Ouchy

stephx86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI Everyone!

I just have a question about my little Tuxedo boy Odin. He's about 11 weeks old and a joy in my home. He's a really great cat with a loving, social, fun, at times needy, personality. He's very smart, and I have even taught him how to give his paw at request

My dilemmia is this:

Should I get him declawed?? I have gotten mixed reviews from friends and would like to know your opinions. For now I just clip them.

Also, he bites... a lot...is he teething? What can I do to stop this (he has a bear toy that I try to refer him to when he bites but he still continues to bite me)? What, if there are, some good products for him to bite/play with?

I appreciate the help,
-Steph

meiam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
personally i think that declawing a cat is wrong, there are several new things available to protect your furniture, and even caps you can put over your cats claws...my Paco bites and grabs me with his claws at times and as he is 5-6 years old his claws are big and it hurts, but i would never have his claws removed, i think it's just mean...that's just my opinion though

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stephx86

HI Everyone!

I just have a question about my little Tuxedo boy Odin. He's about 11 weeks old and a joy in my home. He's a really great cat with a loving, social, fun, at times needy, personality.

My dilemmia is this:

Should I get him declawed?? I have gotten mixed reviews from friends and would like to know your opinions. For now I just clip them.

Also, he bites... a lot...is he teething? What can I do to stop this (he has a bear toy that I try to refer him to when he bites but he still continues to bite me)? What, if there are, some good products for him to bite/play with?

I appreciate the help,
-Steph
God in heaven, no! Declawing is inhumane and cruel. It's extremely painful to the cat. When they declaw a cat, they remove their KNUCKLE! If you had their claws removed, you would have to guaruntee that they would never ever leave the house because they would be defensless! If it's at all possible, I would let your cat keep his claws. My cats have theirs, i would never have them removed.

When he bites you, are you playing with him? Like, is your hand his opponent while playing? Because I know that encourages biting. I'm not too sure about the biting, but I'm so opposed to declawing.
Thanks for asking, sorry if i sounded overly adamant.

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meiam

personally i think that declawing a cat is wrong, there are several new things available to protect your furniture, and even caps you can put over your cats claws...my Paco bites and grabs me with his claws at times and as he is 5-6 years old his claws are big and it hurts, but i would never have his claws removed, i think it's just mean...that's just my opinion though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephx86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's good with the clawing, doesn't do it much at all. I just wanted to know what would be the best thing to do, thanks! I wouldn't want him to be in pain.

with the biting it is not always with play...he'll just randomly bite and it hurts.

meiam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

he's good with the clawing, doesn't do it much at all. I just wanted to know what would be the best thing to do, thanks! I wouldn't want him to be in pain.

with the biting it is not always with play...he'll just randomly bite and it hurts.
my Paco does that too, and actually he has started to do it less, it really hurts, but that's just part of who he is

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh bless you!!
and God love you!