Our cat is obsessed with 'phantoms'

kaisersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Betsygee: I found an app to make the memes and these were random sayings lol! I was laughing so hard at some of them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

benjeremy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By any chance is your cat on steroid meds? My cat was prescribed Prednisone for her IBD and suddenly she started acting like yours. She was seeing things I could no see etc. I did some research and found that a side effect of steroids in cats can be hallucinations. I later confirmed with the Vet that indeed mine happened to have a rare side effect. We stopped the steroids and she was back to normal.
No steroids or other drugs for Shadow. She's been healthy as an ox since she was a kitten, outside of being allergic to flea bites.

technog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In most cases, especially concerning the wall, ceiling, or floors, cats are hearing critters inside the walls or attic. A lot of folks will go into total denial over this, but contrary to popular opinion, a mouse or rat can occupy the nether-regions of a building indefinitely without making its way into human observation. This is true especially when there are animals guarding/occupying the house or if they have protected access to their food source. A building of any age WILL eventually become home to mice or rats, and even if they are very quiet.. cats can hear them moving around. Finally, because rodents have a very routine pattern to their daily sleep-forage schedule, a cat watching the wall at the same time each day only supports the probability of critter company on its daily routine. Some cats have better hearing than others, and some cats have better hunting skill whereas many just don't care.