Our darkest day

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,
I haven't seen this mentioned on here yet but on Tuesday the 23rd of November 29 New Zealand and Australian coal miners lost their lives.

If you search NZ miners on google you will get 1000's of hits but here is one news link

http://www.smh.com.au/world/new-blast-all-miners-feared-dead-20101124-1862p.html

If you haven't already please spare some thoughts for the families of these miners and those involved in the rescue mission, and some thoughts of course for those who lost their lives.

The mine was in "small town" New Zealand. A little town on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island, in Greymouth. A really delightful little town of which I have spent a lot of time in.

This just breaks my heart and one of the miners was a 17 year old who was down the mine for his first or second time. Such a horrible tragedy.

Thank you
Sam

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
twenty-nine new souls are in heaven right now. Prayers and blessing go to all the friends and family members who were hit with these terrible losses.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was so sad - many prayers for the families and friends of those brave miners.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad and a subject close to my heart as my hubby is in the coal industry, just surface mining but his company do operate underground mines and there are lots of lives lost each year on both kinds of mines. I didn't realise that surface mining was in fact as dangerous as underground mining. R.I.P to those who lost their lives.xx

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, i was watching it on the news Sam, and i was really hoping for a miracle like the chilean miners

I thought of you and Kellye, wondering if it was anywhere near you both?.

Many thoughts and prayers for their family and friends, and i hope their passing across the bridge is a swift one

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the world was hoping for another miracle. My heart just sunk when I heard that yesterday there was no hope for them. So tragic

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG this is the first I've heard this. I'm so sorry for their families.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was so upset when I read about the second explosion and that there was no hope for them. Such an awful tragedy. I didn't realize there were non-NZers working there too.
Devastating for their families and the town, indeed for the whole country.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following this on the radio, and was just so sad for all those involved. I prayed that it would go differently for the men and their families.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sad. Miners have such dangerous jobs and do a service for so many. My prayers are with their families.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There have been a lot of news reports about it here, and everybody was hoping for another miracle. Their families and friends are in my thoughts.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, I think the whole world was hoping for another miracle. It is such a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, their families and friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AJ thanks for letting me know about the other nationalities, I wasn't aware but gosh it is so horrible.

Susan, it's about 3-4 hours away from where Kellye lives. It's in a different island to me, but like I said I felt like I knew the area so well. No body that I knew had their families directly affected.

I know a lot of us say we have more compassion for animals than humans and I ALWAYS say that but gosh this has just broken my heart