Our little FeLV+ now CRF too

kc88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I took Boo to the vet because she's been drinking/peeing a LOT. Turns out her kidneys are failing. She's only 1-and-1/2! But she's FeLV+, so I guess anything is possible. I had to basically beg the vet to at least try something...at first he said, "There's nothing we can do because of the FeLV," so I asked what he would do with an otherwise healthy cat, and he said, "*mumblemumble too quick to understand* and put her on a prescription diet." So I at least got him to write a prescription diet for her that I'll pick up tomorrow.

I'm reading up on CRF now (on these forums and the general interwebs) and I'm just devastated. She's the best little kitty ever and so YOUNG. What a terrible hand she's been dealt. I don't know what to do. I want to leave work now and take care of her ASAP. The vet said he's surprised she's not showing more symptoms (aside from the polyuria...I know I spelled that wrong). Unless you saw how much she drinks/urinates, you'd have no idea she's so ill!

If anyone has any sort of advice about caring for a cat with FeLV and CRF...I'd be very grateful. I feel lost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kc88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, he didn't. I think he thinks she's a lost cause because of her FeLV. But I don't know...I'd feel like I did her a disservice if I didn't try everything. I'll try to ask him/anyone there tomorrow when I pick up her food about the sub-q fluids option. I'm not sure if exposing her to bacteria with a needle every day is better or worse than her just drinking water...weird with the FeLV/CRF cross-section. I know that FeLV is deceptive since she looks/acts so healthy. But alas...

Thank you, Carolina.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, KC88. I'm so very sorry it's under these circumstances.

I've had no experience with CRF, so I can't offer you any advice. However, there are many here who have, and who will reply to you very soon, I'm sure.

Maybe a second opinion would be worth a try? Some vets have more experience than others, maybe there's a vet near you that is more familiar with FeLV and / or CRF?

Many <<<hugs>>> for having to go through this, and I'm praying your kitty does well with supportive care!!!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kc88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much, AC. I think part of why this whole experience is making me so sad is that she's so young. And she'd been dumped off by some other owners (was a stray alleycat; no tags or chip but had been spayed and is super affectionate) and she found us, so I feel like I should be able to help her and I can't.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!

We have a FeLV+, but fortunately no CRF.

I hope if you get the prescription diet that you choose the canned food - that will contain more moisture - instead of the kibble.

I do use kibble (about 5 or 6 pieces) to get Buddy interested in eating his canned food, it's most helpful when his appetite isn't as good as I'd like.
I have him on Wellness - no grain.

http://www.catinfo.org/#Kidney_Failure
scroll down the page - it only addresses Kidney Failure, not CRF with FeLV, but maybe you can pick up a few ideas?

... Kidney Disease (CKD - formerly called "CRF"):
Chronic kidney disease is probably the leading cause of mortality in the cat. It is troubling to think about the role that chronic dehydration may play in causing or exacerbating feline kidney disease. And remember, cats are chronically dehydrated - especially CKD cats - when they are on a diet of predominantly dry food. The prescription dry 'renal diets' such as Hill's Prescription k/d - which are commonly prescribed by veterinarians - contain only a small amount of moisture (~10% versus 78% for canned food) leaving your cat in a less than optimal state of water balance.

I must say that I find it truly amazing when I hear about the very large numbers of cats receiving subcutaneous fluids while being maintained on a diet of dry food. This is an extremely illogical and unhealthy practice and every attempt should be made to get these cats on a diet that contains a higher moisture content.

Please also note the following list of the first four ingredients of Hill's Prescription dry k/d after reviewing this section on reading a pet food label - and bearing in mind that your cat is a carnivore. This is a diet that would never find its way into a food bowl owned by any cat in my care. The first three ingredients are not even a source of meat and the fourth ingredient is a by-product meal which is not necessarily an unhealthy source of protein but it would be nice to see some muscle meat ("chicken") in this product.

Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken by-product meal

The purpose of this prescription diet is to restrict protein which, unfortunately, it certainly does. However, please understand that there are no studies showing that restricting protein to this level will prevent further deterioration of kidney function.

k/d restricts protein to the point that some cats - those that are not consuming enough of the diet to provide for their protein calorie needs - will catabolize (use for fuel) their own muscle mass which results in muscle wasting and weight loss. This internal breakdown of the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s own muscle mass will cause an increase in creatinine which needs to be cleared by the kidneys. The rise in creatinine, and muscle wasting, can lead to an often-erroneous conclusion that the patientâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s CKD is worsening.

Of course, the same deterioration can occur in any cat that is not consuming enough protein, but the level of protein in this diet is not only at an extremely low level, it is in an incomplete form for a carnivore. Note that it is made up mainly of plant proteins - not meat proteins. It is also water-depleted as is the very definition of all dry foods.
Do you have a water fountain to encourage her to drink?

Perhaps another - more understanding and helpful - vet would be of benefit?

I'm so sorry I am unable to help you with better advice. My heart goes out to you and Boo.