to clear a lot of brush away from the perimeter so we could roll the poly-urethane mesh by there. I’ll have to be more vigilante about keeping the hedges and blackberry bushes off of the new fencing, but the material is surprisingly strong.

Here’s a look at the back row. That’s big Gibson checking out the commotion.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-18-06062.jpg

Here, I’m installing one of the “arch arms”. This helps keep the kitties from getting over the top of the fence.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-18-06044.jpg

I’m starting to install one of the two gates. Kinda tricky, but I got it right the first time.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...4-18-06071.jpg

I’ll try and remember to take some more photos before I continue. I have most of the mesh material hung; 3 of the 4 corners completed and one of the gates completely functional. I’d like to think I am 2/3rds done with the fencing project. The yard work is another story….

Marc G.

opposable thumb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On a side note, we were able to have UPS remove and return the duplicate order of fencing at no charge to us

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Opposable Thumb

On a side note, we were able to have UPS remove and return the duplicate order of fencing at no charge to us
That's great - and the enclosure looks great. Your kitties are going to be so happy.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine installed purr..fect fence and loves it. The only drawback is that it doesn't stop air predators from coming in, She lives in the desert so this is a concern. She finally took some fisherman netting and put over the top of it to keep the hawks out.

It is difficult to keep cats outside safe, last year this was slammed home with us several times, so we built our enclosure

Our feral home

Good luck with yours!