Outdoor Cat Family

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday a mother cat with four kittens showed up in my back yard and has taken up residence under my shed. I assume she is feral since she and the kittens hide as soon as she sees me. The kittens still nurse but are also eating cat food and drinking water. I would put them at about nine weeks old.

I contacted a few local rescues but either have heard they are full and dont have resources or I have heard nothing back. So I am left trying to figure out a plan. With two senior cats who don’t get along with one another I don’t have a way nor do I want to take on another cat or kittens.

I am thinking that I may try to line up some people, with vetting of course, who are willing to take a feral kitten or two as I catch them so that the longest I have to care for them is a day or two. I can stick them in a spare bathroom for that period of time and once they go to a home, set traps for the remaining. I won’t do anything with mom til the kittens are gone and I find a TNR group.

Do you think this will work? What are the things I should be concerned about or that might be issues?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I think it can work - I didn't know if you were familiar with this for screening people;
"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens - TheCatSite

There's this as well from another article;

"When you first bring them into your home, treat them with caution. They can inflict painful bites. Place them in a covered, warm carrier with food, water and litter. Move quietly and talk softly when you enter the room. Leave a radio playing soft music so they get used to human sounds. Usually, you can cover them with a towel and hold them firmly on your lap within twenty hours. Scruff them gently but firmly at the neck (this will not hurt them, but immobilizes them and allows you to work with them without injury to them or yourself!). Use interactive cat toys. They love playing with "Cat Dancers." If handled carefully, feral kittens can become tame within a short period, though, the older they are, the longer it will more likely take.

All feral kittens should be checked by a veterinarian and treated for parasites and fleas. Roundworms and coccidia are two problems most alley kittens seem to be infected with and they need to be treated immediately to prevent any major health problems.

Ferals often bond with the first caretaker who helps them, and some find it difficult if not impossible to bond with another human. If you are taming them for adoption, let them become exposed to many different people, and place feral kittens in new homes as soon as possible. They eventually make very lovable companions."