Outdoor Access Cat Disappeared 2 Weeks Ago In Rural Area

Gattara101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I posted here once one year ago because one cat showed up at my doorstep in the Italian Alps and I didn't know what to do with her, since I travel a lot.

In the ended I kept her (like everyone here suggested) PLUS another cat who also showed up exactly a month later.

They'd been both be spayed/neutered and abandoned, literally choose me as their new family and would just follow me around like dogs on walks. We've been together and lived in a couple different homes for 1,5 years.

Eventually I took them with me on a long distance, long term trip on a van around Europe and they've adapted amazingly. I even opened an IG account about it: www.instagram.com/thenomadcats

However, 2 weeks ago, the female (Milù) completely vanished from the rural spot we are parked at (Spain). She vanished into this air on a Sunday day time and all of my search efforts have been vain so far.

Very odd because it was day time, so the only thing I can think of is 1. either someone took her, or 2. she's ventured too far off while exploring – although very odd since she's a mountain cat and used to being outdoors.

I've put up flyers, walked up and down and into the files day and night, but nothing. Also odd because she ALWAYS comes when I call her.

It's now been exactly 14 days and I'm beyond desperate. She had a GPS on but unfortunately it broke and it's completely useless. My other cat is here and fine.

Has anyone's cat ever gone missing in a very rural area (woods, fields) and if yes, for how long?

Please give me some hope!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I have read numerous accounts on this site of cats that have gone missing for months and found their way home. So, anything is possible.

When you look for her, do you stay in one place for at least 1/2 hour in order to allow her time to get to you should she be a bit of a distance away? In addition to calling for her, do you shake a can/bag of treats/food in the hopes that she hears the food and comes to eat? Taking a flashlight at night with you and looking not only on the ground but upwards in trees, etc. might help if she is hiding out over head somewhere. Do you leave items with her and/or your scent outside in case she might come by close enough to smell them?

You said you put flyers around in the area, but did you also go door to door, building to building, etc. to actually talk to people about her missing? Sometimes, having that person to person interaction will yield better results than just flyers alone. I know you said you are in a rural area, so if there are people living nearby she might be trapped/hiding out in an outside shed/building on their property - you might want to ask them to look.

I am sure others who are more familiar with your situation will come along soon and offer tips of their own on how you might increase your odds of finding her!!

Keep looking!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gattara101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you look for her, do you stay in one place for at least 1/2 hour in order to allow her time to get to you should she be a bit of a distance away?
Hi @FeebysOwner, thanks for your message! Yes, I've done all of what you describe above, but the one thing I haven't *always done* is wait at least 1/2 hours in one spot simply because the area is SO VAST, I wouldn't know how to cover all of it otherwise... I'll try again tonight.

Still nothing and we only have 8 days left to be here

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have excellent sense of smell. Every where you step leave a trail for her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is true, about their sense of smell. Keep us posted. You're doing everything I would have suggested.