Our cat has 'funny turns'

zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I discovered Gerald one day sleeping in our greenhouse. He stayed in there for 2 years, through some dreadful weather, absolutely terrified of us.  We slowly tamed him, had him neutered and he is now one of the family.  We have no idea of his age.

A few months' ago he started to display odd behaviour.  One moment he's as right as ninepence and the next his pupils enlarge and he's walking around the edges of the rooms, knocking everything flying, trying to climb up the walls, getting stuck in corners, not interested in his food or treats, no interest in being stroked and tickled and appearing stressed and confused.  I tried confining him to a cat basket once, thinking it would calm him, but after watching him turn circles in the basket for half an hour I gave up and let him out, when he continued as before.

We took him to the vet after the second attack.  He was given blood tests, which were clear, but they had no idea what was wrong with him.

These attacks are getting more and more frequent - now every couple of days.

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Zena

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! By any chance, does Gerald's back twitch or tail whip around like he can't control it during one of his episodes? My cat Frannie has FHS (Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome) and does some of the things you have described. Specifically the pupil dilation, restlessness, going to the corners of the room and confusion. And nothing will distract her from what she is doing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Happybird and Catspaw 66

Yes, even when he is not having one of these episodes, his tail is rarely still, especially when being fussed and he meows constantly.

Thanks for the link Catspaw.

xxxxx

zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just been googling and am now wondering if he is having a type of epileptic fit - grand mal.  xxx

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, some doctors think FHS is a type of epilepsy or something similar to epilepsy happens in the brain during an episode. Others think it is diet related or possibly a type of obsessive compulsive disorder.

zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, I see Happybird :)