TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here's a close up

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, someone step in if I'm out of line here please, but it looks normal to me. However, I did take my kittens in when they were a couple days old just for the vet to check them out. Always go to or call the vet if things "don't seem right."

In addition one of my 8 kittens kept their umbilical cord for a REALLY long time - like twice the usual time. I guess it just took longer to "dry out"!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he seems like he is pretty healthy to me, he feeds sooo much now ( I can hear him sucklng
), sleeps a lot and never cries unless I pick him up out the nest. I always make sure his nest is nice and warm with the rice filled socks and I have a heater on in the room to make sure the temp is nice and cozy.

In person that white ring around his belly button really just looks like dry skin or like a scab that is healing.

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome with all your help and feedback! I can't begin to explain how much you guys have helped!

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat sozo ( the mama cat) has sleep or guk coming out of her eyes, which she has never had before. My boyfriend and I both noticed that her eyes look very watery... almost like she was crying... Is this possible? Lately just before she goes to enter the nest, she stands infront of it meowing, but it's not her usual meow.. it kind of sounds like she is whining/crying or something. She seems a little depressed to me.... But maybe she is just exhausted from giving birth and having to feed her kitten so much. I have to say though, she has been spending a lot more time in the nest with Pubah, which is a good thing!!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the stress of being pregnant and giving birth can trigger illness in the mother cat. She may be developing the first symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection, especially if she seems a bit depressed. A visit to the vet is a good idea.

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm... yes yes that does sound like a URI, please get her to a vet now now now. She could infect her little one! And as I've said on this forum a million times before through my own sad experience, kittens can fade really quick from this and lose their precious lives.

If it really is a URI I would think they need to be separated... but whatever, do bring them to see a vet and see what he/she says. And soon too! Kittens' immune systems aren't the most hardy on the planet.

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call and book an appointment today. What is the best way to travel with a kitten in a car... for example, lots of blankets ect? I know Sozo is going to be worried about her kitten while we're in the car. We're not going to put her in a cage because she gets so stressed out, and I don't think needs any more stress. So my b/f is going to carry her instead.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful having a stressed cat loose in the car. They can slip under the pedals, meaning you cannot brake. Keep Pubah in a box of his own, lined with a warm towel or blanket. Place the sock heater that you have under the bedding so he gets the warmth but it's not touching him directly. The reason that you don't put kittens in with the mumcat is that a car trip and a vet visit can be stressful for her and there is a danger that she could accidently step on them.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And also they can get away from you REALLY quickly if something spooks them when you're between the house/vet and the car. That said, I've traveled with the cat being held, but I would put a harness and leash on them so I'd have an extra safety factor.

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally like to transport them in a cat carrier that closes securely. They always meow when I first start travelling, but they settle down if it takes any length of time. The carrier is for their safety. It is bad to have a stressed out cat bouncing off the inside of a car. Also they will not be able to get loose, where anything bad could happen. For short trips, I put two cats in the same carrier provided they know each other and don't fight.

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she doesn't have it today and her eyes aren't watery either, but it was just like a grey/white colour... almost see through... But she still does the meowing before she enters the nest.. I'm thinking she just doesn't like breast feeding, because maybe it hurts her?... that might be the reason for hesitating and meowing before she enters the nest. Pubah (kitty) is a hungry little guy.. he feeds every chance he gets

Nevertheless I'm still going to take them to the vet....

I'm just worried they might catch something at the vet... this happened to my boyfriends previous kitty who died after catching a disease from another cat at the vet.

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some more pix I took.. I'm trying to take as much as I can before he opens his eyes, because I won't be able to once they are open. Because of the bright flash.

^ He's searching for a nipple in that one!!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxybebe

she doesn't have it today and her eyes aren't watery either, but it was just like a grey/white colour... almost see through... But she still does the meowing before she enters the nest.. I'm thinking she just doesn't like breast feeding, because maybe it hurts her?... that might be the reason for hesitating and meowing before she enters the nest. Pubah (kitty) is a hungry little guy.. he feeds every chance he gets

Nevertheless I'm still going to take them to the vet....

I'm just worried they might catch something at the vet... this happened to my boyfriends previous kitty who died after catching a disease from another cat at the vet.
I agree with being concerned about going to the vet. With the eye goop being whitish grey, I don't think this is something you need to seek the vet out for - yet. Just keep an eye on her and if the discharge goes yellowish-green or green, THAT would be the time to get her in.

The meowing is normal. She is calling him - as we say around here, "She is telling everyone the Buffet is now open". *grin*

Sounds like everything is going along OK - take a breath, relax and just enjoy them. You really are micromanaging a bit.

~gf~

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I agree with being concerned about going to the vet. With the eye goop being whitish grey, I don't think this is something you need to seek the vet out for - yet. Just keep an eye on her and if the discharge goes yellowish-green or green, THAT would be the time to get her in.

The meowing is normal. She is calling him - as we say around here, "She is telling everyone the Buffet is now open". *grin*

Sounds like everything is going along OK - take a breath, relax and just enjoy them. You really are micromanaging a bit.

~gf~
haha I know, I tend to over worry about things! My boyfriend just read the part of your post that says " Sounds like everything is going along OK - take a breath, relax and just enjoy them. You really are micromanaging a bit." and well....he laughed.... he couldn't agree with you more!
And that bit you said about the buffet being now open... now that is too funny!

I was just looking at Pubah, and he is getting sooo big! It has been less than a week since his birth and he is growing like a weed! I guess that's proof everything is going normal!

roxybebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I just LOVE
sweet little Pubah!! Our mommies look the same: see...

Pretty black kitty mommy.
Awwe thanks! I took a look at your kittens photos too!! SOOO cute... I'm guessing they are grown up now? The cat with blue and brown eyes is very pretty, I had a dog once who had the same eye colours!

Yeah I was thinking that Sozo and your mama cat look the same too

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My babies are six months old today. The odd-eyed kitty we kept. He's the one with the big black cap on in the photo. The rest of them we see pretty regularly.