Our newly adopted cat doesn't want to poop in the litter tray...

samclarke666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I recently adopted a 4-5 yr old cat from a friend of a friend. She seems to have settled in fine, but her toiletry habits are confusing us..!

She always wee's in the litter tray, we've had no surprises in that department, but for the first 4 days she was at our house, she pooped in the litter tray like clockwork, then on the 5th day she  started going in the bath! So, after a couple of days of this we moved the litter tray into the bath and low and behold, there was a nice surprise in the litter tray (IN the bath) But then the next day, she was back to pooping in the bath again!

We've tried cleaning her litter tray out multiple times a day, morning, evening and just before we go to bed, but still no luck.

We did keep her in for 2 weeks until she got used to her surroundings, and now goes out exploring, but alas, she hasn't done her business outside yet!

I've read that moving the litter tray closer to the door then eventually outside could be the answer, but the problem is she will most probably just do her business in the bath again!

Would it be cruel to put a very VERY small layer of water in the bath, i'm talking less than an inch, so she might get the hint that this isn't the right place to poop? Or is that too cruel? Sometimes if she does her business while we're at work, our little flat smells very very bad by the time we come home, so it's something we want to try and nip in the bud as quick as possible

The only other thing i can think of is, we're using some woodbase cat litter, perhaps she's not a fan? But then again, she wee's absolutely fine.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks

Sam+Katie

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have one litter tray? The first thing I would try is adding another. Some cats don't like to poop where they pee.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Sam and Katie, Welcome to TCS

vball91 is quite right... my cat wee-ed in the bath, the sink, lots of other (highly cleanable, luckily) places as she had chosen the litterbox to poo in and needed a weeing spot. Yours is just the other way round. It's very common.  If there are still problems, try a different litter in one of the boxes.

Let us know how you go

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only other thing i can think of is, we're using some woodbase cat litter, perhaps she's not a fan?
A very strong possibility. The type of cat litter in the box is extremely important, so I would strongly recommend a nice clumping litter that is not too strongly scented and not very dusty. Also, please be sure to use an open litter box, not a hooded one and clean it every single day.

If I were you I would set up two or three litter boxes for the time being with different litters until you find out what your new baby's preference is. Then you'll be able to go down to one or two boxes (normally one box is enough for one kitty but some kitties are happier with two boxes) and have no more problems.

Actually, setting up several boxes with different litters is what behaviorists recommend as a first step to solve problems when a kitty doesn't seem happy with the box/substrate it has to use.   

Important: keep litter box away from high traffic areas and noisy appliances such as washers and dryers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samclarke666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou all for replies.

I will try a second litter box for now, it's going to be a struggle finding a place for it to go, as it's a 1 bed flat, we're very limited space wise.

The kitchen is out of bounds due to the washing machine, living room there is almost always at least one of us in there so not very private, but we'll give it a try.

Is there a chance that when she's more settled in and more used to going outside that she'll start going out there too?

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
try putting both in the bath

Last edited:

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Change litter to clumping clay type or get another litter tray you can set beside the 1st one , thus giving her a choice. Do you really want her going outside ? With all the cons of cats going outside just consider it ok? My neighbors have a cat that comes back inside to do his business and then goes back outside. He has been in some fights( not sure who with) and got injured ,yet they still let him outside.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would highly suggest changing to any clay litter.  The wood is great if your cat uses it but some just don't like it.  Also for the cats who do not like both pee and poop in the same box the pee turns to sawdust so there is no way around that unless it is scoopable and even then some left overs of pee are left behind.

My theory is the bath is so much better then say your counter or sofa(yes I have had cats hit both of those:(.

I take it you may be outside the USA due to the washing machine being in the kitchen and referring to your flat?  I know there is cat attract but not sure if it is available to you.

I would take the poops to some safe place that would be encouraged to be used outside(close to house for the rainy days.

samclarke666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for the replies.

I've bought some clumping litter (Catsan) and  a second litter tray, so we'll see what happens!

You are correct , I am in the UK. When she's out. she seems to like hiding in the bushes just next to our door, would you recommend dropping the poop there? or bury it slightly?

Also - what is the reason some of you are against covered litter boxes? any particular reason?

Sam

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats like to be able to see when in such a prone position in my opinion.  Also closed off may mean you forget about it and keeps odors confined making cat avoid it. Many of those boxes are on the smaller side.

I would not leave it where she likes to be as she will prefer one area to live and one as a bathroom. maybe put it on other side of your door and see she may cover it on own.  My female who goes out loves to bury with pine needles, my male just goes and does not attempt to cover.  But then again he is one lazy odd cat!  My 2 ouside cats stay mostly on my property and both go to the bathroom about 10 feet from where they sleep on the patio furniture.

samclarke666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes sense, thanks for explaining.

I will report back what happens with the second litter tray!

Thankyou all.

samclarke666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, 

Just to note, we bought some clumping litter (Catsan) and she is doing her business, both wee and poop in the same tray! Problem solved! 

Thankyou for all the help and suggestions.

Sam