Our BIG American/Canadian Road Trip

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been through most of these places a number of times and have highlighted some potential recommendations to your agenda:

21. Route 66 to the Grand Canyon NP (south rim).
I just have to say that I prefer the North Rim over the South Rim, and I have stayed at both the Kaibob Inn and the North Canyon Lodge. I liked the cabins at North Canyon Lodge better. If you're not afraid of large animals, take the mules into the canyon. We took my 70 year old MIL on that trip and she had a blast.
22. Gran Canyon NP and drive to Page, Arizona.
Page Arizona itself is pretty unimpressive, but if you like to see large dams, then it will be worth your while. Realize that there is a HUGE controversy about Glen Canyon Dam in Page - the lake that formed as a result of this dam covered not only environmental treasures that were unique in all nature, but native American burial grounds. It is the most hated dam ever built in this country.

But if you want to divert the drive a bit between Page and Zion, taking Hwy 98 will bring you by the Navajo National Monument, where there are Anasai ruins and lots of petroglyphs. Continuing up hwy 100 to 163 will take you through Monument Valley, one of the most photographed areas in this country. Of course you would need to back track to get back to Zion.

Also between Page and Zion is the town of Kanab, home of the most famous animal rescue centers in the country - Best Friends. I bet if you notified them in advance to arrange a tour of their place, they would accommodate you.

23. Page and drive to Zion NP.
24. Zion NP.Zion is close to automobile traffic as it was polluting the canyon. You have to park outside and take a shuttle bus through the canyon itself. It is not my favorite National Park out there, but very pretty.

We stayed in Springdale at the Driftwood Lodge. It was a nice motel.

25. Bryce Canyon NP and drive through scenic byway 12 to Escalante.
Bryce Canyon will boggle your mind. Pictures of it never do it justice. We always take the full 10 mile hike from the rim to the bottom of the canyon and back up to the top on another trail. If you don't want the full hike, at least hike a little way into the canyon. It gets weirder the closer you get to it. If you drive to the end of the park and take the trail to see the oldest living tree in the country (Pinyon Pine), make sure you have water and aspirin with you. You will be at a high enough altitude that you might start to experience altitude sickness. Plenty of water and aspirin will take the edge off.

We stayed at Bryce Canyon Lodge.

Escalante area is pretty, but not much to do around there that isn't prearranged. DH spent 2 weeks there in an aboriginal skill training class where he ate bugs and made fire from sticks. He loved it.

26. Continued drive on byway 12 to Moab.
Hwy 12 is very pretty through the Dixie National Forest. If you turn off on hwy 24 from 12 to get to Moab, you will pass through Capital Reef Monument. Stop at the scenic overlooks there, as there is some very interesting geology. Last time through there we stopped for a picnic at one of the overlooks.

27-29. Moab (Canyonlands NP, Arches NP and rafting on the Colorado).
We always stay at the Super 8 in Moab. Inexpensive with both a pool and hot tub. You will enjoy the hot tub after a long day of rafting and hiking. There are business in Moab that will arrange rafting tours. The Colorado River cuts through Utah just north of Moab, and you can drive along a road that follows it for a while - good pull outs if you just want to hop out and dabble your feet in the river.

My preference is Canyonlands over Arches, but catch the sunset in Arches from the Windows Section. If you want to get at least some hiking in, take the Devil's Garden Trail to Skyline Arch. Steve and I did a full 7 mile hike in this area that was very challenging, but you can just take a short .6 km walk to Skyline Arch. The hike to Delicate Arch (most famous arch in the park) is very long (half a day) and I don't recommend it with children. You can get good pictures of this arch from the overlook by the parking lot. Skyline Arch is actually more impressive (IMO).

While in Canyonlands, your best bet is the Island in the Sky District and don't miss the short walk to Mesa Arch. Upheaval Dome is also interesting, as well as the scenic overlook at Green River Overlook. If you have a 4 wheel vehicle, take a drive on Shafer Trail, but I will warn you that it will scare you if you are afraid of heights (sharp drop on a dirt road with lots of switchbacks). If you've ever seen the Jeep commercial with the Jeep perched on a cliff overlooking a river canyon below, this was taken along the Shafer Trail. It's a long bumpy drive, but the photo shots along the way rival the Grand Canyon. We always stop for a picnic at a pull out just below the rim of Dead Horse Point State Park that overlooks a gooseneck in the Colorado River. You can continue on this road back to Moab, and you will see all sorts of petroglyphs on the cliffs along the Colorado River on the way. Windows in the Sky is better than either The Needles or Maze districts in Canyonlands (IMO).

30. Drive through Mesa Verde NP to Durango, Colorado.
31. Driving scenic road 550 (Million Dollar Highway) to Ouray.
32. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison and driving to Colorado Springs.
33. Colorado Springs.
34-35. Denver, Colorado.
36-38. Rocky MT NP.
39. Driving through Cheyenne, Wyoming to Custer, S. Dakota.
40. Custer State Park, S. Dakota.
Somewhere in this area is a road by the name of Needles Highway. If you have a chance to drive this road, do it. The first time DH was out there with me, he asked how long to travel the length of this highway. He guess about 1 hour. He was stunned when I told him I was giving us 8 hours. There are so many cool things to see and pull offs with hiking trails along the way, you could get engrossed with this road. It's almost spiritual in nature.

The big attraction in this area is Mount Rushmore, but I personally enjoyed Crazy Horse Monument more. Crazy Horse Monument is still in progress of being built. I saw it first in about 1965 and then again about 1995. It has changed a lot in 30 years and I do plan on going back again to check on its progress.

41-42. Rapid City, S. Dakota (visiting the Badlands NP and a few other places). Badlands have very cool geology!

At this point you could get suckered into traveling to Wall Drugs. Trust me, you will see the signs. If you do, buy a t-shirt and take a picture of yourself in it when you get back home and send them the picture. The joke about Wall Drugs is that it has advertisements all over the world for it. Mostly tourist trap, it does have some very cool souveniers.

Did I mention to carry water with you at all times in these areas? Oh, and if you want more detailed information about any of the parks I commented on, I have park brochures on hand from my trips out there. I can look up details if you like. I also just found the detailed itinerary of our last trip where we took my MIL with us. I have addresses and phone #'s of all the parks in Arizona and Utah if you want them.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure to look up and find the "pigtail bridges" on a highway near Mount Rushmore. You won't see anything like it anywhere else.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Be sure to look up and find the "pigtail bridges" on a highway near Mount Rushmore. You won't see anything like it anywhere else.
The pigtail bridges are on Needles Highway. Needles Highway cuts into Custer State Park (I believe) from the north.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

So, perhaps 2012 or 2013 you can come back and visit the eastern and midwestern portions of our beautiful continent!

Sounds really exciting!
Definitely! I have an East Coast trip laid out in my mind already - starting in February 201X in Florida and climbing up during spring time, or even better, start in September 201X up in Maine and go down to be in Florida in December...

Momofmany, thank you so much for the detailed comments!
Already adding some of this to my notes (some I already had). Lorie D. had already mentioned Wall Drug but I thought it was further to the east. I see now that it's right by Badlands, so adding it to our itinerary.

We're actually considering a major change of plans: taking out the Canadian Rockies bit and replacing it with more time in Yellowstone, Glacier, and on the way from Montana to Seattle. It's not because we think the Canadian Rockies aren't pretty enough - on the contrary, we don't want to rush our trip there and will keep them for a separate longer trip. We feel we should spend at least 3-4 weeks there, probably when the kids are older.