"Out of Box" Accidents Related to Size of Litter Box

olivia520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! I have a one-year-old female cat who I adopted about 3 months ago. She's very very tiny, clocking in at just under 7 pounds. Because of this and the fact that I have a crazy small apartment, I have a kitten sized litter box for her. It is the only litter box that will fit in the bathroom, which is really the only place I am comfortable having a litter box. Since I've gotten her, she's had 2 "out of box" accidents on my bed. The first was because I hadn't done a great job cleaning out the box that day, so I got a Litter Genie to make it easier to clean out consistently. The second one happened today, for no visible reason. The box is clean, but she still elected to go on my bed at some point in time during the day. I'm reluctant to move the box because I don't want her to get confused and because I hate the idea of having a litter box in a "livable" space, but I'm starting to think that this might be too small of a box for her. This has happened twice in a six week period, so any advice on this is greatly appreciated. I'm planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow just to make sure there's no underlying health issue.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Good idea taking her to the vet. It's always best to address possible underlying medical conditions first. Let us know how it goes!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if the cat finds the litterbox uncomfortably small or dislikes the location due to smells, cramped area or something else, she's gotta go somewhere.  but definitely have the vet check your cat for kidney issues, diabetes and UTIs.

is your cat fixed?