Our Beautiful Mia Having 3-5 Kittens In 1-2 Weeks !!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

I hope you are all well. So we have 2 beautiful Maine Coon cats, Mia and Mojo.

We were being super careful with not letting them together and were hoping Mia would have her first litter of kittens around 18 months old.

She has had 4 heats so far, we noticed she was starting to get larger in one area... and no more heats for around 6 weeks... as you've guessed, they managed to do the business when we had no clue she was even interested, so far she has been super obvious when she is and isn't in heat and made it clear to Mojo not to bother, so we thought we were on top of it and all good...

Anyway, we are very excited, before you all say yes we will get them spayed and neutered, we just really wanted to have one litter of kittens so my partners mum can have one to keep her company, and a good friend of mine lost her partner AND mum last year so we are hoping she would like one or 2 kittens as well, hoping they are all healthy.

So we took Mia for an ultrasound yesterday and amazingly the vet let me in while they did it as they had said if they were busy we'd have to leave her there and pick her up a few hours later. They weren't busy so they just did it ASAP. I've got photos from it but they're on my phone so will update this later :) Mia is now 15 months old, she is younger than we would like but she is so super friendly and happy now, the most friendly and happy she has ever been since we have had her (we've had her since she was around 3 months old) :)

She was quite timid when we first got her but she has really come out of herself in the last 6 or so months and even more so now. Vet told us she thought there were definitely 3 kittens and they were already 'well developed' - Mia's heart and the kittens hearts are all strong, and all looks good.

She gave us the International Cat Care | Passionate about cats website which has been super helpful as well as reading all the advice on here from the various experts, @stefanz Sarthur2 Sarthur2 talkingpeanut talkingpeanut and many many more - I've been reading about others' kittens and donated kitten supplies to a couple of you doing rescue things as well @ashade1 and I forgot the other one but you are doing great work.

So now we are just planning and getting prepared. We had thought she had a bit longer to go, we can't feel any kittens moving inside her but the vet saw them moving on the ultrasound - was amazing to watch!! :)

So we have so far bought digital scales, a heating pad that's not a mains one, as I had one for brewing but it's 240V - apparently they give out some EMF that cats are sensitive to, so we got a low voltage one, we were planning to make her 3 nests in our 3 different rooms and see which ones she likes... :)

I just bought some needless syringes, latex gloves (in case) and a thermometer, as my partners flat stays quite cold even if it's warm outside (we are in the UK) - so want to make sure it's warm enough for mom and babies

What do you all think of this? Royal Canin Babycat Milk | Great deals at zooplus

This is what the vet recommended in case we need to supplement any kittens... Is this OK? Im wary of Royal Canin as we got the Maine Coon kitten food and then read it's full of corn and other fillers and other Maine Coon owners swear by not using it.

I was thinking to get this: Royal Canin Babycat Instinctive Mousse | Great deals at zooplus! for a little later on but then read it's full of sugar - is this OK as growing kittens need lots of energy, just wary of this brand as I said.
Although getting ahead of myself here, just want to make sure they all arrive OK and grow well. :) We are SOOOOOOO excited... we have feliway we were going to spray on the bedding when we make the nests over the weekend...

I'll post pictures soon. Thank you all for any help and support in the next few weeks, and thank you all for all the amazing support you give to everyone else on this site as well.

Big hugs, Clare :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi oh and the vet also said we need to buy Panacur worming treatment and make sure the kittens get wormed at 2, 5 and 8 weeks as per the correct dose for their weights then - is this OK?
I asked the vet receptionist today but bless her, she is a bit young and inexperienced and doesn't really ever commit to anything, she said she didn't think it mattered whether it was gel or liquid so long as they got the right dose - makes sense - if any of you have any experience of either I'd really welcome your advice. Thank you :)

And we were going to get these microwaveable snuggle pads as well as they seem great - Heat Pads & Heat Pillows: SnuggleSafe Heat Pad for Pets

:)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello sorry one more question - I asked the vet whether we should give Mia KMR now as I've read some of you saying this, and I also asked her about giving her kitten food ie the mum and babycat now -

She said no, bear in mind she had examined her right there and knows how far along she is and her size etc - she is a Maine Coon so a huge frame, but fairly lean and lanky as well - she was around 4.5kg before she got pregnant - now around 5kg -

She said if we give her either of those now, she could get too big and the kittens could get too big as well and too big for her to easily push out!!! So she might need a caesarian - only if we DID give her that kitten food so obviously we won't do that now!!

Just wanted your thoughts in this if any of you could spare the time - as I hadn't thought about the kittens getting too BIG before they come out and any possible complications!! She did say though after they are born feed as much baby cat and kitten food as mum will eat just leave it out for her - didn't say about KMR after birth, will ask again :-) guess if we just have it on hand and then can have if / when needed. We also have honey as read about that too. :-)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's 2 stills from her ultrasound! The first she was lying down, the second standing on her rear legs with the vet nurse holding her! She was so good bless her! I think she knew she was being cared for!! Xxx ❤❤❤❤❤

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure why it posted the 3rd photo - its just a repeat of the first sorry about that. trying to upload a video :-) Sorry we are sooooo excited so wanted to share it!! Vet said she thought there were definitely 3 kittens but likely more, she said it's hard to tell exactly how many as when you move the scanner thing you're not 1005 sure if you are seeing the same ones or new ones!! She thought more likely 4 or maybe even 5. Either way we just want everything to go well for our beautiful girl. She now has a shaved belly bless her, hadn't thought about that. Actually vet said this is good (as she had really long hair) so less to get matted and needing cleaning when she is nursing. She doesn't have milk yet vet said. :-)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom should have kitten food (wet and dry) throughout her pregnancy and while nursing. I've never heard of it making kittens too big.

When do you plan to neuter dad? Mom can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, and without going into heat. I think you've learned how easily that can happen.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks for the replies guys :-)

We are just following what the vet said. Mia is eating however much Orijen dry food and Thrive complete wet food (adult) that she can eat.

It woudl be great to get feedback from you about the kitten food and KMR - I am reluctant to get the babycat stuff from Royal Canin as I don't trust the brand, but anyone more experienced than me, will listen. :-)

She doesn't eat much each time but more than she did before she was pregnant and many more times a day. We just gave her some advantage flea treatment that the vet said is OK for pregnant cats (they normally get stronghold) - she doesn't have fleas, it's just the monthly thing and she had a Milbemax wormer that the vet said was OK.

It's just hard as our other older neutered male is soooo greedy and if you leave food out and he's in for even a second he will stealthily sneak into their room where their food is and munch it, so now it's warmer outside we shut him out overnight and are very careful during the day that he doesn't eat too much! Will make sure he is totally shut out of whichever room she has her kittens in :-)

talking peanut that's what the vet said, as I had specifically asked her about the mum and babycat food, as I had read on here you need to give pregnant cats that food - she said NO WAY for Mia right now and also until she gives birth, as it will greatly increase the risk she might need a caesarian, if the kittens get too big. She said they are already 'pretty developed' - not sure if maine coon kittens are bigger generally - my partner looked it up a bit and seemed to think they are the same size they just grow faster?!

Not sure when we will get Mojo neutered, it's no problem keeping them apart now we know Mia can be on heat / get pregnant without obviously showing it, it's just such a shame keeping them apart as they get on so well and play together - I guess we will see which room she picks to nest in first, and so long as the kittens and birth goes OK, pretty soon after that. I knew you guys would pounce on the neutering thing, you do say that on your site so I guess I can't blame you!!

And I totally understand the reasons for it - I've never lived in an area with a huge feral population of cats, nor have I seen or heard of cats being put down due to them not being able to be rehomed - I know this happens a lot even in the UK now, as I looked it up a couple of months ago - it's awful - even Battersea cats and dogs home put down animals apparently (even though they say they don't) and the RSPCA too - that's too bad.

I used to volunteer at the cats protection league here, and all the cats that came in got rehomed with minimal problems, so didn't really experience any issues there either - ditto with our local animal rescue home, we volunteered and they already had enough help both with cats AND dogs, which is totally the opposite of what I read in most areas on this site - and finally we did adopt a cat from battersea cats and dogs home but sadly he hated our then neighbours cat, now our adopted cat, so we had to send him back and look for a home with a much lower cat population. so we did try to do our bit - we even tried to get my partners mum to adopt a cat from there but they insisted she had to come in personally rather than her carer (my partners brother) - she is 85 and can't travel too far in the car for toilet issues - so that was one cat there who could've had a lovely forever home with her that due to their 'rules' lost out - so here we are. I grew up in the countryside as well and there were lots of barn cats and farm cats, in fact my first family cat was from a place like that - we had her neutered - but there never seemed to be a problem, they made themselves very useful catching rats and mice etc, didn't ever seem to an over cat population but I was just a kid then.

How many kittens do you think from the Ultrasound?? :-)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The point in getting him neutered now would be to protect Mia. I know you want them to be able to interact safely, and they clearly can't, at all, until he is fixed. Getting him fixed now would allow them to interact again after the babies are born. He will be fertile for up to a month after delivery.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey I was just checking out cat milk, the KMR, and other threads on here.

You all recommend Pet AG and then the vet we went to recommended Royal Canin KMR.

I just checked out the ingredients, I'm no expert, but the pet ag stuff has pre and probiotics in, which sounds AMAZING and exactly what a newborn kitten needs - the Royal Canin, well, doesn't -

just flat out doesn't -

so surely the petag stuff is loads better, no?? I am going to buy the PetAg stuff - seems its from the US and not so readily available here in the UK but can find a place where we should get it next week they must've already shipped it over -

I am just shocked (again) at how poor the Royal Canin appears to be compared to the alternative - yet again reinforcing my belief not to trust Royal Canin as a brand

So can anyone please recommend what is the best food to give momma cat both wet and dry while she is nursing after the birth??

Is the thrive kitten OK?? And the orijen dry so long as the wet food is kitten or can you recommend any non royal canin better more nutritious brands for momma??

Thank you so much xxxx

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I posted a while ago about our cat Mia being pregnant..,

So she's seemed super chilled since her ultrasound 2 weeks ago... And has had 2 kittens so far...

They are soooo incredibly tiny... Even tinier than I ever imagined they could be... Making the sweetest little miaow squeak noise... She is panting and purring so we think she has more...

She ate a bit of the afterbirth but not all yet, she's licking them a lot - one latched on right away but now the 2 aren't latched they are just snuggled into her... Should I try to put them on a nipple or leave her to it? It's been maybe 15 mins? She's eating more of the afterbirth now...

Thanks for any help!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok well she's had 3 kittens now, they all seem to be healthy and have just about figured out how to suckle! Yay! Doesn't look like she's going to have any more so let's see how it goes. She's right next to our bed so should hear if anything happens. XXXX

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are they doing now?
If they're having a tough time, then yes, give them some kmr though it's suggested they drink mothers milk for the first to days at the least.
Also, are they missing a lot of fur on their legs, faces, bellies, tails, etc? If they're reeeaally tiny, they could potentially be premature.
Here's a picture of a premature 1 day old:

Attachments

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, here's their weights...

4.47am

17th June ginger 1 - 92g
Ginger 2 - 108g
Black and white 1 - 92g
Black and white 2 - 101g

Awfully sadly she had a 5th kitten which was 4th out, we thought she was done after no3, and then we were just about to go to bed and realised in the dim light she had something else coming out of her... Think no4 was half in half out for a couple of minutes... Then it just lay there lifeless... We cut the umbilical cord for her and she didn't want to know, wouldn't lick it like the others or anything... So we spent probably around an hour trying to revive it... Tried everything we read about... Nothing worked... It was 107g poor little thing

no 5 came out looking similar but as it was so close to no 4 like 5 or 10 mins after I rubbed it with a towel nearly straight away and it started moving!!! It was like I rubbed it to life... I'm sooooooo happy I knew to do that.... We are so grateful to have 4 babies that look well and were suckling for about 30 mins... They seem good weights what do you think??

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They don't look to be premature, they're not missing any fur really... We have 2 ginger and white ones and 2 black and white ones

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have a couple of questions !

Momma is purring curled up near them but not right with them and they're not suckling now but they all did for about 30 mins earlier. They're only a few hours old!

Should we try to get momma to be with them all the time or is it ok ? I know she takes breaks but as they're sooooo Young???

And

When we had the awful stillborn, right from when it came out it was cold... Our room temp is 24celcius and we put the heating on now for them. They have a low voltage heating pad that's in the box but with the towel on top it was only around 25c so I got out my higher powered heating pad that we weren't going to use but we were scared they'd all be cold as the healthy ones felt a little cold too... So now the 4 kittens are all on this with a towel on top... Temp says 37c is this too hot ? I used to use it under a demijohn for making Kombucha... It feels warm in the room just don't want to do anything other than the very best for them...

1 kitten is now nursing from momma the other 3 are on the pad squeaking every so often!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a big cry and hug and blessing for the poor little orange kitten. Its awful how fast things happen. Maybe we could've acted faster... Maybe we could've done something more... What did we miss?