outdoor, indoor cat?

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My neighbors moved away about a year ago and left their adult cat. I believe he's about 4 years old and has been neutered. We've been letting him inside. He'll stay in for several hours and sometimes stay in all night. My daughter has moved out on her own and would like to keep him inside all the time. He did really well at first but he's gotten to where he keeps her awake crying most of the night. She won't let him out because she's afraid he'll try to come home and get hurt or killed. I was wondering if he'd eventually get used to being inside all the time or does she need to bring him back home? I have a 13 year old inside cat and she's always been perfectly content so I don't know what to do with him. Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.
Cathy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I'll tell her about the box and toy. She does show him alot of attention before bedtime and leaves food out. The toy in the box might do the trick. Maybe he's bored. He has been to the vet and in good health. I guess it'll just take some time. We'll keep trying.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some reason, having a big pot of cat grass has kept my indoor cats content. Even the cat we rescued from living 8 years on the streets is happy being an indoor kitty! Try bringing in a little of the outdoors with a heavy pot of cat grass and see whether that helps. (I suggest a heavy pot because he will likely make a big mess out of the cat grass grown in the little plastic trays you can get at pet stores.)

Bravo to you and your daughter for rescuing this poor abandoned cat!

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I never would have thought of that. We bought him some toys. He didn't play with them at first but she heard him at 5:00 this morning swatting it around in the kitchen. Said she didn't mind waking up hearing the bell as long as she knew he was happy.
Cathy

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 12 of his 14 years. He is FIV+ so I can no longer in good conscience allow him to go out, even if we still lived in a place that was safe for him to. He has adjusted pretty well.

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again,
Looks like my daughter will be bringing her cat back home tomorrow. Some days he acts like he's adjusting and then others he doesn't. While she was sleeping he scratched at the front door and tore up some carpet. It's a renthouse so she can't let that happen. We've tried everything and have given up. I'm sure he'll be happy to be home but he will be an inside, outside cat again. We'll just have to hope for the best.