Our new Tree for $16!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat tree is great, and your self warming beds are REALLY great! You should sell them!

ladygananoque

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are in the process of making our own tree aswell, luckily we had lots of stuff in the garage to use. I agree that they dont need such expensive trees, as long as its safe thats all that matters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Your cat tree is great, and your self warming beds are REALLY great! You should sell them!
Thank you! I get that a lot (I should sell them) but if I sold them it would be work, not fun, you know?

All but two in the pile in the picture (they are from last year) were made with a specific cat in mind. The other two found homes too, one of them only just recently (I always like to have a couple extra on hand).

I do think, now and then, about making a pile and bringing them down to a craft fair but then...nah. I have enough work in my life already.

Besides, if people paid for them, they would have the right to complain about them. And if someone doesn't like my workmanship, I don't want to know.

I make them for love.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

They take a long time to make because of my arthritic hands and wrists, I can only sew for about an hour at a time before needing a rest.
I don't suppose anyone on here has an older working simple sewing machine (no fancy stitches) sitting around in their garage that they could send your way?

Those pillows are neat, Stuff them in a box and it's an instant contained self warming bed.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I make these self warming cat (and dog) beds. I use the inexpensive fleece blankets that always come out this time of year, in grocery stores and drug stores. Originally I stuffed them with old retired pillows, but I've long since run out of those, and have to purchase the filling. The beds are lined with space blanket material, which reflects body heat.

I use these inside:

They are all hand sewn. I've already done some sewing this year, I was worried about Queen Eva messing with the thread, but Tolly and Mazy are wonderful baby sitters and have kept her occupied.

pile of self warming beds

Tolly modeling an early (first year) bed

I send them to my special kitty friends at Christmas. Some I make specifically for a specific cat, others are made without a specific recipient in mind.

I've made them for dogs, too.

They take a long time to make because of my arthritic hands and wrists, I can only sew for about an hour at a time before needing a rest.
Those are awesome, and Tolly is a grat model!

I love those fleece blankets! It seems that I can never have enough. I get the cheap ones & use them as blankets for the cats (and me) to sleep on. Just fold them up and set them down, my cats love this.

I am glad I asked because the other day I intended to make a huge pillow type dog/cat bed but my sewing machine isn't workig right. My eyes hurt if I hand sew too long, and the bed I plan on making is going to be huge. Think large dog bed. It's going to go on the foot of my bed for the cats & dog. I might have to try your idea though, that is really smart!

That is the second awesome thing I have learned from you, lol. What else are you holding back?

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would so love to make some of those pillows! I have a few friends in mind who would love them as well!!

Question about the all weather blanket. Do you cut it to fit the pillow? I know that is prolly a dumb question but I am the LEAST craftiest person in the world.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

I would so love to make some of those pillows! I have a few friends in mind who would love them as well!!

Question about the all weather blanket. Do you cut it to fit the pillow? I know that is prolly a dumb question but I am the LEAST craftiest person in the world.
Not a dumb question and yes, I cut the space blanket to fit. I fold it so the reflective (shiny) side faces out on both sides of the bed.

I use two layers of fleece blanket, and stitch the reflective lining to the inner layers of fleece to keep it in place.

I love making them and have pictures of most of the cats and dogs I've sent them to, using their special beds. I cherish them.

I usually include a small swatch of the space blanket material so people understand what is in there.

I am careful to remind people to never put the beds in a clothes dryer, but they are machine washable with a gentle cycle, and air dry. The inside takes quite a while to dry because the reflective lining kind of holds the water in for a while.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Those are awesome, and Tolly is a grat model!

I love those fleece blankets! It seems that I can never have enough. I get the cheap ones & use them as blankets for the cats (and me) to sleep on. Just fold them up and set them down, my cats love this.

I am glad I asked because the other day I intended to make a huge pillow type dog/cat bed but my sewing machine isn't workig right. My eyes hurt if I hand sew too long, and the bed I plan on making is going to be huge. Think large dog bed. It's going to go on the foot of my bed for the cats & dog. I might have to try your idea though, that is really smart!

That is the second awesome thing I have learned from you, lol. What else are you holding back?
Aww...thanks for the nice compliments. Your cats will love it. in the above post I added extra detail about how I make them (using two layers of fleece and stitching the reflective blanket in place to the inside layer of fleece etc)

The space blanket makes a nice crackly sound that cats love, too.

I put them away in summer.