Outdoor Kitten And Spray Bottle.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,

I have an outdoor kitten. It is 4 months old now. Animals are not allowed in my house but the kitten gets in the house whenever I open the door. I have used a spray bottle on him a few times to change his habit. But now he is acting very skittish. He was very friendly before I used spray on him. Now he gets scared even if I raise my hand to pet him. So I have decided to not use the spray bottle on him anymore.

How can I change his habit to move inside the house? His mother is a feral cat and I can't give him for adoption because there are no shelters in my area and there are a lot of feral cats here.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try continuing to feed him outside, play with him outside, give him a toy or two outside.
If there is any possibility of changing the house policy, let him in.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right to stop using the spray bottle.

Are you able to get the cats spayed and neutered? Are there vets in your area who could help you to find the kitten a new home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will take him to the vet in a few days. The cat population is out of control here so it is impossible to rehome a kitten. If anyone wants a cat, they can grab one out of the street.

He can stay outside of my house. I can feed him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if there's absolutely no changing the house rule, which would be so lovely if it could be changed, try getting a reasonably large piece of cardboard and use that as a block to stop him. It's a little nicer than your foot or the spray and might help to stop him being able to see in the house, which might help to eventually? help him to stop.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's heartbreaking that he wants to get into your house so badly and have a home. Can you take a picture of him and post it on social media, and try to find him a home in that way? Can you put up signs with his picture in your local churches, supermarkets, colleges? It would be worth the effort to try to find him a home, even if you think it's unlikely. It sounds like he has a wonderfully friendly personality, and if he is a good looking cat, that raises your chances of finding him a home even more. Do you think you could find a compromise with the person making the no cat in the house rule, and perhaps allow him inside at night?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is zero chance of him being adopted. As I have mentioned before the cat population is out of control here. You can find feral cats in every house. The cat is a normal looking tabby cat and there are lots of tabby cats on every block.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's about him wanting a home. Cats don't like closed doors. they want to explore every corner of their surroundings. I have allowed him in the house a few times. He freaks out after a while and tries to get outside again.

The house is fully carpeted and cats go through litter box problems.

I have talked to some people here and they take care of outdoor cats.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be trained to use the box. Don't let that deter you.

Please, tell us where you are located. We can help you to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area. This will so quickly get out of control.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pakistan.

There is a vet clinic near my house.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten has started to disappear. he only comes to eat and then goes ways. I don't understand this behavior. He plays with me and he is eating fine but after some time he leaves. Sometimes he vanishes for two or three days.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats can become sexually active as young as 5 months old, so if he is around this age, he may already be roaming and looking for a female. If this is the case, he should return after a few days. Cats do not normally leave their territory where they are being fed unless they are roaming for a mate, or have been chased out buy a more aggressive cat.