outdoor litter box?

laurakb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my cats, Jack and Eli, are indoor/outdoor cats, and now that the weather is warmer, they seem to prefer the garden to their litter box.  Our indoor litter box is kept very clean, but one of our cats can't even be bothered to scratch at the door and wait for us (the other one, just likes to stay out when we're leaving sometimes).  Are there risks (wild animals/diseases) associated with putting a little box outside for them?  I'd like to save my garden, as long as there's no danger to my boys.

Thanks,

Laura   

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would they use the outdoor litterbox? I feel like outdoors cats prefer using the garden, lol. But try and see what happens. The only thing is, put it under a roof because if it rains, it'll make a mess in and out of the box.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is okay to put a litter box outside and yes, it should not be exposed to the elements not only because it will be messy but cats do not like doing their thing on muddy or wet "soil". Scoop and clean it the same way as if it were indoors. 

Last edited:

joseph watson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is best to keep your cat's litter box in the same location. Place a second, new litter box in your garden location without removing the original box. Cat   litter in your garden  is unsanitary, attracts insects and feral cats. So try to keep it clean more often.   Ease of entry and plenty of room are especially important for older cats who may be arthritic. Also try to keep it in shade to protect it from heat during summers. 

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have outdoor cats (13 of them) that go into kennels at night, but are allowed outside during the day. There is at least one litter box in each kennel. Each kennel is mostly open air, but the litter boxes are under a shelf and in an area that is enclosed on three sides, therefore they are protected from precipitation. No problems at all about having the litter boxes "outside" in the kennels. No bugs or anything, no scooping problems, and I even use crumbles in two of the boxes.

But... only about 1/3 of the cats will choose to go into a kennel to use a litter box instead of going in dirt. Based on my statistics the odds aren't too good that your 2 will choose the litter box over your garden.