Outdoor cat play pen? Not catio.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an urban area where my yard has no grass, just concrete. But in the summer, I still let my kitties out on the porch for sun and air supervised. But when they stray a little, I have to go round them up.

I'm looking for a cat pen that's enclosed and doesn't break the bank.

I saw this one on Wayfair, but I'm wondering if could just get a cheaper mesh tent. The comments say that the pet pen isn't scratch proof, do I don't know why I can't just get a cheaper kids tent or something.

http://www.wayfair.com/ABO-Gear-Happy-Habitat-Playpen-10672-ABO1027.html

Does anyone have any other suggestions or product recommendations?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are looks important to you? Are you OK at building things (don't have to be great at it) or know someone who is? You can build something out of 2 x 4s and wire mesh. . .won't look great but it'll work. And it can be exactly the size you want.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You could build an enclosure. A small homemade one shouldn't be too expensive?

You can see some examples here - 
[article="29670"]Cat Enclosures  [/article][article="29643"]Building A Cat Enclosure  [/article]

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this one

I really like it.  It folds up really and has a case to store it.  I allow one of my indoor guys to come out sometime with us.  He is only allowed out supervised.  He loves this tent so much that we often keep it up in the house for him to play. 

I think I have seen it cheaper on other sites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have this one

I really like it.  It folds up really and has a case to store it.  I allow one of my indoor guys to come out sometime with us.  He is only allowed out supervised.  He loves this tent so much that we often keep it up in the house for him to play. 

I think I have seen it cheaper on other sites.
These two look great. Though, still gawking at the price $70USD is a million Canadian right now.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are looks important to you? Are you OK at building things (don't have to be great at it) or know someone who is? You can build something out of 2 x 4s and wire mesh. . .won't look great but it'll work. And it can be exactly the size you want.
Unfortunately I'm really bad at building things. =(

You could build an enclosure. A small homemade one shouldn't be too expensive?

You can see some examples here - 
[article="29670"]Cat Enclosures  [/article][article="29643"]Building A Cat Enclosure  [/article]
I wish I had that kind of space. Where I live, everything is super tight and I can't put anything permanent down because that would block the walkway. So a removable tent or collapsable enclosure would work best.  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

These two look great. Though, still gawking at the price $70USD is a million Canadian right now.
Yeah, I worked my way up to this and currently have a 3rd tunnel now, between the tower and tent.  I try to find them on sale and have replaced the tent and tower already due to sun damage and the lost war with the weed wacker.