Out of control kitten and feelings of guilt....

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad this morning...
Brief kitten history; i rescued her from outside when she was 5 weeks old. She was very sick for a month, probably had both herpes virus and calcivirus, on top of being heavily infested with round worms. She was also treated for fleas. I had to force feed her for 10 days straight for 10 days, she had severe diarrhea and kept having to be rehydrated at the vet's. It was aweful, but she is ok now, though she has a flu flare up probably due to her getting her first round of shots almost 2 weeks ago. She is now 3 months old.
She eats a lot, and plays a lot. I feed her 4-5 times a day, plus all you can eat kibble. 
My problem is that sometimes she gets so excited, she is scary and out of control and nothing works. 
she lives in a calm environement. No kids, no loudness. Just her an i. I play with her, she gets lots of attention. I'm currently off work, so she is not alone a lot. Longest she was alone for was 10 hours, once. But usually when i go out, she is alone 1to 6 hours.
She has access to all of my apartment, had various toys all over the place; activity saucers, cat tree by the window, things with bells, things with feathers, stuff on strings, stuffed animals, tunnels, scratch post, and....my damn feet.
She attacks my feet. Her favorite time to do that is when im laying on the couch, or when im trying to sleep in bed. I have Googled for tips, and for the past 3 days i have said NO and quickly offered a toy to compensate. But she just keeps going back to my feet. She is obsessed! Maybe she associated attacking my feet to interactive play time? I also say NO and put her down, but she jumps right back, as in, in under 2 seconds. Last night it was so bad i put her in her transport cage so she would calm down. She just flipped out in there, slamming her head on the door. I let her out immediately. She is used to that cage, as she goes in once or twice a day for her steam therapy, and she is usually very calm in there.
It lasted 4 hours last night, from my playing with her in the linvingroom to get her mind off my feet, to trying to read and sleep and not being able to cause she just kept going after my feet, over or under the covers. The more i tried to offer alternative, the more she got crazy, even slamming into my mirror doors at herself. I fed her, in case she was exta hungry and to see if it would make her sleepy, to no avail. Whipped out a new fresh toy, and she played hard with it for 5 minutes, then came back for my feet. Then i got sick and tired angry, so i locked her out of the bedroom. Let her back in 15 minutes later. Same scenario.Locked her out again. Let her back in a couple hours later when i had to use the washroom, same scenario. So i ended up locking her out all night. 
She is still very active this morning. I have no idea if she slept. She also meows once or twice from the far in between 2 sprints of madness.
She is freaking me out. And i feel bad cause i got attached to her in a special way since she almost died several times. But i dont like her right now, and idk what to do with her.
I can see that she gets crazier when i get angry and push her off, speak louder, and reject her. I dont want her to fear me or be stressed. I want to er to be happy.
And i want my feet to be left alone, to sleep, and read dammit.

What should i do? It's VERY hard not to react and pull away quickly when a kitten bites your feet, the most ticklish part of my body. Cant ignore her.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is truly obsessed, you could try to shift her focus into an interactive wand toy, but it would be difficult. You could try a sharp hiss when she pounces, or use passive discipline and positive reinforcement for good behavior. She will likely outgrow this- it sounds like she's being a kitten. Because she was raised without a sibling (right?), she's taking out all her energy on you. Do what momcat would do when she gets fed up. Hiss, tap her in the face (gently, but enough to let her know), or screech when she hurts you. That's how she would know to stop chewing on her mom, brother or sister. Timeouts may be necessary for her, just to let her chill for ten minutes. A dark room or covered crate works okay. A toy attached to a doorknob, or a wall dancing toy may be good also. Things that get her attention. Try a laser pointer, a kitty fish pole, etc.

Hopefully someone else will come along soon to help more.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a normal kitten to me. They can seem pretty crazy at this age, but it will pass, eventually.

I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty for locking her out of your room at night. Remember, cats are nocturnal, so her most active time coincides with the time when you need to rest. As long as she has access to her necessities (water, food if you leave it out overnight, litterbox, toys she can play with by herself) it's fine to let her play in the other rooms of your home and keep your room for yourself.

It might help to establish a bedtime routine like, play with her, then feed her last meal or give a special treat, say goodnight and retire to your room (just an example). After a while she will know what to expect and (maybe) won't try to go in your room or play with you after you've said goodnight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well jeez...it lasted till 4 AM last night...Cray stuff.

I'm starting to wonder if she is teething and the discomfort is driving her nuts, but can't seem to find anything that comfims such theory.

She had a little brother outside, but he died about a week before i adopted her. I have no other pets and it is not an option. I can barely afford to feed her and myself after all the vet bills. Also, i had my dog put down 2 weeks before i rescued her, and his last 24 hours cost me a lot too.
I didnt want a kitten cause of their craziness, but she needed help. And like i said, now i love her.

I have 3 fish pole type toys hidden in various places so they are handy when she becomes obsessed with my feet. I have tried playing, then feeding, so she will groom and go to sleep, but it didnt work.
I have hissed, growled, screeched, removed her with the scruff of her neck, put her down, etc..but she is not impressed.
I'm all for passive discipline and positive reinforcement, but its hard not to jerk my feet when she sinks her teeth into them.
Tried the crate but she trashed about in it in such a way i opened the door before she hurt herslef in there.
I'll try the laser, but so far the only way to get sleep is to shut her out of my bedroom. And that makes me feel bad cause i think she has a bit of seperation anxiety.
I can try and more clear bedtime schedule, but i enjoy reading in bed for an hour before lights out. I think she has associated that hour with book corner eating and feet murdering.
It's sad cause the more i get irritated, the more aggressive she is...i make her nervous.

Also, she is desperate to go outside. I would be happy to take her with me whenever i go on my balcony to smoke, but no harness fits her 3 months old frame, even the XS ones.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sounds pretty crazy. The harness is a good idea, but it's too bad it doesn't fit properly. She sounds like a pretty normal kitten, but seems to have a lot of energy. Keep trying to dissuade her. Sometimes we all go for the squirt bottle. I also think that you should lock her out of your room, maybe even crate her, at night.

I've made DIY harnesses out of four small collars. One goes on the neck and one on the body, and then one goes on the shoulders connecting the first two perpendicularly, and the last goes under the chest between the first two and connects underneath.

Last edited:

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crate at night will only make me get up earlier or several times during the night to make sure she is ok and doesn't need to eat, drink, or use her box.

She is only 3 months old.

I have mixed feelings still about letting her out with me other than the hardness problem, cause i dont want her to start nagging me to go out, or dash through the door whenever i go out, which is quite often cause i smoke outside. I have a baby barrier in place, but she climbs that in under 3 seconds. I live on the second floor so it's dangerous if she dashes out, or even goes down in the yard. She is not fully immune to most diseases yet. Her ex colony lives right next door so she'll go there right away...with all the other sick cats.

I found that sobbing helps. I tried to nap cause she kept me up till 4 am and she was sleeping soundly so i thought it'd be a good moment to, but all of a sudden, she didn't want to sleep anymore and started to attack my feet again. I tried not to move...but then i just started sobbing and she left me alone. That's till i stopped sobbing, of course. Then i sobbed some more so i got a break.

She is driving me insane.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a Feliway diffuser or spray, or a keep-away/scratch-not/deterrent spray on the blankets and over your shoes or socks.

I'm betting she'll grow out of this behavior, but don't hold me to it. Cats with kitty-OCD do exist, but this really seems like an energy level thing.

Oh, what about one of those spinning things? Try stimulating toys, such as crinkly toys, squeaking nice toys, toys with catnip, balls with bells inside, feather toys, anything you see in the pet aisle that catches your interest might catch hers.

hunt, chase, kill, eat, groom, sleep

Playing hard and then feeding may stimulate her to groom herself, which could give you a chance to go to bed. Try a build a routine with her. Perhaps she would enjoy a cat wheel or more vertical space in a room. Or some cat-TV for her to be entertained by.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh by the way, i have found a way to get her off my feet when i head to bed; i put lotion on them.
The scent offends her, so she squints and walks away.
Voila.
I get soft feet as a bonus.

Of course, the smell eventually wears out and i have a hard time keeping her from attacking my feet while i brush my teeth (her new thing). but it's a start.