Our Toy Aussie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister has a Mini-Aussie. I've only seen pics of him and he is GORGEOUS! They named him "Lockwood." He's a lot bigger than Lillie.

Lillie was a very tiny, fragile-boned little gal before she got spayed. Her Daddy was 10 lbs, and we expected her to be 10-12 lbs at most. On her last vet visit she weighed in at 15 lbs! That took us by surprise. (The Max weight for a Toy Aussie is usually 17 lbs. Some stay pretty small though).

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny story...

When I was a kid, we had two dogs... the Australian Shepherd, and also a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, which is a fluffy, white dog.

Our Aussie came from a breeder who owned a farm, so I don't know if she picked up these skills there, or if it was instinctual... but she would often "herd" the wheaten terrier like a sheep!

It actually became a bullying behavior we had to correct (because she would sometimes nip at the other dog's feet/ears).

Eventually, they got along fine.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny story...

When I was a kid, we had two dogs... the Australian Shepherd, and also a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, which is a fluffy, white dog.

Our Aussie came from a breeder who owned a farm, so I don't know if she picked up these skills there, or if it was instinctual... but she would often "herd" the wheaten terrier like a sheep!

It actually became a bullying behavior we had to correct (because she would sometimes nip at the other dog's feet/ears).

Eventually, they got along fine.
Oh my gosh. That's what Lillie does to us. It is an instinct with the breed. (Herding sheep). It's ADORABLE when Lillie does it, because it's a light tap on each of our heels.

However, with the taller Aussie's it's usually discouraged because their herding taps are on the backs of people's knees, which could be dangerous to people when you're trying to walk. Lol!

Lillie is a short little gal, so it isn't a problem.

What's funny about her though is she barks at people when they sneeze. (A lot of Aussie's tend to do that). When I sneeze, she doesn't care. When Mom does, she has to check on her to make sure she's okay. When Dad does.... it's a lot of bossy barking. Lol! She isn't even a big barker, so if she is barking I always know the reason for it.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lillie Grace Pearl is absolutely precious! 🤗 She has grown into a lovely tri-color Aussie. They are beyond smart and definitely great herding dogs.
She herds people, but mostly grasshoppers. (Well, she tries her best to eat them. We have a TON of them).

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think Lillie is that smart. (Shh... don't tell her). We've always had really smart pups, and our last one was sort of a special needs dog. (Reaction to her puppy shots. I miss her desperately). I've always heard how intelligent Aussie's are, but with Lillie I am STILL teaching her to potty outside. (She came from a breeder and was trained with puppy pads. I even keep a baby cam on her at night, to monitor her and let her outside when she goes near the puppy pads). Of course, she's the only child so she doesn't have other dogs to observe and learn from. (That's how it's always been for us. I definitely think it's easier to train them when they're part of a pack). She's also a scaredy cat, which we're working on. Everyone is "Stranger Danger" to her.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what is a "toy aussie" made of? I know Miniature American Shepherds is what they have decided on to legitimatize the mini-Aussie trend and separate from the standard size but no breed actually comes in toy to my knowledge, do you know what breed mix she is? If they have a lot of chihuahua or rat terrier or something like that in there, it might explain the stranger danger issue, seems like a lot of the tiny dogs get bred for size/looks and without much regard to temperament so the byb ones tend to be a bit sketch. The potty training is just a tiny dog thing, it can take years and many are more of training pad type dogs in the end. Tiny tiny bladders. She's cute, I'm a sucker for a black and tan dog.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what is a "toy aussie" made of? I know Miniature American Shepherds is what they have decided on to legitimatize the mini-Aussie trend and separate from the standard size but no breed actually comes in toy to my knowledge, do you know what breed mix she is? If they have a lot of chihuahua or rat terrier or something like that in there, it might explain the stranger danger issue, seems like a lot of the tiny dogs get bred for size/looks and without much regard to temperament so the byb ones tend to be a bit sketch. The potty training is just a tiny dog thing, it can take years and many are more of training pad type dogs in the end. Tiny tiny bladders. She's cute, I'm a sucker for a black and tan dog.
I've never had an Aussie, and my mother fell so in love with Lillie's picture - sent by my sister who already has an Aussie of her own - that she had to have her. Lol! So, I really don't know much about the breed. (I researched a ton of breeds, hoping to find my Rescue/Shelter dog, but an Aussie wasn't even on my list).

All I do know about Toy Aussie's is they're usually bred with Pomeranians or Corgis. (Hence their size. Lillie definitely has the adorable Corgi 'wiggle-butt'). They're not teensy-tiny, like teacups or anything. The "Toy" name is just to help differentiate them from the larger Aussie's. They're also not recognized by the AKC. They're not technically "working dogs" either, because of their size. Lillie is pretty short, and her Daddy fully grown is only 8 pounds and I think her Mom is 10 lbs.

This is her Dad and Mom:

p4.jpg

Lillie, after her spay, weighed in at a whoppin' 15 lbs. She doesn't look it though. She was TINY before her spay though. Too tiny I thought. She's become stockier since then, which I'm pleased about. I was worried before because she looked so fragile-boned. Even the vet mentioned it back then, and for a while there we were worried about her legs. (Long story).

We've always had small dogs. (Usually no more than 15 lbs). The potty issue is new to us though. I'm just glad she uses the pads and not the carpets. (Knock on wood).

Sorry for rambling. Lol!

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had an Aussie, and my mother fell so in love with Lillie's picture - sent by my sister who already has an Aussie of her own - that she had to have her. Lol! So, I really don't know much about the breed. (I researched a ton of breeds, hoping to find my Rescue/Shelter dog, but an Aussie wasn't even on my list).

All I do know about Toy Aussie's is they're usually bred with Pomeranians or Corgis. (Hence their size. Lillie definitely has the adorable Corgi 'wiggle-butt'). They're not teensy-tiny, like teacups or anything. The "Toy" name is just to help differentiate them from the larger Aussie's. They're also not recognized by the AKC. They're not technically "working dogs" either, because of their size. Lillie is pretty short, and her Daddy fully grown is only 8 pounds and I think her Mom is 10 lbs.

This is her Dad and Mom:

View attachment 461631

Lillie, after her spay, weighed in at a whoppin' 15 lbs. She doesn't look it though. She was TINY before her spay though. Too tiny I thought. She's become stockier since then, which I'm pleased about. I was worried before because she looked so fragile-boned. Even the vet mentioned it back then, and for a while there we were worried about her legs. (Long story).

We've always had small dogs. (Usually no more than 15 lbs). The potty issue is new to us though. I'm just glad she uses the pads and not the carpets. (Knock on wood).

Sorry for rambling. Lol!
That's what I've heard, too :) I've met a lot of them that resemble my breed of choice, Papillons, as well. Larger ears, refined face, etc. Here's my girl.
1697499279549.png

Lillie, and her Dad and Mom as well, almost look to me like there could be some Sheltie floating around in there.
Lillie is a cutie!! Enjoy her :)

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I've heard, too :) I've met a lot of them that resemble my breed of choice, Papillons, as well. Larger ears, refined face, etc. Here's my girl.
View attachment 461635
Lillie, and her Dad and Mom as well, almost look to me like there could be some Sheltie floating around in there.
Lillie is a cutie!! Enjoy her :)
Adorable! My sister had a papillon a long time ago, too. "Molly" was her name.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is they were bred down in size from standard Aussies. They are now called North American Aussies, and are working towards AKC recognition, and I don’t think the Australian Shepherd Club has recognized them either.
The nipping is Aussie behavior instinct. They can/will herd anything from ducks to cows and horses.
Aussies are awesome. They can do it all, in or out of a show ring, or a pasture.
Sorry, I know this is a cat site, I was owned by a standard Aussie for 14 1/2 years. He was my ❤ dog.
IMG_0859.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Aussies are awesome. They can do it all, in or out of a show ring, or a pasture.Sorry, I know this is a cat site, I was owned by a standard Aussie for 14 1/2 years. He was my ❤ dog.
No need to apologize, I agree Aussies are awesome! :thumbsup: Our daughter had an Aussie/Border Collie mix until last month when he passed away. 😥 DH and I called him our surrogate dog since our own shepherd went to the Bridge.
IMG_0132.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My understanding is they were bred down in size from standard Aussies. They are now called North American Aussies, and are working towards AKC recognition, and I don’t think the Australian Shepherd Club has recognized them either.
The nipping is Aussie behavior instinct. They can/will herd anything from ducks to cows and horses.
Aussies are awesome. They can do it all, in or out of a show ring, or a pasture.
Sorry, I know this is a cat site, I was owned by a standard Aussie for 14 1/2 years. He was my ❤ dog. View attachment 461693
An agility Aussie!! Did you compete at all?
I ran agility with my Papillon, he was my soulmate (still is). He was such a great dog to compete with, he was so reliable and so steady. I really miss him.
1697587023854.png

My current project is another Papillon, we play and train in agility but IDK if we'll ever compete as she's very, uh, "opinionated". :lol:
1697587266694.png

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No need to apologize, I agree Aussies are awesome! :thumbsup: Our daughter had an Aussie/Border Collie mix until last month when he passed away. 😥 DH and I called him our surrogate dog since our own shepherd went to the Bridge.
View attachment 461714
What an absolute beauty. I am so sorry for your families loss. :hugs:

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes we did compete. He was in 4 registries, titled in 3. I stayed mainly in Florida and Georgia for the trials. It was sooooo much fun, and met so many nice people. When he was 3, he started to refuse jumps. I wasn’t going to make him, so he retired. Turned out his spine was the reason, from doing agility. Didn’t think I could handle another Aussie, so got a Maltese and Pywacket 2 years ago.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes we did compete. He was in 4 registries, titled in 3. I stayed mainly in Florida and Georgia for the trials. It was sooooo much fun, and met so many nice people. When he was 3, he started to refuse jumps. I wasn’t going to make him, so he retired. Turned out his spine was the reason, from doing agility. Didn’t think I could handle another Aussie, so got a Maltese and Pywacket 2 years ago.
I miss it a lot. It really is a lot of fun!
Good on you for noticing that the jump refusals weren't behavioral, but something was wrong. Tag had a moment in the ring when he was about 4-5 that he flat out refused, and I knew something was wrong. A few weeks later he was so sick I thought I was going to lose him (he did survive and lived 8 more years.)
Maybe Kristin_Happy Texan Kristin_Happy Texan would want to set up a jump or two at home and see how her dog does!