Our "Invisible" New Cat. Need some help please

mccourt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted our new Kitty "Izzy" over a month ago. She is a 3 1/2yro female Norwiegian Forest mix. We got a little bit of history on her. She was picked up multiple times as a stray (apparently previous owners did not want an indoor cat) and she was at the shelter 3 years before we got her. They told us when we picked her up that she pretty much stays hidden till night. Actually, the day I took her home was the first day I saw her in person because during my previous visit she was in hiding.

We put her in a quiet room with food, water, etc. and didn't really mess with her except when she would hide somewhere we needed to get into. All I have seen of her -withoutactually  looking for her- is when I get up during the night and see a white and black blur as she bolts to hide. We hear her often though as her food is near our bed and she comes out to eat and do her business at night. For a few days during her second week she would go to the bedroom door and have a conversation with our other cat whom is on the other side. She quit that and only once since then she kinda did the same thing except with me. I was in the living room at 3am and she was watching me from under the door occasionally meowing, but I tried opening it and leaving it that way and never saw her again.

I feel bad that she bolts everytime we see her but she never acts aggressive. She will hiss if we accidently intrude into her hiding spot, but its more of a fear hiss. If I reach back and pet her to show her I mean no harm, she quits. I couple times I've picked her up when we needed to move her and set her on the bed with me. After a few minutes of petting she will PURRRRRRR and act cuddly, but as soon as I stop, she disappears again.

We use Feliway (about a month too) and are as quite and slow moving as possible when in her areas. She does not act curious at all and no amount of treats, toys, catnip, tuna, canned food, dry food, etc will get her to approach any of us. Any ideas? Does she need more time? Or is she always going to be fearful?

THANKS!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The old suggestion:  A small room where she can't easily hide, but where she can feel secure.  Visit with her, talk to her, read to her, pet her, etc.  She may never be a daytime cuddler, but don't be surprised if she ends up on your bed before you know it.

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personality does have a genetic component. Sorry to say this but shelter cats are there for a reason. If this cat has a genetic feral personality, there is not much you can do.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what my behavior book says to do... Try not to do anything that scares her, do not approach her, do not look her in the eyes, just pretty much ignore her. It says not leave food at all when you are not in the home. She needs to associate food=good things=you.  In addition,  keep having something yummy like a treat in your bedroom. Also said it would help to casually throw little treats or shrimps her way when she comes into your bedroom or near you someplace else at night. The fact that she comes to your door and observe you is very good sign.  Also, I would maybe talk to her when you know she is looking in the door at you.  Keep your voice calm and soothing.  Just don't force her.  Maybe leave it a little open so she can come in or not, no pressure? 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mccourt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice. We a currently in a small home while our permanent home is being built so we didn't have a seperate space for her. I will try to give her as much space as possible and leave the door cracked incase she wants to visit. I found out who her parents were (small town and she's uniquely marked) and they both are loveable so I'm hoping for it to not be a genetic/permanent issue, but you never know. I guess I worry a bit much sometimes, especially since we have several other pets and never had this issue. I feel a bit reassured now though, so thank you! Oh, and thank you for the information about the food being left out. I never thought of something like that and will definatly give it a try

Last edited: