Our 16 year old Persian has gone Blind & Deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just came across this thread about your dear Sophie (I don't visit the health forum very often; it makes me so sad). I also had a Sophie with hyperthyroidism, a Ms. Willie who lost her sight, and a Clancey who the vet said was blind---but wasn't.

While it is indeed scary and heart-breaking to watch your kitty lose their sight, for the most part a cat adapts very, very well. It sounds as if Sophie has sinus problems quite a bit; is this something new for her?

This does seem very puzzling; the high bp accounts for the initial blindness, apparently, but it sounds as if Sophie's bp is under control now. I skimmed thru the previous posts, but I may have missed something; does the opthamologist have any idea why these episodes are still happening?

Your Sophie is a very lucky girl to have people who are willing to do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. Sending loads of healing to your sweet girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input! The opthamologist is really frustrated too! He's never seen anything like this! We were so happy when we learned the detachments could be treated! We thought that the blindness was totally related to the High Blood pressure which caused the detachments! (100% in one eye and 70% in the other) Once the BP was controlled the retinas reattched and she had full vision until it started to "come and go"! She's had the URI for a couple of months now and we are wondering if that is the undelying causenand if some of the meds raised the blood pressure!
We too feel sad when we see so many sad stories on the site! But thanks to folks like you and the other folks who have given advise and medical suggestions and options it raises hope and you don't feel so alone when dealing with our sick "fuzzy little children"! We are optomistic that the L-Lysine may help with the URI! Because the clavomox after almost 30 days of dosing doesn't seem to work which kind of says it's not a bacterial infection!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I've just read this thread and I'm sending many many vibes to Sophie . My name's also Sophie, funnily, so I'm thinking of your little girl especially. How frustrating that the vet and the opthamologist don't know what's going on! I'm in a sort of similar situation with Mackerel- she's been diagnosed with ARF and very bad (but regenerative!) anaemia, and we don't really know why... but at least in our case Mackers seems to be over the worst of it and is getting better. You must be very worried.
to you both.

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had atough coupleof days! Sophies stopped eating,at least she is drinking! Vomitted up some of her pills! We're taking her to the vet tomorrow She had been eating very well through all this for the last month! She's been on clavomox for 30 days, took her last pill this morning! Her hose is still running with a heavy thick discharge and her eyes have a lot of mucus! We are really concerned! Her vision is back a little but not totally! Thanks for the vibes!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, not eating for more than 48 hours is VERY serious in cats!!!!! Can you get a little food on your finger into her mouth? Or is she throwing up everything?

Carolina has a video showing her syringe-feeding one of her cats, you may want to take a look and see if you can figure something out until you can get to the vet.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, not eating for more than 48 hours is VERY serious in cats!!!!!

Laurie's right, you need to get some food into Sophie. That discharge doesn't sound good at all, especially if she's been on antibiotics for a month. I'm glad she's going to the vet tomorrow. Sending loads of "get well soon" for sweet Sophie!

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Checked Sophie in @ the animal hospital for tests and intravenous! Please send prayers and good vibes our way! She'll probably be in the hospital for a couple of days!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh, you've all been through so much, and Sophie is such a courageous little fighter - many vibes for a quick return to good health.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Miss Sophe; I hope she's back home with you soon. Sending loads of healing to your girl.

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We checked with the animal hospital to see how Sophie was doing and to get initial test results! Sophie was in the process of receiving an I.V. and when the Vet went to check on her she discovered that Sophie had passed away between 5:00 and 5:30 pm today!

We are heartbroken as that is not the result that we expected when we left her at the hospital! Thanks for all the advice, prayers and vibes for our little girl Sophie!
She has crossed the Rainbow bridge to be with her brothersand sisters who went before her!

Fred & Diane

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read this. You did everything you could for Sophie. I'm so sorry she died.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. She was blessed to be so loved all her days. Prayers for you both.

sophielew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the prayers and vibes for Sophie!

Fred & Diane

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, God, NO!!!! I am so, so sorry for your loss. You must be devastated right now. You did everything you could for her, this is just so sad. You all are in my prayers.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this, but she had wonderful parents who did so much for her, but sadly her little body just wasn't strong enough to keep fighting. RIP little one

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, this is the last thing I expected to read. Oh you two did so much for her. Please don't have any regrets. You went miles for her.

She was so lucky to have you both.

I am just so, so, sorry.

RIP sweet little Sophie.
And many healing prayers for you too.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry to hear this, truly not what I expected. You did your best for Sophie, and I'm sure she knew how much you loved her. I'm so sorry for your loss.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!
I am SO sorry!!!!

Sophie had amazing parents, and she was one little fighter, and such a brave girl! She had a long, full, and I'm sure beautiful life, obviously so very very loved.

I'm just so so sad for you.

Rest in peace, Sophie.

Status
Not open for further replies.