Outdoor Cats

crazycatlady770

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We take in about every stray cat that shows up at our door. And although five cats probably isn't a very big number for most of you, we have lots of other animals :)
But anyway, how do I make sure our cats are healthy? Should they be vaccinated? They are all spayed. We normally feed them 9 lives dry food unless its not available. If not we get a similar brand of dry food. Half a scoop each. Every once in a while we have a case of ear mites that we treat with ear mite drops from the vet. They love eating mice, birds, small rabbits and other little rodents that cats normally do. Anything we should watch out for that they could get? They all live on our screened in back porch for the most part. One even is an indoor/outdoor cat during the winter. Even has her own litter box :blush:. But anyway my main questions are; 1. Should they be vaccinated? 2. Do they need any specific nutrition according to how old they are? and 3. Sometimes they get into some dog food. Is this going to harm them at all?
Thanks!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you’re another cat lover. I have recently took in three kittens and their mommy, already had two older indoor cats. So I have six. But if you love them and they go outdoors and eat wild animals I would definitely get them vaccinated. There are several affordable clinics around. In fact, I just took the kittens to a Pet Supplies Plus store where they had a veterinarian who offered the first series of shots for kittens at a reason price. They go back in four weeks for the second series. I’ve been feeding my cats Friskies can food mixed in the Purnia dry food. The kittens are eating it fine. I really don’t know if the dog food would harm them.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main vaccine that is especially necessary for outdoor cats, and required by law in most states, is the rabies shot. If they were to encounter a rabid raccoon or bat, they could get infected. Many vets will only give the 1 year shot for the cat's first vaccine, but thereafter there's a 3 year shot the cats can get. The other common vaccine is the FVRCP which requires a booster 3 weeks later. There's some debate about how long this vaccine is effective, but I've never had my cats re-vaccinated after the initial shot and booster and they appear to be immune to the illnesses. This vaccine protects against the Herpes V virus which is responsible for most upper respiratory infections, as well as for other diseases. I might add that even if you don't get the booster 3 weeks later, it still has some effectiveness. These are the usual shots cats get, they really don't need anything else. If your cats are eating rodents and rabbits (poor bunnies, yikes) , they may occasionally need a de-wormer, you should ask your vet about that. If they're outside a lot then they should get monthly Frontline Plus which you can order much more cheaply in multipacks on Amazon or Ebay. It protects them from ticks and fleas. Dry food is good, but it's also good to supplement with some canned food mixed with a little water when you can (I know this can all get costly) . It's wonderful that you're caring for these cats and getting them spayed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlady770

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! We do give them some canned food every once in a while :) I'll plan to start getting them their vaccinations :)
Yes they do like finding them some small bunnies... :sigh: Although we've had cats that just sat there as a mouse ran by :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Getting them all spayed and neutered is huge, so well done to you for making sure they're all fixed.

:rock:

I have a lot of former feral cats. They were all vaccinated when they were TNR'd and they got a booster four years ago when we moved here. They'd have to be trapped to get another booster, but as they rarely come into contact with other animals I haven't bothered doing that.

They're only allowed out into their enclosure, but it's pretty big so they get birds and mice out there. I treat them with either Frontline or Profender every month April to December. Winter is very cold here so I don't have to worry about them getting fleas or worms then. Actually the only thing they ever seem to pick up is ticks, which freak me out far more than fleas would.

Dog food isn't good for cats long term, but a mouthful now and then won't hurt them.

Can you groom them? I've found regular grooming to be useful because you can check for ticks, cuts, bites, dry flakey skin (which means they're lacking something in their diet) and feel if they're losing weight. It's hard to tell under all that fur just by looking sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlady770

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats great you take care of ferals :yess:

We have one long haired cat, but she doesn't cooperate much when I try to groom her. I will keep in mind and try to brush them to look for skin problems, fleas, ticks. etc... and good to know about the dog food :thumbsup:
Thanks! :blush: