outdoor kitty who wont use shelter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an outdoor cat Ginger who is refusing to use her outdoor shelter she just lays on the rug in front our front door. How do I convince her to use it and stay warm?

Thanks
Leslie

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think that Ginger has decided to try life indoors?

lizita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try to put some cat nip on the shelter to lure her in there. Or try another type of shelter. Until she's started to use the shelter though I would recommend that you put a heating pad underneath the rug she lays on to give her some warmth. The kitties I had staying in my garage laid on a heating pad that was underneath a blanket and they really liked it.
Could you build some little makeshift wind shelter around where she has chosen to lay? Like putting up a tarp over a chair or something? If she's out of the wind and has the heating pad she should be okay.
Of course taking her inside would be best if you can do that. I have one now that I take inside at night and let her out during the day which seems to be a perfect solution for her. Maybe you could do the same with Ginger. You could always keep her in the bathroom over night to keep her away from your pets. Or if you have a garage or shed you could let her in there.

Good luck.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had cats who won't use the shelter given to them - it always worries me that they'll get too cold! Have you tried putting it in a different location? Or perhaps a different type of shelter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I don't post about Ginger on TCS is due to the judgement regarding her being outdoors.

Yes she wants to be indoors. But she has two options outdoors with me where she gets the best I can provide short of indoors or death as no one wanted to adopt her only her babies.

Thank you for the advice on getting her to use her shelter or keep her warm. I did rearrange her shlter and I think she's using it now so thanks. If it gets really bad I can put her in the garage for the nite.

Leslie

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I absolutely understand your concern for her. I cared for a cat that wanted nothing to do with being indoors. I first had a shelter that I put straw and purr pads in to keep him warm. The second winter I just went and bought him a heated cat house. He loved that. But sometimes he wouldn't use either, he just sat right outside the door. One day he just came in and never went back out again.

Thank goodness that you care for her and look out for her. And if she will stay in your garage on cold nights, that should give you some peace of mind.

I used to put a little catnip in the shelter and kept the food bowls right beside it, that sometimes helped.

debster747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband built a "kitty condo" over the summer for the 6 ferals we care for. People in our neighborhood feed them, but in the winter no one bothers to provide them shelter. It has an oil heater and is kept at an average temperature of 70 degrees and -- guess what -- only 2 of 6 cats use it. The others will go on top or go into the unheated boxes we had for them last year. Bless you for trying -- we are going crazy trying to figure out how to get our to use their condo. We've tried catnip, keeping the cat doors propped open, everything. If only we can read their minds!!!