Our house could have burned down!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a smoke alarm by the laundry?

I once asked a fire fighter what's the best thing to do to prevent fires at home and he said use dryers only when you are home (and not asleep!), and always unplug coffee makers and toasters when you aren't using them.

Glad it all turned out okay!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

How scary!!!! I'm so glad that you were home and didn't throw things in the dryer and run out of the house like so many people do! So many don't think about things like lint build up and faulty outlets and take it for granted that it's safe to leave appliances such as dryers running unattended.

I'm happy that no one was injured and that it was caught before a fire broke out!!
Never do this!! So many people run their dryer while they are away or when they go to bed. This is a huge mistake. Any appliance should be used while you are home and awake, other than an appliance such as a refrigerator which is understandable. But dryers are very dangerous when not maintained properly, such as not cleaning the lint after every load or proper venting. Also, many appliances should be unplugged when not in use. (Toasters, toaster ovens, coffee makers etc.) Not only does this make things safer, it can save you money on your electric power. All appliances when left plugged in and not in use, still consume electricity. This is called phantom power. Another item that can be dangerous are cell phones while being charged. The batteries can become hot and even catch fire. Never place a charging cell phone on any flammable surface such as paper or a towel. So glad you are ok