Out of breath, panting, swallowing => Heart condition? Tumor? Fat?

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, here is what I know and keep in mind this is human pathology:

HCM is a genetic condition. It means there is too much (hyper) muscle (troph) in the heart. This extra muscle leaves less room for blood to adequately flow, depending on how much extra muscle is there. Scarring also happens, which can alter the electrical pathways in the heart. The condition becomes unsafe when the muscle affects the blood flowing out of the heart. This can take years to happen, or it can be very fast. This is why you hear about sudden cardiac arrest, the heart just is no longer able to pump. In my heart, there is thickening in the septum (the muscle that divides the two sides of the heart). The typical presentation is that the septum is thickened near the top, which is where the aorta (the vessel that supplies blood to your body) is located. This thickening would eventually cut off flow through the aorta. In my case, the septum is thickened near the middle, which is dangerous for the electrical activity. I am instructed not to bring my pulse above 140, or lift over 40lbs, for fear of a dangerous rhythm occurring. I'm still early on in the pathology, but eventually I will probably need a implanted cardio defibrillator (a device that will shock my heart back into a safe rhythm if necessary). There is a radical open heart surgery that can be performed called a myectomy, in which they essentially shave down the extra muscle. It will grow back eventually though. I imagine this is why the prognosis in cats is what it is, because the science hasn't caught up to little kitty hearts yet. I wish there were all these options for animals too!

I myself almost never feel any pain, just maybe a little twinge here or there. I do get out of breath quicker than your average 20 something though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy you don't feel any major pain. I hope it goes the same for Poison.

I'm also happy that doctors can do something for you, but I understand this has to be major surgery... How do you feel about it? Do you take medecines?

I just came back from my appointment with the vet. He showed me some results he talked with the tech about. Poison's heart rate, at rest, is between 220 and 240. It should be between 110 and 140.  He said it's really high and there's no doubt he can't bare any playing or running or only for five minutes.  He doesn't feel either that I should try to stop his little game with my white demon, worse case scenario, he'll die playing with his friend, enjoying life. That's what I hope. As weird as it sound to actually say it.

He believes that his food don't need to be changed, but he warned me that it would be better if he didn't gain any more weight.

He also believes, just like you all do, that his condition is genetic.

I asked him about Vetmedin, but he said this shouldn't be used in Poison's case. We're sticking to benazepril (once a day) and diltiazem (twice a day).

Now, we planned on having another ultrasound of his heart in 3 months (sooner if Poison gets worse or if I feel something is wrong), along with a blood test to check his kidneys (because of the medecines) and a x-ray to look at his lungs. Then we'll see.

I think that's all I remember ...

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not be a candidate for a myectomy for a long time, maybe never, as it is a radical procedure. I inherited a low pulse, so I can't take the medicines they normal prescribe as I tried and became faint because these meds allow the patient's pulse and blood pressure to lessen. The meds Poison is on will work to do the same, though his pulse will probably remain higher than normal.

I know this must be incredibly hard for you, but enjoying life is a good way to go. And if that is the case - it would be quick and painless. Sudden cardiac arrest will cause him to lose consciousness quickly, so he will go straight from playing to the other side very peacefully.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overall, it sounds like a positive visit. Vetmedin isn't appropriate for all cases - it wasn't right for Cali - but at least you now know that, rather than finding out abut it later and wondering if it would have made a difference to Poison.

The best thing you can do is keep Poison at a healthy weight (though you may find he loses as the disease progresses), and let/help him enjoy life as much as possible. 

Take tons of pictures too - one of my big regrets with Cal was not having many pics of him to remember him by (especially when I came to commission a pawtrait of him recently)

We're all here to support you in any way we can. It's not as scary and overwhelming as it feels right now. 

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now I'm crying. What a sweet little guy! And so brave! I'm sure he'll be full of sass right til the end :grphug2:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its normal to be sad, mad, numb, and everything else in between. News of this sort is always devastating. We're all here to support you on this journey and, like you, hope had pray that Poison will go quickly and peacefully when the time comes.

Be kind to yourself - feeling messed up is absolutely normal so soon after the diagnosis. I was a mess for a good couple of months after Pixie got diagnosed - and that was after already being pretty sure that that was what he had! Nothing can prepare you for hearing those words. Cherish every day - and may there be many of them 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I just wanted to give you some uptade on Poison.

It's been 3 months and a half now since he's been diagnosed with HCM. He's doing great so far.

Two months after we started him on medicine, we took him to the vet to check his heart rate  and it's down by 5%, which is not ideal yet but still better than it was. He has also stop to swallow constantly, but the vet is still not sure what that was about, or if it was even related.

He's still full of sass even thought I think he's more of a cuddler than he was before, maybe the whole thing was bothering him a little and he feels better now? I don't know.

He has to take two pills on morning and one again at night. At first, I was scared he'd get tired of me forcing him to take those and that he would stop to come when I'd call me, but  he surprises me by coming  full speed each time I call his name.  I guess the treats I'm giving him after the pills is helping a lot lol.

On my hand, I think I've finally accepted that my baby cat has this disease and that it's nobody's fault that we discovered it that "late".

I really want to let you know how much of an help you've been from day one when I had all these questions, fears and doubts. Those last 3 months, when I felt a little  down, I frequently thought about your words and it helped me tremendously. I'll never thank you enough.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great to hear that things are going well with Poison. You're lucky he's such a good boy with his pills - it DEFINITELY makes the whole process loads easier.

Hang in there. Once you get into the groove of meds etc, it really isn't as scary as it sounds on diagnosis. I'm so pleased that he's being his normal self again. I'm sure he is feeling better - meds make a huge difference with HCM.

Remember that we're here for you whenever you need support - or even just to vent. :hugs: