Our microwave bit the dust

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I tried to melt butter yesterday to make those donuts and when I started the microwave to go for 10 seconds, the first second was fine. Then it started arcing and snapping. I stopped it and checked my ceramic bowl to see if there was something funky in the bowl. Nothing. I always use this bowl to melt butter and chocolate and have never had a problem before. So I tried it again. Same thing. And this time, I killed it. The inside light still works, but it won't come on. I got the manual out to see about a reset button or something. There isn't one. 

This is an old Sharp Carousel. We bought it years ago to replace a older Sharp Carousel convection/microwave that my parents had given to us as a Christmas gift decades ago. The exterior lights gave out several years ago, so we could never tell if we were pressing 2 minutes or 7. But it worked, so no reason not to use it, as long as we were careful when pressing times. 

I said to Rick that maybe we wouldn't bother to replace it and he looked at me like I was crazy. He uses it every morning to make his oatmeal. And I do use it for melting butter, chocolate, etc. Thawing foods right from the freezer, Boiling water. I do cook in it and I do a lot of cooking prep work in it, too. Like microwaving squash to cook it quickly. So it's not like we don't use it. It's so much easier to use the microwave than it is to use the stove.

On Friday, when we came home from work, the house was very, very warm. We had had a power surge or outage at some point because the clock in the bedroom was blinking. Rick checked the temp in the living room and it was close to 80 F. Way too warm. The register was really hot to the touch. We turned the register off and let it off for about an hour or so, then turned it on to about 50 F. The register is working fine now, but we're thinking that the power surge screwed things up big time. We get nasty power surges here a lot. And the power will go off for a couple minutes and then come back on; that mainly happens during the summer, but happens during the winter, too, esp when we get heavy, wet snow that the old wires can't handle.  The joys of living in a rural area. It's not our house; it's the electric company's equipment and wires and such.

It shouldn't have affected the microwave, though, because it was unplugged. The last thing I always do before leaving the house to go to work is check to make sure I've unplugged the microwave. I've heard too many horror stories of microwaves turning on by themselves and then starting fires in the kitchen. Consumer Reports has talked about this several times, too. I pretty much keep it unplugged unless I'm using it.

So I don't know. We'll probably have to replace it, I guess. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least they are cheap now.  I remember buying our first one in the mid 80's, a bare bones model, and it was expensive.  Now you can get a full size one with all the bells and whistles really cheap.  I had one go out once with a really loud bang, it scared the poor kitties.  They stayed under the bed for awhile.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
They've gotten a lot cheaper and fancier, but don't last nearly as long as they used to. Our first one lasted 23 years. Now 9 or 10 years is considered a long service life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our first microwave was a huge Sharp Carousel. I could (and did!) actually roast a large chicken in that thing using convection. It lasted for quite a few years; I don't remember how many, but we had it for a long, long time. This one, we may have had ten years....maybe. But I know we got our use out of it. 

I told Rick to use the Keurig for hot water for his oatmeal. He prefers milk, but he doesn't have time in the morning to heat milk on the stove. I told him that I would heat some milk for him while he's dressing.....his work place is so cold anyway I dread to think what he's going to go through in there tomorrow. But he said he'd put cold milk in the bowl with his oatmeal, then use the Keurig for a bit of hot water to mix in. 

I'm drinking a mug of hot tea right now because I'm freezing to death. Normally I would have used the microwave, but I used the Keurig for the water. And when I made dinner tonight (Tuscan Chicken with Beans), I probably would have used the microwave for that, too. Alas, I had to make it on the stove. 

Guess we do need a microwave! 
 I'm looking at yet another Sharp Carousel, although this one would be only about 1100 watts. I don't think I can go any lower than that and would actually prefer a 1200 wattage.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee I've never heard of unplugging the microwave and have had a few for many years, never a problem.  My newest one which came with the new mobile home is now 5 years old and I have never unplugged it.   The one I had before this was about 14 years old and never had a problem with it, thank goodness.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. You need a microwave. We don't use it for a lot of things. But it is easy to use for thawing food. We also use it a lot to warm leftovers. I would miss it if it quits.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my first microwave bit the dust, I was off work on disability and really couldn't afford to buy a microwave, so I thought I could do without one. OMG! I didn't realize how much I use a microwave! Cooking veggies, getting a head start on a baked potato before it goes into the oven, reheating left overs, heating up soup, cooking rice, melting chocolate.  I learned that is one appliance that I can't live without!  LOL

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When my first microwave bit the dust, I was off work on disability and really couldn't afford to buy a microwave, so I thought I could do without one. OMG! I didn't realize how much I use a microwave! Cooking veggies, getting a head start on a baked potato before it goes into the oven, reheating left overs, heating up soup, cooking rice, melting chocolate.  I learned that is one appliance that I can't live without!  LOL
I also use the microwave to heat  Autumn's canned food after taking it out of the refrigerator,  just for a few seconds. She never gets the whole can.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had ours for over 30 years and it still works. It is a big one sitting on a metal cart and I got it from JC  Penny.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine is over 15 years old and when it dies I already have a new replacement for it sitting out in the garage.  No way would I want to be without a microwave.  I use mine a lot!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I tried to melt butter yesterday to make those donuts and when I started the microwave to go for 10 seconds, the first second was fine. Then it started arcing and snapping. I stopped it and checked my ceramic bowl to see if there was something funky in the bowl. Nothing. I always use this bowl to melt butter and chocolate and have never had a problem before. So I tried it again. Same thing. And this time, I killed it. The inside light still works, but it won't come on. I got the manual out to see about a reset button or something. There isn't one. 

This is an old Sharp Carousel. We bought it years ago to replace a older Sharp Carousel convection/microwave that my parents had given to us as a Christmas gift decades ago. The exterior lights gave out several years ago, so we could never tell if we were pressing 2 minutes or 7. But it worked, so no reason not to use it, as long as we were careful when pressing times. 

I said to Rick that maybe we wouldn't bother to replace it and he looked at me like I was crazy. He uses it every morning to make his oatmeal. And I do use it for melting butter, chocolate, etc. Thawing foods right from the freezer, Boiling water. I do cook in it and I do a lot of cooking prep work in it, too. Like microwaving squash to cook it quickly. So it's not like we don't use it. It's so much easier to use the microwave than it is to use the stove.

On Friday, when we came home from work, the house was very, very warm. We had had a power surge or outage at some point because the clock in the bedroom was blinking. Rick checked the temp in the living room and it was close to 80 F. Way too warm. The register was really hot to the touch. We turned the register off and let it off for about an hour or so, then turned it on to about 50 F. The register is working fine now, but we're thinking that the power surge screwed things up big time. We get nasty power surges here a lot. And the power will go off for a couple minutes and then come back on; that mainly happens during the summer, but happens during the winter, too, esp when we get heavy, wet snow that the old wires can't handle.  The joys of living in a rural area. It's not our house; it's the electric company's equipment and wires and such.

It shouldn't have affected the microwave, though, because it was unplugged. The last thing I always do before leaving the house to go to work is check to make sure I've unplugged the microwave. I've heard too many horror stories of microwaves turning on by themselves and then starting fires in the kitchen. Consumer Reports has talked about this several times, too. I pretty much keep it unplugged unless I'm using it.

So I don't know. We'll probably have to replace it, I guess. 
If you have a Kohl's card, you can get 30% off any item (including sale items) if you use the following code. The free shipping one is good if the item ends up to be less than $75.00

30% off code HUGS30
free shipping code FEBMVC
feb. 11 - 18

You have to pay with a Kohl's card though. If you use Ebates, you can get $$ back from that, too. Just go to the Kohl's website through Ebates. 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'll have to see if Kohl's has the one I'm looking for. I don't have a Kohl's card, but my sister does and using it is no problem at all.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hey, I had a huge Sharp carousel convection microwave that I got as a welding gift and when that died I got a regular Sharp carousel. :lol3: Does that mean my microwave is going to die soon? :lol3:

Good luck finding one you like. :cross:

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I went shopping for a new one I brought my favorite corningware (dutch oven) and made sure it fit before I bought the new one!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hey, I had a huge Sharp carousel convection microwave that I got as a welding gift and when that died I got a regular Sharp carousel.
Does that mean my microwave is going to die soon?

Good luck finding one you like.
I don't know. Does not bode well, Karen! 
 We had that Sharp convection microwave and man, I loved that thing. I kept the round tray that came with it....it was like a blue granite splatter-type tray. It was pretty nice and I use it now when I need a tray for something. We're looking at another Sharp carousel. They've gotten a lot smaller.

When I went shopping for a new one I brought my favorite corningware (dutch oven) and made sure it fit before I bought the new one!
Now that's an idea! One of the items I use a lot in our microwave is a 10-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup. I use it for boiling water for making iced tea. We have a 1-1/2-quart white Corning round casserole with a lid that Rick uses a lot when he microwaves vegetables. And when I'm in a hurry and need bacon for a recipe, I have an 8 x 10 Corning white plate that I use to microwave bacon. As long as I use those things, I should be good to go!

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you are looking at Sharp but I will mention that I have had really good luck with the Whirlpool that I have.  I don't cook in it but it gets used daily with warming and defrosting.  I have had it for at least 15 years, actually I think it may be a bit older.  I have lived here for 10 years and I got it quite a while before I moved.  The one that I had before, don't remember the brand of that one, didn't last very long.  It was the one that gave out with a loud bang.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I went shopping for a new one I went to Consumers Reports and checked out their recommendations.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
When Rick was in town yesterday morning, he suddenly texted me with, "You know, dear, I think there's an old microwave in the basement. The one I used when I was working in the stock room." 

Sure enough, he came home and dug out a (very) old Sharp Carousel from the basement. I thought we got rid of it, but he kept it. He brought it upstairs and I cleaned it out. The lights work and it has some scratches, but we haven't tried it out yet. If it works OK, that will help until we can buy the microwave that I want. I'm really in no hurry to buy a new microwave, so as long as this one makes oatmeal for Rick in the morning, we'll be in good shape. It's only about 1,000 watts, though, so it's not what I want for long-term use.

I did check Consumer Reports. They talked about a Panasonic and there was a GE they liked. But when I checked the overall reviews, there were a lot of irate consumers for both brand models. Not going there.