Our Road Trip is About to End

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I don't know if you (or others) have come across them, but there is a series of books called "The Alchemist" series, by Michael Scott. Alcatraz is very important in them.

Apropros of really nothing, I guess.

Your kids have just had the equivalent of two years of education, I'd say, as long as they actually paid attention and didn't have their noses in books or games.

Those bridges and tunnels I mentioned are kind of a fascinating piece of history, done back during the Depression by the CCC. Did you notice that each tunnel framed Mount Rushmore? It would be just about impossible to get permission to do such a project today, let alone finance it.
Yes, the tunnels are very impressive! The kids learned a lot during the trip - they did junior ranger programs everywhere we could, which taught them (and us, the parents!) so much about the places we visited. They also picked up on the language quite well! I taught them how to read and write in English before they came, but now they can also understand so much and talk! I'm very impressed with the progress they made there.

Well, that's it. Everything's packed in way too many suitcases, and I *think* we're all ready to go. Off to bed now, and tomorrow - we're going to return the rental car (oh how I'll miss it!) and get on a plane back home.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Are we there, yet?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dad always wanted to take me and Mom out west. He traveled there a lot as a young man.
As a family we did cover most of the USA east of the Mississippi River.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful experience for you and family, and thank you for sharing your pictures with us!!!
I really enjoyed looking at them.

I can remember when both your boys were just tiny newborn babies. I can't believe how much they've grown!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think the kids even once asked "are we there yet"
Actually, I'm still amazed at how good they were and how much interest they showed in everything!